Trade for a 2nd?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by badboy, Oct 26, 2007.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Do we have anyone on team that we could do without that would bring us a second round pick in a trade? We do not seem very deep at many positions, but it is an idea (although probably not a good one.)

2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Schaub, AJ, OD, DeMeco and Drob.

Good thing they're not going anywhere.

3. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Out of the guys you mentioned I bet only Davis could even get us a 3.

The only guys that could get us a 2 or better are our stars & that isnt gonna happen.

We have stars & role players but we just dont have those intermediate guys yet.

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Well, Oakland traded Randy Moss to New England for a Fourth Round Pick.

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

You touched on something I've been mulling over.. JJ, Walters and AJ are your first three and Anderson plays well enough to be the fourth. Davis continues his good start and we sign him to a good but reasonable three year deal before this season ends. Could Davis get you a 2nd or a high 3rd? I really do not want to touch our WR but that may be a depth we can explore to strengthen the team with another first day pick. Or could be used to trade up for a special player.

6. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Thats just because Oakland couldnt wait to get rid of him.

He was a team cancer & he was "supposed to be" washed up.

Poor Raiders.

7. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I think Davis gets you a fourth at best. And as a side note didn't Davis sign just a one year deal?

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yes , but I said sign him this season say week 14 to a three year deal. That would help a trade. I think a WR avg 18-22 yds with 50 catches would be worth a second.

9. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

You gotta remeber it's all supply and demand. I see a kid like the Indiana kid and Blythe for Iowa SU, I see a herd of WRs out there. These two couldn't catch a sniff at an all america team. So the question begs to be asked why give up a fourth round pick when you can hold your water and bring in a clean chalk board and coach him up the way you want him coached up. Davis has a history of injuries also. He's ok in a rotation but thinking he can go out and put up fifty to sixty snaps a game...banging on the running plays, is a bit of a reach. He is what he is, a number four or five guy. I think he is exactly like Peerless Price. With better hands. I think we just need to hang on to our second teired WR guys. QB, FB and WR our three things we shouldn't have to adress this off season.

You might have a chance to get a high day two for Weaver with a three four team like Baltimore. But then you gotta find another DE.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Ok but Davis may get 50 this season. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/games/DaviAn01.htm#2007

Would you wait for a 4th round WR who might not make team? If there is a WR you like at 2nd round cool but you have an 800+ yds guy for a second who is pretty exciting.

11. Errant Hothy

Don't forget that at the start of the season there were 2 4th round WRs who bet Davis out for playing time on our own roster. And it's not like we're known for havinf crazy Patroits like depth.

12. digitalswim

digitalswim Sleepwalker

I want a 2nd rounder as much as the next guy but at the end of the day trading away players is not going to help us. When I say that, I mean players that have any kind of actual trade value.

You know what is going to make our team stronger? Patience. We are not going to get even close to what we need out of the draft / FA next offseason. What we will get is a little bit closer to our goals.

It may suck a bit at times but the power house teams of the league didn't get that way overnight. They built quality and depth through the draft and by retaining their players.

Scooter likes this.
  13. Scooter

Scooter Funky

this is a perfect post. everybody wants more draft picks, but if you look at shanahan & kubiak's track record, they usually trade draft picks for players ... not vice versa.

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Not to be arguementative but how are those two 4ths doing now?

15. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I thought the trade deadline passed.....?

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I do not expect a power house team next year. I do expect a team that compete with the Falcons and Miami's. The future is great but you had better keep me interested now or I could go somewhere else. Are you listening Astros?

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

The thought was using Andre Davis as an example. Sign him to a three year deal this season in say week 14 and then you trade him before draft for a 2nd.

18. Errant Hothy

Being hurt is a lot different from being sucky. Injuries happen and when Mathis and Jones beat Davis out for playing time all three were healthy.

C'mon you're better then that. :devilpig:

19. Errant Hothy

Yeah, cause we have the cap room to sign anybody right now, and when we do have the room Davis will be a FA.

Of the players we have on our roster that might get us a 2nd round pick, we cannot affrod to lose any of them.

20. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Best post on this thread! Thanks digitalswim! I like you're line of thinking. Building the team slowly through the Draft is the best way to go IMO. I realize they have had to use FA as a stop-gap to help improve the team in the short term, but I believe the Draft is what they will use to build a solid foundation for the long haul. I think the Schaub trade was an exception to what they would like to do with the Draft, but they saw an opportunity and felt they had to make a move before the window closed. It hurt losing those two 2nd rounders, but weighing all the factors, it was a good deal for us. I don't think you'll see them make those kinds of moves too often.

I really believe Smith and Kubes plan is to build through the Draft, get FA's to fill the short term gaps, and for the most part, keep their Draft picks (and maybe get extra picks by trading down). JMHO!