Tony Romo to start

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Errant Hothy, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Bill Parcells just said that Romo will start this Sunday in Carolina.

2. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

And we should care because.....................

bigcarlos likes this.
  3. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

....because it's an NFL story being discussed in the NFL forum.

4. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

OK.......well let's talk about everthing that ever happens in the NFL....

Please tell me there are more important things to discuss than who takes the snap for Dallas. Wait, players on roids, hmm, REALLY? Drug useage....NO WAY..This isn't anything new....been discussed before, now its happening.

5. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Might as well. Bledsoe self destructs in the red zone almost every game.

At least give Romo a chance and see what he's got. They've gone thru something like 10 QB's since Troy retired.

6. Errant Hothy

I'm willing to quess that you havn't read down the forum for the names of those in thread titles.

And beside when was the last time an un-drafted QB started in the NFL? It's news worthy for that reason alone, besides the fact that the palyer the cowboys are benching is likely a Hall of Famer, on the strength of his stats.

Runner likes this.
  7. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

Bledsoe to address the media in 45 minutes. Just heard it on NFL Network.

8. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I'd have to laugh if he retired. Dallas only has two QBs on the roster, IIRC.

9. Errant Hothy

Odd, they were saying on Dallas radio that Drew's agent was at the cowboy's facility's this morning.

He can't be traded after the deadline can he, like baseball?

10. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Well if he does that he's a quitter plain and simple. I can't say I blame him for being upset, that would be natural for anybody but to quit because you get benched? And it's not as though he's being benched for a job well done or anything; he's making stupid throws, bad decisions.

Will see what he has to say.

11. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

IMO, we just watched the Cowplops give up on the season. You don't start a rookie (undrafted at that) and expect to hit the playoffs. Will he/they win some games....sure, but the entire team now knows it is officially..............Next Year!

12. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

Parcell's should have started Romo a couple of seasons ago. He'd probably be ready to make a playoff run by now.......................

13. Errant Hothy

Drew just came out and toed the party line.

Nothing to see here folks, just move along.

14. real

real Guest

What did he say ?

15. ATX_Texan

ATX_Texan Veteran

Be interesting to see what happens here because Bill is definitely doing against J.Jones who put in his endorsement for Drew just yesterday.

16. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

The Cowboys have been dropping the ball for some time over the QB position.

I don't think they gave Henson much of a chance but that is neither here nor there. Instead they have signed older guys like Vinny and Drew at a time when the league is moving towards the more mobile QB's.

They haven't developed Romo so now he's being tossed into a tough situation and it ain't preseason.

I have to admit I am surprised. I thought Bill would stick with Drew through many horrible games. I guess he's seen enough.

17. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

Julius Peppers will have a field day on sunday, regardless of who starts.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I believe last year or the year before would have been good oportunity to start Romo or Henson... Looking back, with 20/20 vision. But when Quincy took the Cowboys to the Playoffs in Bill's first season, it made sense that they'd leave the QB position alone for a little while, and work on the rest of the team..... most notably the defense.

Vinny came in just to be the Veteran Bench Warmer, while Quincy did his thing. But then Quincy's drug thing happened, and Bill had no choice but to dump him. I for one, a noted QC supporter, was happy to see the Cowboys cut a player for drug use..... not something I was used to.

So Quincy left the team, Vinny was Vinny, and the Cowboys D imploded, even though Vinny had a pretty decent season. At the time, this year(2004) was not the year to start Henson or Romo, they were both green...

(2005)Bledsoe became available, They picked up Henson, & they continued to work with Romo. Bledsoe started the year out great, then the protection broke down. Dallas' Young D was vastly superior to the previous years, and they had reason to believe they could make the playoffs, deep into December. When their season was over, they had good reason to believe that 2006, they could make the playoffs.

This year, with the addition of AkinAyodele, solid draft picks in BobbyCarpenter, & PatWatkins, the D was certain to be improved. Offensively, Flozelle & Columbo were expected to be ready to go by TC, and the addition of Terrell Owens had them thinking Superbowl...(I thought it was a bit of a stretch, but if their defense was what they thought it would be, I rolled with it).

I say all that, to say in the time that Romo & Henson was on the team, there was not a good time to start either, unless you agree with giving up on your season early.

Personally, I don't agree with the change right now, if they are seriously thinking about getting to the SuperBowl this year. & giving Terrell Owens a $10 million Dollar signing bonus, and Bill having only one more year left on his contract makes me believe they were loading up for a run this year.

But trying to work in a WR like TO with a QB like Drew(who didn't trust Keyshawn last year), basically a new starting OL, and a young, young Defense, it's a tall order allready, throwing in Romo, and I think it's beyond the great Parcell's ability to get them to the big game.

You don't know what would've happened in the second half of that game. Your Defense might step up, and get you a couple of scores..... like they did the week before.

But you have to stick with your veteran if you're really thinking SB, and place the blame where it belongs, on the offensive line.

19. HowBoutThemCowboys!

HowBoutThemCowboys! All Pro

He's not a rookie, he's a fourth year player who's had a cult following among Cowboy forums for years now. The guy can play. Sure three interceptions aren't exactly newsworthy, but he was opening up that offense.. utilizing Jason Witten, Terrell Owens, something that Bledsoe had yet to do. He did this passing virtually every play playing catch-up with a revved up Giant D-line breathing down his neck.

Several first year starters do fine.. Tom Brady, Big Ben, Phillip Rivers.. the season isn't over.. watch out for Big D next Sunday night, Romo will get the ball rolling after a full week of practice with the first team, and a full week of film study.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I agree the offense seemed to be flowing a little better once Romo stepped into the game, better than it has all year, considering the running game wasn't an option.

But Romo's ability to play isn't what is in question here. I think every player who makes it into the NFL can play.... right now, what will be tested will be his toughness, and his ability to play while under pressure.

He already showed a few bad signs last night, like flicking the ball to Barber as he is going down.... at that time, it's too late, just take your sack.

& I understand that he looked good in the preseason, but it's a different game now that he is starting in the regular season.