Trading up with David Carr

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Mar 3, 2007.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

There was an article this morning in the Atlanta-Journal Constitution that said the Texans may have a deal in place with Cleveland to trade their first and David Carr to Cleveland for the #3 overall, in order to draft Peterson.

Interesting...

2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think it's very possible to trade up using David Carr as the "bait".

Say for instance we want to move up and get somebody elses 5 or 6 we got it made. We throw in David Carr and they'll be happy to swap one of those.

On the first day picks however I'm pretty sure the rest of the NFL is going to look at David Carr like Kryptonite.

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I would prefer to see the Texans use Carr as bait in trading down from #8. hold on now, this might be just inticing enough to pick up two picks (2nd & 3rd) the Texans have so many needs :shades:

4. rvguy121

rvguy121 RVGuy

That would be great! I'd do that in a New York minute!:marionaner:

5. Clash_Fan3605

Clash_Fan3605 Veteran

I know this is off-topic, but what exactly is a New York Minute? That has bugged me for a while.

6. Koolbrz

Koolbrz Veteran

This would be a great move!! Peterson would be an awesome add. to this team. We can than draft Kolb in the 3rd. and let him learn the system while Rosenfels leads the team for the next yr or so.

7. rvguy121

rvguy121 RVGuy

How about in a heatbeat??? Better no?? Not really sure about the New York minute, but have heard it alot...

8. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

New York City is a very fast paced environment. The term "New York Minute" stems from this, because in NY, so many things happen so quickly.

9. Sco-tai

Sco-tai Veteran

I've been a fan of Adrian's since his days of playing high school ball in Palestine, TX. But I'm not convinced that he's worth a possible 3rd round pick (in trading Carr...which is what I've read we could get for Carr) over someone like Lynch. Sure...I liked Peterson's combine numbers, too....but I hate his injury history.
    Just saying, with as many holes as we have to fill, I'm just unsure trading UP to get 1 player is a great idea.:stirpot:

I guess time will tell.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Sounds like we're getting a good deal. It's like getting a 1st round pick for David(800pts= the 21st pick in the first round).

I'm not seeing that kind of value in David... but if Cleveland does.... sweet.

11. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Well this is one thing that I completely agree with John McClain on . . .

Kubiak and Smith will NOT trade up, under any circumstances. They want draft picks. If they trade Carr, it will be for additional picks. If they can trade down for additional picks, they will do that that.

But trade up? FUHGEDABOUTIT!!!!!

12. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I would only consider the trade up if Joe Thomas is available. If he's not then we gotta take Okoye/Landry or use Carr as bait to trade back and pick up a Levi Brown/Reggie Nelson/Marshawn Lynch later in the first.

13. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I don't know if I could believe we'd trade DC and swap firsts with Cleveland to get Peterson; I just can't see Kubiak doing that. This really seems like hype to me, seeing as we passed on Bush last year, everyone is trying to justify their mock drafts were wrong by saying "see, they're making an effort to not screw up this year".

I have a feeling that if we trade up, it's for someone else. Say CJ or a QB.

Just my thoughts.

14. QB75

QB75 Veteran

Oh this can't be true. Because every so-called expert on the board insists that Carr has no trade value and should have been cut by now.

:shades:

15. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

one second

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think it would be better for Carr to be released, and let him make his own deal as a free agent. He could have been dealt by now, if it weren't for his existing contract.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Peterson is the kind of running back you take in the top 5... he's #1 overall, if it weren't for his durability issues.

Reggie Bush has not done any of the things that a top 5 candidate(as a running back) has to do. People were trying to get us to draft him #1 overall, because he might help us in the Kick Return game..... That's just stupid, and poor risk management of a high draft pick.

Whether we do it, or someone else trades up to get Reggie Bush, to me, it will say more about Reggie than it will about the Texans.

18. joshri

joshri Rookie

I think they should trade up to get the #2 pick and Joe Thomas

19. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Do you mean AP in that last sentece? My reasoning, though, was that I didn't think we'd do it because Kubiak doesn't have a history of taking them in the 1st to begin with...much less going out of his way to trade up and take one. By no means am I saying he's not worth it, I just don't think it would be a trade up for him imparticular.

20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The dark side is strong in you. Filled with hate you are.

Loverz know that an elite Hall of Fame talent has been brought down by a sorry team. If only 31 other NFL teams weren't such haters, too, we could really make a deal.

:bubble: