Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Titans send Cops looking for Vince Young !

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Young left his home around 7 p.m. Monday without a phone, prompting the Titans to call Nashville police for help. The team got a message to Young through a friend, and the quarterback met with coach Jeff Fisher and police at team headquarters around 11:30 p.m. Police spokesman Don Aaron said Young drove himself home about 30 minutes later.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5990720.html

why is this news???

That is what the world is asking as well.

Vince, just stay home, stop freaking your family by making them think you are unbalanced, and making them call the police because they are worried that you will kill yourself. Also, it would be a good idea NOT to have a gun with you when your family thinks you may be suicidal.

When the police get called, it becomes a story.

why is this news???

Becuase it shows how concerned the Titans are that VY can't "handle it". If someone I know disappears for a few hours, I may raise and eyebrow, but won't be concerned enough to call the cops. The fact that they called the police shows that his mental state is highly suspect and that his coaches believe he may be capable of a mental collapse.

"Ultimately, it appears the initial concerns about his emotional state were unfounded," Aaron said Tuesday. "But no one actually knew that until he was spoken to face to face."

Aaron also said Young had an unloaded handgun in the glovebox of his car. Tennessee law permits unloaded firearms in vehicles as long as no ammunition is present.

Young hurt his knee late in Sunday's 17-10 win over Jacksonville and was booed heavily by fans.

"Given the totality of the circumstances, the fact that Young had been emotionally down all day Coach Fisher contacted the police department and asked for help in finding him to check on his emotional well-being," Aaron said.

Wow, I had no idea he was this emotionally fragile.
Not trying to be ugly or anything, just surprised that this is an issue for VY.
Sounds like he needs to attend the David Carr School of Just Have Fun and ignore the crowd.

"Tennessee law permits unloaded firearms in vehicles as long as no ammunition is present."

so if the chit hits the fan, what do you do, call timeout until you can locate some ammo? I don't care much for that law...

as for the cops out looking for vy, maybe the Nahville detectives can assist in locating his missing passing game as well.

i've been in situations where I've been angry and go and drive off for a couple of hours..................sometimes it worries others, but at that point in time, you're not thinking straight. I'm not making much of this.........kinda reminds me of T.O. "trying to commit suicide" a couple of years back..................

What we're reading in the stories is all "Police weren't worried" and "After talking to the coach and the police everything turned out fine" and all that but the real story is the stuff that nobody is talking about. What exactly did he do or has he been doing to make people close to him think that he might be a danger to himself? What did those people say to Fisher to convince him that the police needed to be called and that everybody needed to start searching for Vince Young like this was The Truman Show or something?

See, in general having a hot potato issue like a quitting QB or a guy whose a bit of a head case as your team leader isn't something that most NFL teams want a lot of light shone on. Likewise most people who start talking to others outside their immediate family about a person being a danger to himself have seen or heard something to make them believe it.

This story might fade a little bit in the short term now that damage-control has gone into effect but it's not going away. It is entirely possible that the team that screwed the pooch biggest on the "Big Three" of the first round of 2006 might turn out to be Bud's Titans.

no one ever said he was a danger to himself.....

edit

and they found him at a friends house..............doesn't sound like anything "crazy" to me.........

Last edited:
I dunno, but wan't there a story circulating that VY had considered retirering after his first NFL season ? I'm pretty sure I read something along these lines and I was certainly surpirised because by all indications his rookie year in the NFL was a rousing success ? I believe he was named offensive ROY ?
But that story was an eye-opener for me and gave some insight into a guys psyche who was a success in his field, even a sports celeb who I'd always assumed was also very care-free and secure.

The big deal is his family knows he is currently messed up in the head. Otherwise, why would they bother calling the police? It was a huge deal to them. If a family member went home pissed/sad/emotionally distraught, and left the house with a gun and not telling anyone about his intentions, I sure as hell would be worried.

"Police said they do not know whether the gun was registered to Young."

When do police find a gun in a glovebox and NOT asked to see the registration??

Are you supposed to carry your registration on you? Here in Texas, it doesn't take much more than a pulse to buy a firearm and you don't have to register anything. Maybe (probably) TN is different but does any one know enough to comment on the law?

Are you supposed to carry your registration on you? Here in Texas, it doesn't take much more than a pulse to buy a firearm and you don't have to register anything. Maybe (probably) TN is different but does any one know enough to comment on the law?

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/faq.htm

"Q: How do I get a concealed handgun license application?
A: You may pick up an application request card from most DPS offices or gun or sporting goods stores, fill it out and mail it to the DPS."

Handguns you do a shotgun not so much. Of course I do not know how big the glove-compartment is on vy's car but I will to take a guess and say it is not that big.

and they found him at a friends house..............doesn't sound like anything "crazy" to me.........

which is why I don't see what the big deal is...........

You're not looking at the big picture here. The "big" deal is that those close to him personally felt the need to contact authorities. It's not that nothing happened, it's that they know 'somethings night right' with VY and are extra cautious and careful.

It's like if a Runningback is running and fumbles the ball but the offense still recovers it- sure you're fine and 'safe' on that 1 play, but the coach is going to chew your ass off b/c next time you might not be so lucky. Sounds like all that happened is the QB coach told the Head coach, 'hey... this guy could have a fumbling problem. Most likely nothing will happen, but you might check cuz I'm kind of worried.'

Sure hope nothing happens with VY and he gets his head on straight (if it's not already). I'd love to see him fail as an opposing QB in the same division... but not off the field. Hopefully his only mistakes come between the endzones.

I agree with the dream and trust me I have no love for the guy nor will I ever be the defender of VY. However, there is an easier way to percieve this.
VY probably had too much drink(which happens to the best of us) and got behind the wheel. He probably seemed down or incoherent and someone remebered he had a gun in his car. They did not want what happened to steve foley to happen to vince so they let someone know he had a gun and was not in the right mind. This was done so the cops would not make any mistakes.

This was blown way out of proportion because the sports media linked it to his bad game. I wouldnt read too much into it.

Somehow these two shouldn't appear in the same post:

VY probably had too much drink(which happens to the best of us) and got behind the wheel. He probably seemed down or incoherent and someone remebered he had a gun in his car.

-and-

This was blown way out of proportion

ahhhhem cheter pitts ahemmmmm remember

that is a little different . that is someone getting stopped and evading arrest, that is not someone that decides to leave the house and a family or friend is worried about them after a few hours and then the family/friend calls the players coach and then the Fisher decides to have cops look for him and try to find him

For the record I don't know what happened . I dont' know if any of us will really know who jumped the gun (family/friend or Jeff Fisher) .. bottom line is someone was worried enough about Vince to have the cops search for him..

All kidding aside, I hope with what issues we have seen over the last few years with him that the kid gets help if he needs it.

that is a little different . that is someone getting stopped and evading arrest, that is not someone that decides to leave the house and a family or friend is worried about them after a few hours and then the family/friend calls the players coach and then the Fisher decides to have cops look for him and try to find him

I cant see the diffence between the two and again trust me I am no VY fan (horns down) what law did he break? did he not have a permit? was he drunk? did he willfully disobey an order of a policeman? oh wait now i see the difference. what CP did was worse.

ahhhhem cheter pitts ahemmmmm remember

First Chester wasn't arrested for a DWI or anything remotely close.

Second, you wont see me defend anyone that drinks and drives.
If the guy was so distraught that he got liquored up and drove off in a tizzy, than thats even worse than what was being reported, because now he's a danger to other people besides himself... but thats off the point.

This is more about a pattern of immature behavior or a possibly troubled young person. So far in his young career :
a) He misses a flight.
b) Gets into a fight at practice.
c) Sulks on the sidelines (see TC's picture),
d) almost quits,
e) attends a sausage boi party
f) tries to take himself out of the game,
g) gets injured (not that is his fault),
h) sulks some more,
i) and finally Coach Fish gets a phone call from 'concerned' friends. Coach Fish being concerned calls the police... ALL after the first game of only his third season.

Once is an occurrence, Twice is coincidence, three times is a trend....

PS... About Pitts (the son of a detective); he was no-billed so totally irrelevant

Pitts was accused of leading police on a short chase after a routine traffic stop. But today, a grand jury declined to indict him on any charges.
Saying he had no hard feelings, Chester Pitts emerged after waiting six hours today to talk to the grand jury.
"Obviously I'm happy the system worked, everything worked out," Pitts said. "It's the way I said it was, it truly was a misunderstanding

Memo to Vince Young: Time to Man Up [link]

340x.jpg

I was under the impression that all guns, with the possible exception of shotguns, had to be registered in Texas when you bought them.

