Trade for Ronnie Brown?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by dalemurphy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Okay, I'm not into making up hypothetical trades and fishing for big names that we "could" get in a trade to make our team look like a fantasy football menace.

Having said that, Mortenson reported that the Dolphins may be interested in trading away Ronnie Brown. I wouldn't consider that news except that Mortenson strings are pulled by Parcells.

I would be extremely interested in trading for Brown... Something in the neighborhood of a 2nd round pick and a conditional pick would be great... We would just have to make sure he gets a grueling and thorough physical.

Ronnie Brown is a beast!

What do you think?

2. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I'd do it .. for a 3rd and a conditional pick, not a second and a conditional pick, but only because I have him on one of my fantasy teams.

Edit: I'd never trade Sage ... but hypothetically ... Sage for Winfield and a 4th?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

There's no rumor about the Texans trading for Ronnie Brown. Which makes this a NFL topic.

If Brown is healthy, why would Parcells deal him? Sounds like damaged goods to me. And I'm not confident in the Texans ability to ascertain Brown's soundness after this grueling physical. Pass.

4. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I'm more interested in finding the next Ryan Grant - but only if he won't be a stick in the mud and demand a long term deal after playing in only 8 games or whatever it was. That 3rd stringer for the Browns looks pretty good to me.... Jerome Harrison... unfortunately he's one of their draft products and won't be cut in a couple of weeks/

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I'm not interested in trading away any more 2nd rd. picks. can we please just keep one for a change? the last time the Texans had a 2nd rd. pick was 2006 & he turned out to be pretty good :specnatz:

6. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Sure, but those 2nd round picks in '07 and '08 were spent well, i think.

7. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Can't go wrong with an Auburn tailback.

8. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Unfortunately something is wrong if Ricky Williams is beating him out.

9. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

It's all in the chronic, man.

:tease:

10. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

+ 1

11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Exactly, a guy that comes in that hasn't played a full NFL season in several years now that has had his own injury issues and drug problems beats out a guy that was having a really good year before he got injured last year????

Sounds like damaged goods to me as well. We already have a lot of those.

12. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Louis Rankin (Raiders) is another player at the bottom of his team's depth chart that, in the first two preseason games, looks like a pretty good player.

13. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

This is actually pretty interesting to me, although I don't think I'd give them next years #2, and that's probably what it would take. I think I'd either go with a 3rd that could become a 2nd based on performance, or I'd go with a 2nd in the 2010 draft. The reason for this is that even if things are progressing on track for Brown's ACL recovery, we're likely not going to be able to see how far back he's going to come until 2009, and unless he's the rare exception, he'll probably be able to play in '08, but won't be fully recovered from a performance standpoint.

That said, if he can recover to the extent numerous others have (Jamaal Lewis is the first that comes to mind quickly), he's a workhorse who could potentially be teamed with Slaton as a change of pace back, and provide us a very good backfield. I just don't think it improves us more than marginally for the coming season.

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Trade for a RB that is in year 4 of a 5 year contract after coming off a knee injury? No thanks.

Interesting that both Williams and Brown have had significant injuries after going through a platoon system in Auburn together.

15. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Ronnie Brown is a brutal running back, a perfect complement to Slaton.

16. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

You can't control what the knee do...

17. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Not to down what your saying, but....Ricky Williams if he had his head on straight for his entire career would've been one of the alltime greats. If he's focused right now (even at this stage of his career) I could see how he could beat out a healthy Reggie Brown. (and no, I don't think Reggie Brown is healthy...I agree with you that there's something wrong with him right now) he's one of those guys that just makes you shake your head at the way he wasted all that great talent. Hell I still wouldn't be surprised if Ricky came in and was one of the best backs in the NFL through 6 or 7 games........then I wouldn't be surprised if he flunked a piss test in week 8. As a general sports fans that likes to watch great players it's so sad what that guy did to his career.

What's even sadder is when you see players like David Anderson who weren't blessed with the god given talent of a "Ricky Williams", but none the less they have to work their ass off......too bad you couldn't put a David Anderson like drive with a Ricky Williams' like talent, but I guess that's what makes the alltime greats.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  18. JayCee

JayCee Veteran

from profootballtalk.com

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

That "whatever" attitude that Williams has toward football (and probably everything else in life) is exactly what marijuana does to the brain.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

If he was 100% healthy I'd agree with you but as others have already said , we have enough damaged goods at the RB spot as it is . I'm content to ride out the season with what we have now and maybe look to find a good back in next years draft ....

I'd rather build from within and save my salary cap , trade and FA bullets until the team is poised to make a serious run at winning it all. They may make the play-offs this season but I think its next season or the following that they are serious contenders to reach / win a Superbowl.