Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Titans: Chris Johnson TD

The Titans put up 340 yards rushing last night. Wishbone teams don't put up that much.

I'm gonna be like the stubborn one in Monty Python....

I hated the pick as a Titan fan, and will hate it even if he makes me look like an ***** all season. Once he hits 1,500 yards or something, then I'll STFU and admit I was wrong. Until then I still have no clue why they don't value a real WR.

I hated the pick as a Titan fan, and will hate it even if he makes me look like an ***** all season. Once he hits 1,500 yards or something, then I'll STFU and admit I was wrong. Until then I still have no clue why they don't value a real WR.

You're a Titans fan?

Why do you need a "real WR"?? You already decided you didn't need a "real QB"

I'm just playing withcha. :specnatz:

But maybe Jeff Fischer is expecting this team to lead the league in rushing, over 2000 yards a season. Like Atlanta did when they went to the NFC Championship game.

With Lendale White, Chris Johnson, & Vince Young, you only need wide recievers who can get open when your QB buys you time.

With that kind of offense.... on the ground, eating up the clock, and a stingy defense.. I can see you going far.

Seriously, who gives a $hit if your QB has more rushing yards than passing... as long as you win.

You're a Titans fan?

Since I was a wee little one living off South Braeswood watching Bum Phillips run Earl Campbell into the ground.

And yes, I was speaking a tad in jest :)

Not a fan of my draft this year and hoping to be proven wrong, trust me.

I never thought it was a bad pick. Johnson looks like a nice complement to the power running of White.

I also don't understand why people complain so much about the Titans waiting to pick a WR until the 4th Round (126th Overall).

Their pick, Hawkins, was only the 19th WR selected. In 2007 the 19th WR was selected at 118th Overall. In 2005 the Titans also selected the 19th WR taken but that time he was selected at 136th Overall. The big difference is that in the 2008 Draft, no WR's were selected in the 1st round.

I don't know why everyone expected the Titans to reach for a WR in the 1st Round when it is obvious that the entire league felt that none of them deserved to be picked in the 1st Round.

I never thought it was a bad pick. Johnson looks like a nice complement to the power running of White.

I also don't understand why people complain so much about the Titans waiting to pick a WR until the 4th Round (126th Overall).

Their pick, Hawkins, was only the 19th WR selected. In 2007 the 19th WR was selected at 118th Overall. In 2005 the Titans also selected the 19th WR taken but that time he was selected at 136th Overall. The big difference is that in the 2008 Draft, no WR's were selected in the 1st round.

I don't know why everyone expected the Titans to reach for a WR in the 1st Round when it is obvious that the entire league felt that none of them deserved to be picked in the 1st Round.

It wasn't about that....

1) Johnson wasn't what I thought the club needed most. We needed a DE or CB IMO with our top pick, and if one didn't grade out worthy of pick #24, then trade down.

2) When WRs like Sweed started dropping into the 2nd round, I was shocked the Titans didn't grab one, especially Sweed, DeShaun Jackson, Manningham Doucet, Hardy etc. I know none of them were great, but I have no confidence in the ones on the roster as constructed.

If Hawkins pans out, again, I'll be happy to eat crow. Believe me.

dude definitely can hit the home run. blinding speed and he split that seam something fierece.

Re: those titans looked pretty impressive as a whole, pretty much. i wish we had Jeff Fisher here in Houston. His teams just seem to be really well prepared week after week. (I like Kubiak but I think just about anyone has to admit that Fisher > Kubiak). That guy just coaches his ass off and does more with less year after year. Best coach currently in the league for my money..the whole cheating thing hurts Belicheat's standing imho. Sucks for him that he works for Bud the scumbag. Fisher's teams just make plays. Just dominated the Rams. We better watch out and not get so drunk on all this 'VY sucks' stuff and realize that we have to put it together this year in Houston or we could go 0-6 in the division. It's just a brutal division....

