Trade for Philip Rivers

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by 3960AD, Oct 3, 2005.

1. 3960AD

3960AD Rookie

I think we should send a 3rd rounder and a receiver to San Diego for Philip Rivers. And if we continue to do bad, we could trade our 1st round pick (lets assume it would be top 3 or so) to Denver for the 2 that they have. With those picks, we could use it on some good OLs. Or a WR and OL. Whatever it is, we should upgrade the OL. We could spend the rest of the draft helping the DL and probably getting a RB (Lendale White) to back up Davis.

Thoughts??

2. touttail

touttail All Pro

That's it, trade for Rivers. And just what has he proven he could do????? He's never started in a NFL game.

bobby 119C :tv:

3. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah All Pro

San Diego would not trade away Rivers to another team unless the other team gives up a high 1st round pick.

4. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

If Carr is not the QB, the Texans need to find a boring veteran to come in as the starter for a couple of years. Until the Texan's resolve the protection paying for another high dollar is a futile investment.

5. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

Why not just send the Patriots a 2nd round pick this year and next year for Brady. Just as likely to happen.
    Agreed. Getting another young, inexperienced QB would be a waste without fixing the other concerns we have on offense first.

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

No. Go journeyman and right the ship by spending dollars on our glaring needs. The larger problem is who will have thier hands in the those decisions and purse strings.

7. teamplaya

teamplaya Rookie

i think trading for Rivers would be not smart because he has never played so it would be like starting a rookie all over but i would try to bring back Steve Foley he has been amazing in the Chargers 3-4 and he knows how to get pressure

8. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah All Pro

Dree Brees would be a much better option for the Texans

9. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

I'd love to agree with you but I think he'd be the same player he was when he was here. Our system just seems to hold players back.

10. 3960AD

3960AD Rookie

See, I'm not saying to get Philips as a 'starter'. I never said that. Primarily I see him coming here to be a guy that could back up Carr. A guy that pressures him to drive the offense a bit more. Be more aggressive as he was on Sunday. Carr has no depth behind him in my opinion, nor someone who could challenge him for his job. Philips could. Think of D. Faggins and P. Buchanon. Faggins play will surely get the best of Buchanon. Look on Sunday, Buchanon had his game as a Texan so far, IMHO.

11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Rivers is making about the same money as Carr. If having someone to push Carr is your goal then a lower priced veteran option is the choice.

12. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

I agree with that. Buchanon actually hit somebody although there was at least one play I remember when he pulled another "Deion" ....

13. 3960AD

3960AD Rookie

Like who? Testavadere? Akili Smith?

14. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

With out blockers who are knowledgeable of our system, Joe Montana would look like.....David Carr. Is part of the problem, yes. Is replacing him going to fix everything, no. Might be time to cut the umbilical cord, let him leave as a FA. Draft blockers and defenders this year, and maybe draft a QB in '07. I would have no problem with Banks or Ragone steering the ship for a year. Isn't Kitna coming available this offseason? Not that he would want to come here or anything.

15. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Thoughts? I'll tell you my thoughts. I think I hear that Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" music coming up in the background.

"Here's to you mister preposterous trade suggestor..."

16. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

lol: lol: lol

17. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

lol: Testaverde would be a dead man in a matter of minutes if he played with our offense. Akili Smith couldn't push me for our starting QB spot.

18. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Nice.

You could add the following dialogue, "When being blind folded and throwing darts at the draft board did not work, you thought that your blind genius would work with a trade for another high priced draft pick who cannot even start on his own team."

19. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Any QB would be running for his life and that will never change unless the o line is severly overhauled. I mean the only two players on the o line who will be here in two years starting, will be Pitts and Wade.

20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Actually I want to give credit where it's due in case anyone here hasn't heard it. "Mr Preposterous Trade Suggestor" is in the sound vault over at the Sportsradio 610 website. It is highly amusing IMO.

If you already knew that then pardon this interruption of your scheduled thread. As you were.