Today's McClain column in the Chronicle

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Did any of you read his latest, Kubiak evolving into Texans head coach, in today's Chronicle?

There was a snippet in there that made me go, HUH!!!???

Like I said, HUH!!!??? Did I miss a boatload of memos or something? I'm of the opinion that Kubiak couldn't be forthright and honest about injuries if his life depended on it.

He did say something interesting about Kubiak regarding Mike Shanahan.

I still can't believe they fired Mike Shanahan, just because of what happened at the end of this season. It was a knee-jerk decision what willl be regretted.

2. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Strangely, before reading either your post, or McClain's article, I just posted about Kubiak's forthrightness in another thread. I think McClain's dead-on correct this time.

3. ChampionTexan

Actually, I just re-read your post, and I think you got McClain's position wrong. His comment was Kubiak is honest "Except when it comes to injuries".

Again, I agree, and frankly, if the Texans know what's going on in relation to the injuries (which I realize some have questioned), I think it's a good thing that nobody else knows what's happening in that regard.

4. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

I said that in another thread. There are players who have played 1/2-entire season injured and we never heard about it.

Would it be wrong to make Little Shanni some off. coach and make Big Shanni OC? LOL.

5. Marcus

One case, out of many, particularly stands out. The game that AJ hurt his knee last year when Schaub hung him out to dry. . . they got the results back from the MRI on his knee, and I heard a reporter ask him point blank . . . "what did the MRI report say?" And he comes back with this, "Well, I'm just going to have to refer to the medical people" or some vague answer that had "evading" written all over it. He did that with Domanick Davis and many others.

Sorry, you can't be evasive and forthright at the same time.

6. ChampionTexan

So you're agreeing with McClain!

7. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Sadly, yes. But it is another Captain Obvious point, lol.

8. Marcus

Aw damn, I just reread it . . . "EXCEPT when it comes to injuries".

My apologies.

Don't understand why coaches have to lie about injuries, though.

9. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

So the other team has more to game plan for versus less. Kind of simple.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I know I'm picking on the wrong part of your post, but the story is the Shanahan forced the owners hand, by not selling out his defensive coordinator

11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The HC owes nothing to us fans or the media with regards to the status of his players' injuries.

It aggravates us to not know, but what purpose does it serve the team when they tip their cards to their opponents because some media wonk or griping fans demand information? Like specnatz mentioned, it is part of the strategy of the game.

The Texans are notorious for downplaying serious injuries, though. But that's more of a FO angle to me, not the HC. This organization has done that through two regimes, starting with Boselli.

12. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I think he's just flat out honest most of the time period. I love that about him. You can tell he just hates to say anything if it's not dead on true. Thats why he says so little sometimes.

As far as Shanahan, I think their defense was destroyed by injuries and it was a mistake to fire him. At the same time, after 15 years I could understand wanting to go a different direction but it's a mistake.

13. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

If you had a sore ankle or knee or ribs would you want that to be common knowledge so the Finnegans and Jared Allens of the league can draw a bulls-eye on it?

I wouldn't.

Or if you were on defense and weren't 100%, would you want the other guys' offensive coordinator targeting you every other play?

No coach wants any potential weakness revealed

14. Marcus

That's perfectly understandable for a player that will be in the next game. But if a player has to have an MRI done to find out the extent of damage to a knee, I don't see what the issue is.

15. GP

GP Go Texans!

I don't think it was a mistake to fire Shanny Sr.

I actually wondered how long the guy was going to be able to survive the axe, and I figured he'd get by again somehow.

It was time, IMO. Sometimes familiarity really does breed contempt.

I think he takes a year off, makes the TV circuit like all former iconic coaches, and he'll get offers next off-season.

Maybe he'll have time to mentor and give advice to his son. I kinda' like the idea of Kyle and dad getting together and going over plays and strategy, etc.