trade back in 2nd

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Bubbajwp, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

If we trade back about 15 spots we could still pick up the other teams 3rd round pick. Maybe we can get lucky and somebody will want to trade up.

Rnd 1 Adrian Peterson RB
    Rnd 2 Eric Weddle FS
    Rnd 3a Desmond Bishop LB
    Rnd 3b Dan Bazuin DE
    Rnd 4 Brandon Frye OT
    Rnd 5 David Ball WR
    Rnd 6 Paul Soliai DT
    Rnd 7 Daniel Sepulveda P

Thoughts

Oh ya I forgot to say I really really hope we sign Asante Samuel.

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I hope you meant to say a 2nd & 3rd :bubble:

8th pick = 1400 points

trade about 15 spots down-

23rd pick = 760 + 350 (55th) + 155 (87th) total = 1265 points

*per draft pick value chart

3. baba ganoush

baba ganoush Veteran

and you still expect to get AP with the 23rd pick?

4. htownfoozball

htownfoozball Veteran

i think he meant stay with the 8th, but trade our 2nd for a later pick in the 2nd + 3rd rounder.

5. beerlover

alright, I guess it depends who slips thats targeted @ Texans selection #39 = 510 points

15 spots later (KC 2nd. 54th) = 360 + 3rd rd. pick (KC 3rd. 85th) = 165 total = 525 points

6. Luv Ya Blue 2007

Luv Ya Blue 2007 Rookie

I would not mind us moving down 8-10 spots in the first, but 15 spots in the second is too much for me. I hope we stay with defense in the second round and first if AP is gone. By dropping 15 spots in the second, I think the immediate playmaker may be difficult to find.

7. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

The last time we dropped back a couple of spots for an extra 3rd round pick we got Travis Johnson instead of Derrick Johnson. No thanks to dropping back in a round.

8. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

Knowing that staff they probably wouldn't have picked DJ anyway.

9. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Same draft they took TJ over Jamaal Brown....Pro Bowl LT from the Saints

10. beerlover

actually its a valid question, makes you take a hard look @ the draft prospects available both in the 2nd & 3rd rds. from what I can tell this draft is not as deep as last years where you could still find starters late in the 3rd rd. the 2nd rd looks good at the top but does start to thin out near the end, still some decent picks where the Texans select in the 3rd.

the Texans should upgrade a position on the team with that 2nd rd. pick if they stay put @ #39, it gets a little dicey however down to #54. while I have confidence Kubiak/Smith can find a solid player there who fits the team I would rather pick higher in the 2nd than get the extra late 3rd rd. pick :winky:

11. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Neremind. Denver holds two threes not two 2's.

Well with the All Day fever that has swept the board, I'm hesitant to post this. But if you look carefully, Denver holds two twoes in the second. So the question becomes, do you give up all day, the pick of the saftys, the stud RB, to move down to Denver's pick and end up with a couple of twos & Denver's 1. That would give them three potential starters for one move down. The next question is: Is there anyone at the eight that Shanahan covets and would be willing to move up for for that price, the swap and their two twoes ? Hey that's four potential starters. Say a young DE prospect to take some weight off the gray beards who ran out of steam at the end of their season this year ?

Agreed Beerlover. Once you get out of the second finding a producing contributor, much less a starter, is more of a gamble than it was last year. They hit on a couple of guys past the third, gives me hope that the scouts now, not the staff, are running our draft. That's a good thing.

12. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

I think NT Paul Soliai may be exactly what we need and if he really can be had in the 6th Round that would be great. Part of the problem with are front line is are lack of a true NT to play the 1 position, that is the DT that lines up on the left shoulder of the Center. He needs to be a massive man that can repeatedly take on double teams. I would love to see the Texans draft Soliai and sign DT Terdell Sands as a free agent, then they can rotate the two of them to keep our run-stopping NT position fresh all game long.