Am I wrong about this?

:coffee:

If the guy was so distraught that he got liquored up and drove off in a tizzy, than thats even worse than what was being reported, because now he's a danger to other people besides himself... but thats off the point.

This is more about a pattern of immature behavior or a possibly troubled young person. So far in his young career :
a) He misses a flight.
d) almost quits,
h) sulks some more,
i) and finally Coach Fish gets a phone call from 'concerned' friends. Coach Fish being concerned calls the police... ALL after the first game of only his third season.

I think the Titans just wanted to avoid the foley situation and that was my real point.

Mental collapse?

Does this mean VY would have only scored a 2 on his wunderlich under such mental stress?

I wonder how he handled all of the classroom stress @ UT?

a) He misses a flight.
d) almost quits,
h) sulks some more,

I count 9.

Don't know if anybody post this article yet, his mom made some comments in it.

Felicia Young said her son has grown weary of all the negativity he faces as an NFL star. On Monday, he indicated to those around him he didn’t want to play football any more.

“But he will be fine if people are prayerful and help my baby boy out. He is a young man. He just needs a lot of love and support.’’

After Young balked at having the MRI on Monday, Fisher went out and talked to him at his Brentwood home, spending over an hour with him. The Titans also sent a psychologist, Dr. Sheila Peters, and Tina Tuggle, the team’s Director of Player Development, to meet with Young to try and encourage him.

The psychologist said Young was extremely depressed and expressed concerns to the team about Young’s safety. Later, Young left the house and sped off in his Mercedes Benz without his cell phone. He couldn’t be found for some time, which prompted a phone call to Fisher.

On Sunday, before Young was injured against the Jaguars, he initially refused to re-enter the game after throwing an interception and getting booed by fans. His decision to ignore the team’s request for him to have the MRI created even more friction between the player and the team, and indications last night were the Titans have turned the team over to back-up quarterback Kerry Collins.

Even when Young returns from his injury, he might not get his job back.

Then there’s the question about whether Young is interested in returning, something he mentioned to those who were with him on Monday.

“What would you think, if you were tired of being ridiculed and persecuted and talked about and not being treated very well, what would you do? What kind of decision would you make?’’ Felecia Young asked. “He may not want to deal with it (all), but you have to get to that point before you make that decision first.

“But we’re not talking about football right now. We’re talking about what would make him happy, and that is the most important thing.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS01/80909129/1027

I read two article about this situation already, and have yet to see VY comment on it... odd.

Something tells me that Vince is taking medication for some type of psych condition...

His conduct shows manic depressive behavior, anxiety, some anti-social conduct-- all the typical signs of someone not taking their meds or someone taking new meds or a different dosage.

He shouldn't have access to a weapon, even if unloaded.

If it was controlled substances they would have already tested and maybe suspended him under the Drug policy.

Don't know if anybody post this article yet, his mom made some comments in it.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS01/80909129/1027

I read two article about this situation already, and have yet to see VY comment on it... odd.

on a NFL level
"I wouldn't know bout people criticizing me"

signed,
Mario Williams

on a serious level as a person. I hope he gets some help, he needs his friends,family,teammates and fans for support, if he is suffering from depression.. it is a battle. Lots of people put him on a pedestal really fast when coming into the NFL.. and was really hard to live up to that being an NFL QB and then going to Pro Bowl.. things possibly came to fast too soon. Bush has Duece and Coleston to carry the team,so the pressure wasn't on him as much

all joking aside
My prayers go to Vince that he can get his head on straight and that he gets help that he needs through all the people that surround him.If it is mental illness, that is a tough climb

I was under the impression that all guns, with the possible exception of shotguns, had to be registered in Texas when you bought them.

Am I wrong about this?

:coffee:

Handguns only, I believe.

Rifles (non-automatic) and shotguns are excluded. Otherwise, about 30,000 farmers and ranchers would need to be locked up for not registering their rifle/shotgun.

Owning an automatic weapon requires that you hold a special automatic weapons dealer's license, IIRC. And, IIRC, it is DANG difficult and costly to be awarded this license. Can anyone verify my thoughts on automatic weapons?

His career is done.

