Tracking the #1 pick over the season

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GrandPa, May 3, 2006.

1. GrandPa

GrandPa Rookie

We do not at this time know if the #1 pick was a good pick or a bad pick...

I realize that it is difficult to track an offensive player against a defensive player but you can track an offensive player against his peers and a defensive player against his peers and you can track for team impact...

For Mario Williams I am planning to track: Sacks, Tackles, Assists, Fumble Recoveries, Forced Fumbles and Touchdowns.

For Reggie Bush I am planning to track: Rushing and Receiving Attempts, Yards, Fumbles and Touchdowns. Will also have to track any Special Team yardage.

Any additional stats that need to be tracked???

2. SnakeOilTanker

SnakeOilTanker Veteran

tickets and jerseys sold!....duh, why else would you pick a player

3. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Williams - Tackles for loss (TFL)
    Bush - cant think of any.

4. eltoro

eltoro Rookie

I don't know if it is easily measurable, but I would like to see how both players change the way opposing offenses/defenses adjust their gameplans around the respective player. Additionally, I think if you are going to count fumbles that you should also look at missed tackles.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

We need to establish what we consider to be worthy of the selection. How many sacks/hurries tackles for loss, and fumbles forced do we need to say Mario was worthy of the #1 pick??

How many rushing yards, recieving yards, ypc, TDs, etc...... does Reggie need, before we can say he was worthy of the #1 pick(is anyone questioning this??)

6. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

God get over reggie bush jesus

7. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

You're forgetting forced fumbles and tipped passes at the line of scrimmage. (He is 6'7" with a 40 in. vertical.) :)

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Running backs: Rushing/Receiving yards and yards per attempt, a long with touchdowns, fumbles

DE: Tackles, TFLs, Sacks, QB Pressures, FFs, PDs, and INTs

9. GoneTexan

GoneTexan Rookie

Really only one: Making the Probowl or the one with the Most Votes!:ok:

10. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

How about defensive/offensive rankings? Last year the Texans were 31 in total D. I think the Saints in total offense were ranked around 20 or so.

11. tex2theend

tex2theend Rookie

Bush - Days on IR
    Williams - Days Manning, Leftwich, Young spends on IR

12. RB5

RB5 Rookie

Love it, but all that matters is WINS.

13. GrandPa

GrandPa Rookie

Added Forced Fumbles not sure tipped passes are a stat that is kept???

14. GrandPa

GrandPa Rookie

Will not get over it until I am convinced that it is not one of the worst #1 draft picks ever...

Until then, deal with it because it will be talked about often and management should be held accountable for their actions, just like everyone should be...

15. shadowdrinker_x

shadowdrinker_x Rookie

If you're going to track Williams ''Qb hurries'' you would have to track Bush's broken tackles and how many times He made people just flat out miss...in other words..it would get ridiculous...

Just see which one gets the better Fantasy numbers..haha..

It won't be too hard to tell if Mario was the ''better'' pick for you guys...what Bush does has nothing to do with the impact Mario has on your Team...

It's going to come down to much more than how many sacks Mario gets for you guys..if He gets hot, and starts getting sacks at an alarming rate, Teams will start to double Team him, and while his numbers would suffer, his contribution would be immeasurable...because He'd be freeing up other players, and making them better overall...That in itself is huge...

It's not just as simple as 123...you have to look at the big picture...I'm not sure how much Bush will help the Saints..He'll probably get 10 or so touches a Game, and if Teams have to scheme around him, then even if He never touches the ball..He's made an impact...

It's not comparable...All you can do is cheer for YOUR guy..in the big scheme 1 draft pick doesn't make a team...even if He flops, it's not the end of the World..many have flopped before him, and many will flop after He's gone...

I don't think He'll be a ''bust''..but I don't think He'll be a Hall of Fame DE either...

16. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

We have to keep track of how many times a player gets a tackle because of Mario and how many times a receiver or TE is open because of Bush--along with how much impact each player has in games verbally divided by how much they stink in locker rooms after each practice/game. :) We need a number formula for stench. It has a definite impact on their teammates outlook.

17. caspian

caspian Rookie

I'm with you. No harm in knowing the numbers. Also track wins...versus Tennessee...and verses New Orleans. Just to know...

18. texman8

texman8 Veteran

If you want to compare individual stats,especially btw offensive and defensive players; it is not a fair comparison. You could measure the impact on the team's performance. Say, Texans' defense ranking in yardage given and scoring defense. Team wins is the final indicator.

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I don't think team wins is much of an indicator. Obviously, you can't say that so and so was a better pick than so and so just because the Steelers won more games than the Titans. You could go by how many more or less we win this year compared to last year over how many the Saints win compared to last, but that will be skewed by a whole new coaching staff and other smaller factors as well--like the Saints moving to LA in mid-season or something. :)

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

So what impact on the games outcome does jersey sales have ? :brickwall