Todd Wade

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by eriadoc, Jan 10, 2006.

1. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

John Granato just said on the morning show that he asked Capers what the deal was with Todd Wade. Capers' response was that he wasn't a very good straight-ahead blocker and he wasn't very good in pass protection.

:hairpull:

2. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Capers or Casserly?

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Capers.

4. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

What I would like to know is why they couldn't see this when he was with the Dolphins???

5. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Because he regressed here?

6. Meisterman

Meisterman Veteran

Todd Wade = one more reason to FIRE Casserly. :challenge

7. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Not really my point, but I see what you are saying.

8. Runner

Last year I thought the coaches felt they had to start him because of his salary. Hopefully the new coaches, who weren't part of the "acquire Wade" decision, will be comfortable with his expensive salary on the bench unless he earns playing time.

9. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

hey now, Casserly watched at least four game tapes on Todd Wade. Just so you know that he's been "thoroughly" evaluated. :ok:

Is there a Fire Casserly Club, yet?

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Todd Wade will be vindicated when he gets to play for a coach who knows what he's doing. You don't start 63 games in four years for a team that's winning if you aren't a very good straight-ahead blocker and stink at pass protection.

Capers comments will probably demonstrate how out of touch he was with the day to day process of coaching the players as opposed to making Wade look bad when it's all said and done.

11. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Todd Wade plays too high and his feet are average at best. However, his biggest problem is that he is ill suited to play in the zone blocking scheme. I think Wade is a mediocre RT that could improve to be adequate with proper coaching. He has the potential to be a decent pass blocker. He is already a reasonable run blocker.

12. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Exactly Herv, unless there is something in the Houston water. Overpaid, most likely. Forgot how to play, unlikely.

13. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Herv, you put into words what I was trying to say. Sometimes I just don't get my point across! :)

BTW, I love the new avatar! Hilarious!

14. Xman

Xman Veteran

Why don't we trade him back to the dolphins.

We take the cap hit for the signing bonus. But, that allows Miami to carry him at a lower cost (only yearly salary) AND they can cut him at any time without any penalty.

Maybe we get a 4th round pick or Ricky Williams (no idea what his trade value is - and maybe we trade him after we get him or keep him as a complement to Bush/DD). Might offer them Greenwood back also if they would give us a decent draft pick (that cap hit would hurt but we could absorb it and be rid of it).

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Usually OLinemen don't go backwards when they are still under 30, but
    maybe Wade is different.

16. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

well maybe instead of trading him we let coach k take him and the rest of the o-line under him and his new o-line coach and correct all the problems that joe pendry did...look at what denver has been able to do with their line over the years...kubiak knows how to make o-lineman block...he'll be able to fix not only carr but o-lineman like wade and weigert

17. Runner

I wasn't nearly as clear as I wanted to be with that short post. I'm not necessarily blaming Wade for the regression. Given the number of players the Texans have who are in the same boat, I'd be willing to accept it was the coaching/scheme that caused any regression.

If the new coaches come in and do an honest evaluation of the players, which IMO they will, we will get an answer to some of these "talent" questions. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by some players that we already have.

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

My frustration at hearing the radio comments was not directed at Todd Wade. If Todd Wade was truly that bad a lineman (and he was, this year), then why did you not see that prior to signing him? Did you not do your homework? And if you did your homework (as I suspect they did), then did it ever occur to you to ask WHY he played at one level with Miami and a much lower level while here? Did Capers and staff really think that he lost his talent? Talent is not something that you lose - you either have it or you do not. If you do, you will eventually fall victim to injuries or Father Time, or both, but you won't suddenly become a talentless bum.

The players that I think we'll find out are not as bad as people think (in no particular order) --

Wade
    Wand
    DDavis
    Gaffney
    Babin
    Greenwood

19. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I will have to bite my tongue on other players that should be on this list. ;)

20. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Peek will also be a freak if allowed to concentrate on pass rushing as a passing situation DE. I also think that Joppru if (ok, big IF) could be a major contributor.