Trade Down Campers

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by spastikmooss, Mar 1, 2006.

1. spastikmooss

spastikmooss Rookie

I'm happy to hear that some people want to trade the top pick. Reggie Bush will be wonderful, but he's not for the Texans. Trade down for Brickshaw or Hawk, or even Carpenter, get some defense in the trade, and go after hutchinson or bentley. Defense and O line...go texans.

2. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

Welcome fellow texan fan. Im interested to know, who do you think we should trade down for??

3. samomin

samomin Veteran

I am in the D'Brick or D'Fense club pending the outcome of free agency. Mario Williams or AJ Hawk would be nice.

4. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

If we traded down I think the best guys for us are Williams and Davis. In the later rds. I think the picks can also have a positive impact, but those are the guys I think we should shoot for in the 1st.

5. CITY CAT

CITY CAT Veteran

It was a really hot topic a few days ago, but now it has vanished. What's the deal?

I would love to see the Texans fill many empty spots, but would even more want Bush. I think in order to win championships, you need a gamebreaker, a big playmaker. The Texans have nothing of the sort.

6. BeReal

BeReal Rookie

I agree. Although this is a great draft year, and there are many players I would love to have on the Texans. I don't think there's one "right" choice and drafting at #1 gives you the pick of the litter.

7. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Ferguson all the way, especially if we trade down and get Abraham. If we dont get Abraham I think it may be up in the air between Ferguson and Super Mario.

8. big homey

big homey Veteran

Give our talented guys some support, and the playmakers will rise.

If we get into the 4-7 range, we'll basically be guaranteed to get someone that will help our team. Potentially D'Brick, A.J. Hawk, Mario Williams, Vernon Davis, and Michael Huff will be there within those spots, and all of them suit our needs.

9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

If I'm trading down I'm getting Mario Williams. the 2nd and 3rd round picks can cover the line just as well.

10. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

D'Brick if they're serious about building an o-line for the long haul. It's our most glaring weakness, and nothing will change for the better if our line is not addressed with urgency this off-season.

I'd love to have Williams or Hawk on our D, but it is my firm belief that our offensive line is the weakest and most inconsistent aspect of the Texans.

11. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Spot on. Good post.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Agree'd .... I think we've said this for the past 4 seasons .

Remember the ESPN comercial in the first season with DC shown with no O-Line ..... Not much has changed from a performance standpoint since then.

Games are won and lost in the trenches ..... without good blocking the skill positions dont really have a chance to make plays ...

AtheGreat likes this.
  13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Oh my god.. another freak'n first time poster trade down thread...... It's getting soooo anoying. I can't wait till the draft, so this nonsense would stop.

14. cap1

cap1 All Pro

Don't worry to much about it. The first time posters will start really strong around the first week in April.

15. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Just like right after the rose bowl.

16. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

You beat me to it.

17. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

what are you complaining about now? if you've been around this message board for anytime this offseason, most "new" posters do not advocate a trade down like you suggest. Most "new" posters advocate their particular man-crush, be it reggie bush or vince young. Also notice the sudden influx of "post-rose bolw, draft vince now" posters who have pretty much died off.

18. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

i agree..it was much better when every post was about vince's leadership and how he is from houston and how he will win every superbowl from next year until he retires while curing cancer, running for president,playing offensive and defensive line, rushing for 200 and passing for 300 yds per game...not to mention playing point guard for the rockets and winning an NBA title as well...can he play short stop?

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

:sarcasm:

funny how some things are obvious to some.

20. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I had ya, TK ;-) ... good stuff. Give the nubes some slack, or even the vets in YTF's case.

If we are trading down, I think my vote is Mario Williams. Everything I have seen and heard of the guy says he will be a Ju-Pep/Reggie White type beast. Mind you I am not reserving his HOF spot yet when I say that, only that he looks like a very exciting talent, and I don't feel we have a true 4-3 DE on this roster. I like Peek/Babin and think they will both be functional DEs, but I would like to see us bolster our D-line with a true PR threat that can also hold up against the run. Our pass rush has been very weak in years past (due much more to playcalling than lack of talent, IMO) but to acquire a guy like Mario would be making a big stride in addressing that.

That said, I surely would not mind trading for a D'Brick. Obviously our O-line has been a bad issue, and while I think Pitts makes a fine LT, we need another starting-caliber T. I also really like E. Winston from Miami, but as I and others project him at a mid to late first rounder, I'm not sure how we'd get him other than trading down twice, and I would like to see us get an immediate impact player: a guy that the opponents will have to gameplan for. And while we have a very talented first day class this year, I don't see an obvious, can't-miss "gameplanner" coming to us much below the 7 spot.

At the end of the day, though, I don't see us trading the pick. I think Kubes is sold on the "thunder and lightning" of Davis/Bush. Either way, until the dust settles from the FA/CBA thing and the draft draws near, we won't have any ideas on serious offers, etc. that are going to be made. So that is my :twocents: as it stands now.

Thoughts?