Tomlinson to sign with Jets

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by GlenRice, Feb 7, 2010.

1. GlenRice

GlenRice Veteran

i head this on a other forum

ESPN's Chris Mortensen says the Texans are among the teams that will show interest in LaDainian Tomlinson after the veteran is cut.

2. ChrisG

ChrisG Road Fan

based on the source we now kno the Texans WONT be looking at LT. ESPN sucks. LOL

How can an analyst predict wat we r gonna do. This isn't news until the article reads "LaDainian Tomlinson visits with the Texans coaching staff after being cut by San Diego"

3. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

OK, so I don't really keep up on LT as much as others.

Is he really THAT worn out and incapable of doing much anymore, or is he simply tired of being in San Diego and he's got some slippage of the "give-a-crap" attitude?

My initial reaction is that this is another Ahman Green situation just waiting to explode on us. Lots of years of wear and tear, and running behind a questionable offensive line (due to injuries on the line).

5. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

In all probability Steve Slaton will not be back next year, so it isn’t very hard to guess that the Texans would like to sign a veteran RB from somewhere along with drafting one in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. I don’t think we’ll get a RB in the first round, but that’s just my take. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see LT here next year, or even the buffet monster LenWhale white. You can count on them getting a RB back from somewhere in free agency.

6. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

It wouldn't suprise me at all, nor would I really object, as long as we don't give out an Ahman Green contract. That was the only part of Green that scared me. If we sign him, draft a guy, and use Foster and Moats to spell them, Im ok with it.

7. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Pass....

LT would be good in a "change-of-pace" role similar to what we have Moats in but does not have the durability to carry the load. Unfortunately, he wants to go to a team that will give him the opportunity to be a number 1 back and we can't afford to hitch our wagon to a 30+ year old running back who still thinks he's elite.

Given Slaton's current health problems this would be worse than last offseason when the coaches decided to stand pat on the RB position because they thought they could rely on Slaton for the entire season. At least Slaton is south of 30....

8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

That would be the question. It's a fact that LT has slipped the past 2 seasons. Also, he has reached the unmagical age (for a RB) of 30. Still, it's not as if any other back was ripping it up for the Chargers last season. So, it could be a function of the offensive line. Who knows?

If LT comes into Houston as part of the solution, that would make sense. He's a vet who is experienced in the passing game. He would carry an immediate rspect into the locker room. And if your coach is insistent on calling a halfback option in the red zone, why not have a RB who carries a career passer rating of 146.9? 7 TDs - zero interceptions in 12 attempts.

But, if LT is brought in as THE solution at RB, that would be another example of piss poor planning. We've seen the results of that.

ChampionTexan and disaacks3 like this.
  9. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

There would be one happy HOUSTON FROG on here if they got LT...he could go see an ex great Frog in person.

10. HouSportsWriter

HouSportsWriter SIAB

when will he be cut ?

11. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

He doesn't have to be cut unless he has some type of roster bonus the chargers aren't willing to pay him. This looks to be an uncapped year so if he is cut its not because the team is over the salary cap or anything like that.

12. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

I don't know. Dude is a TD machine. This was his first season not having 1,000 yards, and part of that is the Chargers splitting time with Sproles. I say bring him in, but still draft a stud RB. We go into the season with Foster/LT/drafted RB/Moats. Don't count on Slaton playing this year, but if he does, that's the gravy on top.

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

According to Rotoworld, LT has a $2 million roster bonus due in March. Not substantial, but it could be that the Chargers just want to go in another direction and don't want a HOFer looking over the new guy's shoulder.

Rotoworld also suggests that former Charger teammate Drew Brees may be pushing for LT to become a Saint. I could see that happening.

14. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

well...he can throw the RB pass better than Brown...:kitten:

Hardcore Texan and dalemurphy like this.
  15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I wouldn't be upset if they signed LT for 2 yrs and an team option for a 3rd year. The deal would have to cap friendly.

On the field LT could be patr of a 2 RB system, 15-carries a game, LT's a still a great short yardage RB. He would be an upgrade over C.Brown. LOL

I could see signing LT and drafting Tate,Hardesty,Bell or Blount in the 3/4th rd.

I probably would draft another RB (L.Coker is my favorite) in the 5/6th rd. He can KR/PR and a 3 headed monster of LT, teaching the nuances of blitz pick up and how to carry youself as a prfessional to Tate and Coker or Bell would be very appealing.

16. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

That's the crux of it right there. Given the CBA issue, what contract we sign him to is pretty much irrelevant for anyone not name McNair, Smith, or Tomlinson. The thing we, as fans, should be worried about is, what do we do in addition to the signing of LT.

I've been of the mind that we'd bring in a veteran RB to pair with a high round draft choice. LT would be ideal in that role. Even if he expected to come in here and start, that wouldn't necessarily be a problem if we draft a rookie who shares a significant number of carries with him.

17. Line_Producer

Line_Producer Party Rocker

I agree with that, though the Chargers don't seem to think so. They gave a bunch of goal line carries to Sproles last year. Maybe they were just seeing what the kid had?

18. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I'm hoping for Blount. I know he has issues. I know he is inexperienced. Blount is pretty much a boola-boola back. But when I watch him run with the ball, he seems to have "it". There may be only 2 or 3 RBs in a draft that have "it". I would have to take a chance on the guy. Especially, if I had a role model like LT to pair him with.

19. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I'm so-so on this. If we could get him to use him as a piece of the puzzle - and not the answer - at a decent price, I would be ok with a short contract.

But we can't pull another Ahman Green. Then again, the stature of this team is different than it was then, and we no longer have to overpay free agents.

20. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

You make a good point about the locker room thing. I would love him to be brought in as a role player, not to carry the load and for a decent dollar figure. I am probably asking too much but he's just not worth a ton of cash and the feature back spot anymore. All it takes is a little toe injury or some other ding and he can't do all that jump cutting that makes him special at making defenders miss and his production goes downhill quickly.

:ohsnap: