Today's John McClain column in the Chronic

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

If John played back what he was saying about a month ago, his face would be redder then a beet.

Saints acquire Brees, shaking up NFL draft

:stirpot:

2. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Imagine that a headline leading one to believe the article is about the signing of Drew Brees and the McClain goes on to spout off his Vince Young propoganda.

It is not Carr vs. Young. It is Carr+Bush vs. Young.

3. KSig44

KSig44 Veteran

People think that is is a Carr vs. Young decision, but we are the top pick. Wouldn't it be a Carr vs. Lienahrt decision? :stirpot:

I've said it before, if Young wans't from Houston and didn't go to UT, he would not evem be a consideration for the first pick. He has too many holes in his game compared to the NFL game to be number 1.

4. TexasDiehard

TexasDiehard Rookie

If you are right bdiddy, its carr + Bush vs Young only because the rest of the NFL would not give a top player or draft pick in trade for carr. Accordingly, carr is worthless on the NFL market and its back to Bush vs Young. Noone spends the top draft pick and $50MM on an undersized running back, especially one with no proven track record of running between the tackles. Running backs don't lead teams to championships and Bush is no leader. VY is a proven championship leader.

The truth is that no one but the Texans thinks that carr has big time NFL potential or they would be offering the Texans top draft picks for carr instead of offering huge money to QBs (Miami and New Orleans) with injury problems. carr is an overrated disaster and only the Texans can't see it and this franchise will suffer until they are forced to accept that reality. The problem is that VY will be leading someone else to championships long before then.

5. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

45 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes ..... tick, tick, tick

6. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I'm sure a Heisman Trophy is just a paper-weight.

7. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Texans84 you know I am not a RB or VY supporter, but watching tape on both I am much more impressed than I once was.

VY has a high risk factor, but if he brings it together he is gonna be a really good QB. Look at Randall Cunningham and imagine him with a little more speed and not as strong an arm, but more charasmatic and you will have Vince. It will take him 2 years to really get the nuances of the NFL, but year 3 he should start coming into his own and by year 4 he will either be really solid or just athletic.

RB is a big time back. Can he handle 30 carries with half of them short yardage? No. Can he run up the middle? Yes. He runs up the middle more often than given credit for, he just breaks it outside as soon as he can. Not sure if his cutting style while going through the line will translate with the more athletic LBs he will face in the NFL, but his speed and track record says that is probably will. He will be a solid back, the more I watch him he reminds me of a cross between Clinton Portis and Dave Meggett. I know that is a broad spectrum but check out Meggett in his prime.

Cant blame John for wanting VY, it is a good story, but Carr is our guy and VY will not be coming here. Look for him to land with Arizona or Oakland.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Ahh yes...... the Heisman........ RBs who win the heisman command $40 million & the #1 pick......... Did Ricky Williams win something similar to the Heisman?? Because it couldn't have been the Heisman the way that turned out. It may have been converted to some kind of bong by now. Ron Dayne may be using his as a paperweight, because it ain't helping his pocket book none either.

Sides, I've always seen it as Carr Vs Young...... that dang Kubiak screwed that up for me. Sage Rosenfell(sp) humph....... but it's all good.

If San Diego had the #1 overall this year, no one would be talking about Reggie Bush going #1. If it were the Eagles, no one would be talking about VY. It's that simple. Last Year, Matt Lienart would've been the #1 pick, no questions asked.

Now all you folks, who think Lienart is rated above Vince, let me put it to you this way.

Who do you take with the #1 overall, Reggie Bush or Lendale White?? I haven't checked. Didn't even look, but I here their stats are comparable. TDs.. Rushing yards..... etc... but who do you think is more exciting to watch??

Who runs more like an NFL style Running Back?? Who's game is most unlike most NFL runningbacks?? Who is more exciting to watch??

Same thing with Vince. Statwise, they are a lot closer than most want to admit.......... passing the ball their senior season. But Vince Brings athleticism into the picture. Vince Brings a leadership quality that is very much desired in starting QBs......... most of them don't have it..... not even in the NFL.

9. el toro

el toro All Pro

As much as fans want an immediate impact they should be happy that the team has retained Carr and is apparently going to go with Bush in the draft.

10. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I cannot believe McClain wrote that...

11. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

i still don't understand why some of the talk in the area hasn't focused on Matt Leinart. Although he may not be as athletic as Young, he has proven to be a leader, and very good pocket passer, and shown the ability to also lead his team to championships, two! (Although one is up for debate) I still believe this is a heart-felt decision in the great city of Houston, and that if any QB change needs to be made, go with a guy who has shown just as much and more of a NFL style QB. I personally think Carr can get the job done, and love the guy, therefore Bush would be my pick, but if your going tot make the switch, go for the consensus sure shot, rather than the great hope!:twocents:

12. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

This is a very good point, except for some major omissions. Barry Sanders showed that speedy, elusive runners who break the big runs can make it in the NFL, can even make it in the Hall of Fame. Randall Cuningham is the only running QB to ever get anywhere in the NFL. Sure Mark Brunell, John Elway and Brett Favre used their legs some, but none of the above mentioned rellied on their legs more then VY.

As much as there is a question mark as there is over RB, he is not the first of his kind to enter the NFL, especially with such a high draft pick and such a high risk.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Main Reason N.O. isn't even interested in Vince, is because they just got rid of a stupid athletic QB that runs like a Deer.

In Houston, just the opposite.

Plus, if you're going to take a QB, you can't pass on the Talent hometown kid...... I mean you can, but I wouldn't. If Reggie McNeal were from Houston, and Vince were from McAllen Texas....... everything else the same, Lienart would get more play. But Vince would still hold the edge, because he doesn't look anything like David Carr.

14. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Is Young really the best QB in the draft? If you just read this board, you would think so. But look at the national media, Young is starting to drop behind Cutler. While I think that Young way better than Cutler. He just seems to be missing something that I can't put my finger on right now. He will mostly likely be a good pro, but I don't think he will live up to his hype.

15. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

Boy where do you people come up with undersized RB.If he is undersized i would take my chances on him.Your comment provided me the will to do some searching,so i went to google and looked up the top 5 RB in NFL history. Well,well,well guess what i found out:

PLayer RD DRAFTED PICK HEIGHT WEIGHT
    Emmit Smith 1 17 5'9 209
    Walter Payton 1 4 5'10 200
    Barry Sanders 1 3 5'8 200
    Eric Dickerson 1 2 6'3 220
    Tony Dorsett 1 2 5'11 192

Reggie Bush PROJECTED 1 1 FACT 6'0 200
    Not bad company to have as being not big enough or worthy of the 1st pick overall.

16. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Also, to add to whiskey's post, that many of the press has indicated that the 6'0 listing for Bush is very generous. Many people have indicated he's more 5-11/10' size.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

5'9" 210 lbs, is equal to 6'3" 220lbs. The only one really close to Reggie's size on that list is Tony Dorsett, who looked much bigger back then...... of course, I was much smaller.

18. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

Bloody hell...I thought this was a dead issue. I thought everyone on the board was in concurence that McLain was a moron?

VY is going to Tenn, not Houston. Lienart is the best QB in this years draft. If the Texans took Lienart over Carr, I would be less fighting for Carr, because it would be more understanding. Lienart is a great QB, certainly better than Carr ever was in college.

19. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

from the combine

5'10"7

has anyone weighed or measured his heart lately?

20. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

Correction.......Reggie Bush is 6'-0", 211lbs