Titans Sign Chris Hope

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Texans34Life, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

Texans | Team will meet with Hope
    Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:17:42 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Houston Texans will meet with free agent S Chris Hope (Steelers) Tuesday, March 14.

2. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Well as one of the guys that was trumpeting this guy earlier, I now dont want him to come to our team. He wants top 5 safety money and bottomline he has not played up to that kind of asking price.

Personally I lowball him and he can go somewere else or we get him at a premium. He is talented and tough, but for the price he is asking he is not worth it.

3. Big78

Big78 Veteran

agreed. he is an above average player, but only brian dawkins, lawyer milloy, and Jesus can ask for that kind of money.

4. bATXle red

bATXle red Rookie

from profootballtalk.com
    As one league source explained, "Hope has no one interested in him because all the teams get the films of all the games. He is slow, can't tackle, and he is dumb, all of the qualities that go into a big contract."

sounds like we're getting a safety. wonder how much we'll pay him... where's charley?

5. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

For what it's worth CBS Sportline has him as it's 6th best FA on the market at any position. Not that they are the gospel, but you have to take profootball talk with a large grain of salt. From what I have personally seen of him (and watching safety play on tv is hard) I would equate his level of play as a safety as I did Givens as a WR - good, but not elite or great. But, he would be a huge upgrade over any safety on the roster. Again, like Givens, if he wants good money, let's talk. If he wants crazy money, see ya later. Glad they have him in though, and let's see what happens from here.

Here is CBS sportsline:
    6. Chris Hope, S, Steelers: He had more tackles and more interceptions than Troy Polamalu did last year. He's a rangy player who can also play the run when needed.

link

6. HoustonTexans

HoustonTexans Rookie

Thats because teams tend to keep away from Polamalu...

7. bATXle red

bATXle red Rookie

kffl.com

"Steelers | Clark expected to start
    Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:47:24 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers S Ryan Clark is expected to start at free safety in 2006. The team does not expect free agent S Chris Hope to return in 2006."

why don't the super bowl champion steelers want to keep their starting FS?
    if it's a money issue i can understand, but if theres more to it i'm not sure it's worth taking any chances on.

8. el toro

el toro All Pro

Worth good money but not crazy money. Sometimes the best free agent signings are the ones you don't make.

9. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

Ok, I've seen ppl saying he's asking for crazy money. What is his asking price? If not Hope what is another viable solution. I hear ppl getting tired of the FO not doing anything, but as soon as something is done there's alot of complaining.

10. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that Pittsburgh is much more adept at developing talent than others. They consistently recruit and sign young players that thrive in a system.

I think this is a case of the Steeleres believing in their depth and that it is financially irrespobsible to sign someone to large money when they build their organization on developing younger talent.

11. feebleminded

feebleminded .

My nomination for post of the year..... LMAO

12. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

With Marcus Coleman gone, I guess its smart to go after a good young FS. And he is obviously the best one on the market.

13. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I don't see us signing him. He will probably want a huge contract, but there's nothing wrong with having hope.

14. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Unless it's a sweet deal (for us) financially I "hope" we stay from him. Havn't heard to many glowing reviews over the last week.

15. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

Nothing wrong with having hope??? as in hope we sign him or having C. Hope?? And if its no the latter of the two...hope in what??

16. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

It was kind of a joke. I think he meant we have hope that we can sign him for a decent amount of money. He also meant C hope would be a good addition to the team.

17. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

You hit it right on. I think C hope would be a great addition to the team.

18. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

I'm not a fan of signing Hope. I think everyone in the Steelers secondary, other than Polamalu of course, is overrated since their front 7 (front 8 with Polamalu) gets so much pressure on opposing QB's.

And we can find a free safety in the draft, perhaps even round 2. Simpson, Whitner? It depends on who falls to round 2.

chuckm likes this.
  19. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

good point

20. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

You have to realize it works both ways though. Polamalu playing by the line of scrimage all the time meant he was leaving the CBs and Hope to fend for themselves.