Top Runblocking OLs... Zach Wiegert#3

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by kcwilson, Jun 16, 2006.

1. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

An espn insider article by KC Joyner about which lineman are graded on their run blocking ability was posted recently. Not sure about copying the content here as I don't want to violate any paid service copyright laws. So I'll summarize...

He defined two kinds of blocks... Point of attack blocks where the running back ran through a hole created by a lineman and a Key block where any lineman made a block on a key defender whose responsiblity is pursuit of containment on a running play (i.e. a Right defensive end on a stretch run play to the right where the OL blocks everyone to the right and the RB looks for a cut back by the LT or LG.)

He details out the top 10 linemen in terms of average yards per run attempt on a point of attack block per lineman. Sean Locklear of Seattle was #1 at 7.8 yards, Zach Wiegert was #2 at 6.2 yards, along with Lehr (atl), Hicks (Philly), Petitgout (GIANTS), and Garza (bears).

He also graded out the lineman on blocking success rate, which didn't measure technical execution in a block, but whether the block that was being executed worked, regardless of the method. Now this seems arbitrary and subjective, but a successful block is really what it all comes down to.

Samuels of Washington was #1 at 94.8 %, followed by Locklear (SEA), Barry (GB), Villaral (Buffalo), and Hamilton (DEN). Again take this with a grain of salt because VICTOR RILEY was 9th at 90.5%

The yards per attempt of a point of attack block multiplied by the success rate of the block yielded a combined run blocking score.

Locklear of Seatlle was the runaway winner, which made sense because Seattle as much as they ran left behind Jones and Hutchinson, also was very successful running to the right, since defenses loaded up against Jones and Hutchinson.

Barry of GB was #2 overall, and our own Zach Wiegert was #3.

Petitgout, Lehr, Garza, Johnson (DAL), Gandy (NO), Brown (CHI), and Hartings (PIT), completed the top 10 run blocking TEs.

Having Wiegert listed is nice, but it is also important to note that there is an infusion of talented offensive minded personnel that we know have joined us that show they have had top blocking linemen, and therefore must validate that their scheming should be able to product some solid performers on the OL.

It will be interesting to note what passing blocking metrics they come out with.

2. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I think we all knew Zach was a good blocker, he just has trouble staying on the field. It's good to see one of our guys rated at the top and here's hope that by next year we have 2 o 3 more there.

3. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

As an Outland Trophy winner at Nebraska, Zack came by his run blocking
    skills honestly.

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I can't imagine the amont of film work that went into that study. Interesting.

5. JAXwithanX

JAXwithanX Veteran

copyright....we don't care about no stinkin copyrights

6. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Run Blocking has never really been an issue for this team, it is the Pass blocking, that gets me.....................Sherman will get them right though.

7. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I stopped reading after I saw Victor Riley at #9...:shoot:

8. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Yeah now Wade and his fat salary will be riding the pine thanks to the Capers regime...

9. SnakeOilTanker

SnakeOilTanker Veteran

but he's 6'8!

:ok:

10. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

same :):hunter: