TJ Yates; Bad throws

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Dec 10, 2011.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I just watched TJ's first drive as our starter.

Very freak'n impressive. There were two bad throws (not counting the "fumble"), both to Andre Johnson. It's just sick how that man gets so wide open, it's not like they don't know he's coming. But two of TJ's bad throws were high, one too high, Aj couldn't bring it in. The other Aj was able to bring it down, but couldn't stay on his feet, no YAC.

Other than that, "The Kid" was extremely impressive on that first drive.

2. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

I liked TJ when I saw him in preseason.

To come in cold with the 2 min offense and bring us to within scoring position was fantastic.

He was off at the beginning of the game last week, but the balls were close to the receivers. I just attribute that to some nerves. First game as a starter has to bring a few "butterflies" to the stomach. But he settled in fairly rapidly.

Haven't seen any other rookie QBs this season other than Gabbert. Gabbert has no pocket awareness and seems to have "deer in the headlight" eyes. Could be his Oline (David Carr sysdrome), but TJ seems to know when the pocket is collapsing and moves out of the way. He seems to have the intangibles needed.

3. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Taking into account who he is and the circumstances he was forced into, Yates rocks. :)

4. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

How does this guy fall all the way to the 5th round ? I mean I'm not saying he should have been taken in the first round or even the second round, but all the way to the 5th round ? He's got mobility, descent arm-strength, and accuracy, and size. He's also an experienced QB as he was a multi-year starter, 3 years as a starter I'm thinking ? Don't get it ?

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

From what I've read, Kubiak was in the same place as you. Couldn't believe he was there & took a flyer. But that does bring up a good question.

How do you grade 1st round QBs, & what is TJ missing?

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I just saw the Jacoby drop. The ball was placed quite a bit to Jj's left & he had to dive & try to catch it. I'm not calling that a bad throw, because TJ was throwing around a LB. He could have thrown it the way he did, or over the LB, which is a trickier throw, most likely caused the high balls to Andre earlier.

7. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

4 year starter I believe.

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I've read a couple of times that his lack of a "bigtime" arm was a knock on him but I have yet to see what they were talking about. I think he's got perfectly acceptable arm-strength. Hell in that regard he's a bit of an upgrade to our starter.

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

The reason, IMO, he was a 5th rounder instead of a 2nd or 3rd, is simply that he never got thrown into the media-hype machine at the college level or by Kiper and company. If he would've had a 4 TD game as a junior, and UNC had started 7-0 (even if they finished 8-4), he would've been talked about, garnered attention, and been in the conversation the next year. As silly as that sounds, I think the draft is often impacted by such foolishness.

10. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

After he threw those first two passes high vs ATL, I told my buddy he was rushing his throw, but would settle down. He did exactly that. Even the two high passes were on target. He was just a little amped and rushed them, IMO.

11. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Anybody see Jaws (Ron Jaworski from ESPNs MNF), this past week on PTI say
    he made the call on TJ in this past April NFL Draft ? Jaws alleges he and another football analyst said that TJ was the steal of the 2011 NFL Draft ? FWIW ?

12. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

I was talking about those throws the other day with a buddy and yes, it was clearly a bad pass made by TJ BUT they were thrown in such a way that only AJ could catch them. He was basically throwing two things out there on those plays; either a completion to AJ or an incomplete pass. He made sure no defenders would have a chance to get that ball.

When you look at it with this perspective it made me realize this kid is smarter and is grasping the idea of being an NFL QB much faster than most.

13. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

This is my thought exactly. I would rather him sail them high with an outside chance that our guy gets it or no one does than dropping them in the dirt like Matt typically does. Not saying T.J. is better than,Matt, but in this game I preferred this to what Matt generally does.

I'm also really glad T.J. is coming in and playing against 3 top 10 (maybe top 5?) defenses in a row. Great way to acclimate him to the playoffs.

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

You know, guys and gals, here's the thing. We keep winning, and because of that we see everything through rose colored glasses. You know that's true. But still, he won his first game as a starter against a pretty good team. That does mean he was a good 5th round pick if you judge him on that alone.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Exactly.

16. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Did Jaws post a link to this alledged prediction? You know we don't believe nuttin' unless he posts a link....
    :D

17. Rey

Rey Guest

I agree Dale.

18. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I can't find anything on him saying steal of the draft, but if you go back and read our reactions to the pick initially its pretty funny.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81500&highlight=Selection&page=22

Apparently some guys were saying he was guna be real good (Dilfer and Mayock).

One post from there:

ESPN guys on T.J. Yates:

19. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

In the interest of full disclosure, you're forgetting that attempt to Foster that would have been pick-sixed if not for Dunta's holding penalty. That was, by far, his worse throw of the day.

What I liked about that mis-play is the kid didn't get shell-shocked by it. the very next play he threw deep middle to J.Jones. Two plays later he hit KW for a first down to keep the drive going that produced the winning score.

Like Thorn pointed out, we only have a little data on the kid. But so far, so good.
    :turtle:

20. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I am not saying Yates can throw the ball as hard a Favre, but in the link provided by Texanfan with Helmet hair's quote that Yates' arm is average.

That scares me being JJ had to turn up the Juggs machine :kitten:

what kind of arm strength does THE Matt's have? below average?