Trade with Lions?????

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by mussop, Apr 14, 2014.

1. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

There is an article on NFL.com that says Clowney visited the Lions. The article is titled Jadeveon Clowney to visit with Detroit Lions. Can't do a link from phone will add later.

Anyway they suggest a pre draft trade of Suh. My question is if the Lions offered Suh and #10 for 1.1. Would you do it?

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

As much as I despise Suh's play leading to penalties and injuries, I would think seriously about that trade.

3. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

He's due for a pay day. Don't think it's in the cards with JJ's deal coming up.

4. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Yeh hadn't thought of that.

5. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Doesn't Suh have a cap hit of like $20 million this year? No way we can fit that into the cap.

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Suh + their #10? Nope, not enough. If the speculation about us getting 2 or 3 picks this year AND 1 or 2 picks in next year's draft are indeed probable, then that's the way I would trade.

Edit: Just read the other posts about Suh being due a new contract very soon. That just reinforces my "No vote".

7. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I'm not opposed to trading down with the Lions but want no part of Suh in that trade.

8. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

That would be an expensive move for Detroit. I feel like we still could get a really good player at 10 so I would do it to.

Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
    Anthony Barr LB UCLA
    Taylor Lewan OT Michigan
    Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    Eric Ebron TE North Carolina
    Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
    Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State

That list minus a couple of guys is what you would be choosing from. Possibly 1 or more of the big three QB's Could still be available. There's not anyone on that list that wouldn't play significant minutes.

9. powda

powda Hall of Fame

You'd have to know Suh was onboard and willing to extend/restructure his contract. If he's a 1 year rental it's not a consideration. And what's left at #10? If you dont have a primo target that you love, well maybe you pass. One of the goals here should be to restock the pantry with a lot of quality young talent. Suh would be a massive cap hit. I'd favor 3 or 4 additional picks over Suh I think.

And finally, is Suh a Bob McNair kinda guy? I think we know.

10. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

if any trade eventuates it will be after the 3QB and clowney come to town this week. doing their last due diligence on the players.

but to answer the OP, i hate suh but his a beast and he would help this defence tremendously however that expiring contract what makes this a fairly strong no for me.

I agree with kiwi that if we did trade with the lions i dont want suh. would take a lot on their part to move up though

11. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

I would love to have Suh on the team, but the cap figures make it basically impossible. None of the players in this draft are anywhere near his talent level, but they will be a fifth of his cap level and not come with the baggage.

The Jags seem a more likely trade partner with their cap space. If the Texans take a QB and the Rams get an OT, that's the most likely tradeup point for Clowney.

12. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

This makes no sense on several levels, A/Can't afford him... B/last year of his contract... C/A new long term contract for Suh makes it near impossible to re-sign Watt... D/Not sure McNair wants that attitude in the locker room

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

$22 mil and the last year of his contract voids after the SB this season.

Square in the ain't going to happen bin.

But I'd kinda like for something more firm to come out that they were even considering it because it sure would put to rest the McNair will only tolerate squeaky clean players meme.

14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

We could trade our 1.1 to Detroit for their 1.10 and Reggie Bush. We could finally take Reggie Bush with the 1st overall pick and make up for 2006.

I kid...I kid...:worldpeace:

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

As much as I'd like to see Jj Watt & Jd Clowney on the same team, I can't imagine there would be more than one team out there that would want to see Ndamaka Suh & JaDaveon Clowney on the same team.

If I'm the Lions, I'd love to have Clowney, but no way I'd want to give up Suh for him. That's like... swimming upstream, a lot of work to get nothing done.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

No way this happens with the $$$$ that will be spent on Watt. When does the bank of AJ contract run out?

Fat chance that happens with McNair, unless BOB can talk him into change his philosophies. (Not gonna happen.)

17. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Yeah... now if the Lions wanna offer up MegaTron... I'm listening.

(probably can't afford him either...)

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

What if Suh not part of a trade but 1.10 and other picks?

19. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

10 is quite the leap. Pretty astronomical if you consider a couple prospects to be blue chippers.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Next year's first & second would have to be included (along with other picks from this year), or next year's first & 2016's