I watched some of Sunday's game, when he had to come out due to the knee injury, and I saw "that look" and his body language on the bench. So when I saw this story hit the websites, it was noooooo suprise to me. He just looked emotionally miserable.

Now that the draft drama has faded, now that he has played a few downs of NFL football, he's got nothing to live for on the NFL field. Whether it's Earl Campbell-like issues, or not, is beyond me. Maybe Bud Adams has this sort of effect on people?

But I just think we saw the last of Vince Young playing NFL football.

And face it, a human life is more important than the game of football. For all the joking I have done on this topic...I sincerely hope he gets well. I don't think there's any doubt that he needs rest.

Never thought I'd think this way, but I do.

Handguns only, I believe.

Rifles (non-automatic) and shotguns are excluded. Otherwise, about 30,000 farmers and ranchers would need to be locked up for not registering their rifle/shotgun.

Owning an automatic weapon requires that you hold a special automatic weapons dealer's license, IIRC. And, IIRC, it is DANG difficult and costly to be awarded this license. Can anyone verify my thoughts on automatic weapons?

Yes, you will need a Federal Firearms License.. and all the hassles that license involves-- lots of paperwork, .. if you can get one to begin with.

Looks like he's done:

Link: http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS01/80909129/1002/SPORTS

Clipped from the Jim Wyatt article:

A psychologist was among those who met with Young at his Brentwood home on Monday,
and what she concluded and told team officials led to a bizarre, 24-hour period
that ended just after midnight Tuesday morning. That’s when Fisher met with Young
and police at Baptist Sports Park.

Felicia Young said her son has grown weary of all the negativity he faces as an
NFL star. On Monday, he indicated to those around him he didn’t want to play
football any more.

“Vince has gone through a whole lot as a young person,’’ Felicia Young said. “And
I think he has done pretty well up to this point. But it is hard, all he is going
through right now. He’s hurting inside and out.

“But he will be fine if people are prayerful and help my baby boy out. He is a
young man. He just needs a lot of love and support.’’

The events of the last 48 hours, however, have clearly left a lasting mark on both
Young and the Titans.

On Sunday, before Young was injured against the Jaguars, he initially refused to
re-enter the game after throwing an interception and getting booed by fans. His
decision to ignore the team’s request for him to have the MRI created even more
friction between the player and the team, and indications last night were the
Titans have turned the team over to back-up quarterback Kerry Collins.

Even when Young returns from his injury, he might not get his job back.

The Titans believe Young’s injury is one that will keep him out anywhere from 2-4
weeks.

Then there’s the question about whether Young is interested in returning, something
he mentioned to those who were with him on Monday.

“What would you think, if you were tired of being ridiculed and persecuted and
talked about and not being treated very well, what would you do? What kind of
decision would you make?’’ Felicia Young asked. “He may not want to deal with it
(all), but you have to get to that point before you make that decision first.

“But we’re not talking about football right now. We’re talking about what would
make him happy, and that is the most important thing.

“… You don’t want people to be hurting like he is. But it is a growing-up process,
and he will eventually come out like gold no matter what. But Vince is going to be
OK. We are just going to try and give him some space.”

“But we’re not talking about football right now. We’re talking about what would
make him happy, and that is the most important thing.

someone needs to remind Momma Young that the fine house she's got her rear parked in now is a result of her Cuckoos Nest son playing football. If he can't go anymore, there will be some money owed back to the titans.

Part of "growing up" is learning to take criticism like a MAN/WOMAN!! Happen's to the best of us. Athletes in every sport face the same MEDIA blitz of criticism, as do movie stars, ministers, political candidates, etc, etc, etc. MAMA needs to tell her BOY to man up and get some balls!! JMO!! He's acting like a spoiled brat who continues to pout because he didn't get his way. He made it VERY clear he wanted to be a TEXAN, not a TITAN!:) Probably delusional now, cause he PROBABLY thinks, with the god syndrome he has, that IF the Texans had drafted him, we would be SB bound! He's a one man team don't ya know!!!

Vince could perhaps have an undiagnosed depression issue....

I hope he gets the help he quite obviously needs.

The thing that surprises me most, is that this was completely predictable.

Remember when eveyrone said "Vince Young has been a winner at every stage of his career."

I guess what they were implying was that he's never learned to lose

Back