Tom Brady extension

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by badboy, Feb 25, 2013.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

New England reporting Brady extended thru 2017.

2. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Trade for Percy Harvin with money to sign next

3. deucetx

deucetx All Pro

To add to it not only was he extended but the guy basically took a pay cut. He got extended for 3 years 27 million dollars which of course will give the Patriots more room to make moves. In '13 and '14 alone he will now be $15 million dollars less against the cap than previously. Guess you can say what you will about the guy but for him it is about winning. He actually took less to help his team.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Please the guy is not being altruistic at all. He got $3 mil to add years to his contract that everyone in the world knows he won't play or won't play at that price. This was pure cap management.

5. ESAD2-14

ESAD2-14 TexanAmerican

Not only that but the dude could play for free until 2017 and not have to worry about anything financially, I think his wife makes more than him.

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

I think even Matt Schaub makes more than him.

7. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

Exactly why I was against re-signing Schaub too early. We should have taken a close and hard look at him this off-season, while he became an unrestricted free agent. Kudos to Tom Brady for helping his team create more salary cap space so they can add more good players to their roster. But I don't blame Matt Schaub at all for taking what was offered to him.

This is purely Rick Smith's fault for not understanding how to build a real champion. He over-pays past the market value for several players. And this was after we had already lost several good players last off-season due to salary restrictions: Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans (traded), Jacoby Jones, Eric Winston and Mike Brisiel to name a few. I can even name Vonta Leach a few off-season ago. Apparently a pro bowl fullback playing with the current Super Bowl championship team wasn't worth the big bucks either.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...-to-deal-much-smaller-than-schaubs-extension/

Pats sign Brady to deal much smaller than Schaub’s

By: Jay Lee - Ultimate Texans

Sometimes the best quarterback isn’t the one making the most money.

According to a Sports Illustrated report Monday, Tom Brady has agreed to a three-year, $27 million extension with the Patriots. Need some context for that figure? The Texans’ Matt Schaub signed a four-year, $62 million extension last year, and the Jets’ Mark Sanchez received a three-year, $40 million extension.

Brady’s deal gives the Patriots a lot of salary-cap flexibility. His extension, according to the report, includes a $3 million signing bonus and salaries of $7 million in 2015, $8 million in 2016 and $9 million in 2017.

Brady has won three Super Bowls with the Patriots and is a two-time NFL MVP.

8. infantrycak

Schaub is set to get $7.25 mil and Brady will get $14.75 mil in 2013 (that is actual payments, rather than cap hit).

9. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

Money against the salary cap is all that matters. That's the difference in the Patriots likely winning another Super Bowl or two, by adding the players they need, instead of the Texans winning the Super Bowl. Now that Ray Lewis is retired: I believe the Patriots, Texans and Broncos will be the three favorites in the AFC entering 2013. But the Pats have the clear-cut advantage in terms of cap space.

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I read his wife made $45 million last year

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Good, I hope w draft well, get healthy and put Brady on his ass.

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Where would Texans be if they waited to this of season and Schaub took another offer? TJ Yates would be the starter. Not saying he could not succeed but no way is he better than Matt. I do not see any Qb there in first to beat out Yates. Texans made a great deal to lock in a playoff QB as no other option. It does not matter one iota what Brady signed for as he was not playing for us. It simply came down to Schaub or a drop way down in quality to replace him. You cannot just assume Matt would accept a deal in the off season. QBs are prime and he is one of the better ones. It is just as likely he would have gone elsewhere if Smith low balled him as remaining for a lesser deal.

13. infantrycak

I wasn't responding to a salary cap comment but thanks for poking your nose in without reading. Brady's salary cap hit will also be bigger than Schaub's this year. Your source Jay Lee is a fool to have ever typed that headline.

14. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I expect Patriots to use that money to resign Vollmer and Welker.

Interesting that Brady's restructuring down would be rejected by the collective bargaining agreement in baseball.

15. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

This!

If we waited, I think it would have cost similar to resign him. If he tested Free Agency, there's a good chance a team overpays him. Then what?

16. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

hate her...but she deserves it.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Trust me, I have no love for Rick Smith, but I don't think he's the one demonstrating his lack of understanding here.

In all seriousness, what difference does it really make? If the Texans didn't sign Matt last offseason, they damn sure would have signed him this year for about the same money. I'd also venture to guess his cap hit last year was bigger than his cap hit will be in 2013.

Matt did nothing in 2012 to make me believe they would have offered him less money. He was the guy we expecting him to be, his foot did not appear (to me) to bother him & that was the only question the Texans had about him.

18. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

Halle....bloody lujah...:thinking: Or Halle bloody Berry...pick your poison.

:spittake: :lol:

We're talking about the SAME T.J. Yates who beat Cincy more convincingly last year than Schaub did this year and the SAME guy who played a CONSIDERABLY better game against Baltimore last year than Schaub did THIS year? Yeah you're right he sucks.

:sarcasm: Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with you on this one.

Meh.

:thinking: Three teams with rookie QB's were in the play offs this year and ONE of those was IN the Superbowl. QB's aren't a dime a dozen, but if you are one of the few BLESSED enough to play QB you should play every down as if it is the LAST one of your career. Rodgers does that, Brees does that, Brady does that Roethisburger and Manning have made careers of it. Schaub sees 3 and out as "part of the game" and is content with hustling down the field to get into field goal range. Your goal as a QB should NOT be to make your kicker have a record year by making him the team's leading scorer, nor should you settle for it. If that is in fact the case YOU should be on the sidelines with the offense while your defense is on the field telling your receivers about weaknesses you spotted in the secondary on the last series. You should tell your O-line about patterns you've noticed in the defense and tells they give to indicate what package they're running OR how they're responding to audibles. In other words be IMMERSED in that game as the team leader. Schaub isn't that guy. He's a career back up and the past few years (IMHO) have borne that out. As long as we keep him where he is we'll be that group of perpetual bridesmaids who makes it to the 2nd round of the playoffs only to watch SOMEONE ELSE go to the big dance.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

:thinking: neither Kaepernick or Flacco were rookies in 2012.

20. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

Thought Kaepernick was a rookie. If he wasn't ESPN and the powers that be sure as hell made it seem like their narrative was "Harbaugh gives rookie nod over veteran...and goes to superbowl."