...maybe McNair should have gone to the NFC after all :) We could have been in the 49ers, Seahawks, and Arizona division. That looks pretty good right about now.

fwiw - how awesome is it that we can watch all these preseason games this year on NFLN? its finally here, FOOTBALL!.

It wasn't about that....

2) When WRs like Sweed started dropping into the 2nd round, I was shocked the Titans didn't grab one, especially Sweed, DeShaun Jackson, Manningham Doucet, Hardy etc. I know none of them were great, but I have no confidence in the ones on the roster as constructed.

If Hawkins pans out, again, I'll be happy to eat crow. Believe me.

Sweed was taken the pick before us. Jackson is not what we lack in a receiver and was selected before us, Manningham is that type of receiver but he has had character issues and we know how this team doesn't need that anymore along with doubts he could play at that level in NFL. Doucet isn't what we need at receiver. Hardy was selected before us.

Now if you are saying we should have traded up then its a different conversation but no receiver was worth a first round grade hence none were taken in the first round. And we have small and fast, we need tall, fast and reliable.

Now you ask why did we draft Hawkins then? He was the only one left worth a damn. Look at the receivers drafted after him.... Keenan Burton, Kenneth Moore, Matt Slater, Marcus Henry, etc.

And I'll say it again. We don't NEED a receiver, we need playmakers on offense. Johnson is that playmaker.

Sweed was taken the pick before us. Jackson is not what we lack in a receiver and was selected before us, Manningham is that type of receiver but he has had character issues and we know how this team doesn't need that anymore along with doubts he could play at that level in NFL. Doucet isn't what we need at receiver. Hardy was selected before us.

Now if you are saying we should have traded up then its a different conversation but no receiver was worth a first round grade hence none were taken in the first round. And we have small and fast, we need tall, fast and reliable.

Now you ask why did we draft Hawkins then? He was the only one left worth a damn. Look at the receivers drafted after him.... Keenan Burton, Kenneth Moore, Matt Slater, Marcus Henry, etc.

And I'll say it again. We don't NEED a receiver, we need playmakers on offense. Johnson is that playmaker.

No argument on the descriptions - I do disagree - Sweed was there, we chose not to trade up a couple picks, which really bugged me, it wasn't going to be that costly. Jason Jones better pan out.

I think my other issue that continues to simmer is that we have basically admitted Chris Henry was a complete dumbass waste of a 2nd rounder last year.

I still think it was a bonehead pick. One looooooong run aint gonna change that.

But I did say "wow" when it happened. I just aint all about speed in the NFL. Give me a guy who will pound the ball 25 times a game for 4 yards average. I think speed is great in college football. But the NFL IMO is a power game.

But hey, ive been wrong before.

Yep, agree to the speed - but I'm sure Slaton could do similar if he wasn't touched (and our OL blocks) like C Johnson's situation was.

This guy is going to eat us alive with the screen plays, if moron greenwood and CC Brown is still our starters.

I watched the highlights last night and that guy can fly.

ehh, he's aight, but this is a weapon who can fly, here. you see how he literally almost took off catching that ball?... he has to slow down to prevent from taking off....... or wait, was he coming down?

340x.jpg

I still think it was a bonehead pick. One looooooong run aint gonna change that.

But I did say "wow" when it happened. I just aint all about speed in the NFL. Give me a guy who will pound the ball 25 times a game for 4 yards average. I think speed is great in college football. But the NFL IMO is a power game.

But hey, ive been wrong before.

We have no one at Safety or LB who can cover the guy. No one. Vincent can't hit the broad side of a barn consistently from fifteen yards out. It was a shrewd pick and may haunt us for many years. They got six weeks to get Adibi on line. And that still may not be enough.

No argument on the descriptions - I do disagree - Sweed was there, we chose not to trade up a couple picks, which really bugged me, it wasn't going to be that costly. Jason Jones better pan out.

I think my other issue that continues to simmer is that we have basically admitted Chris Henry was a complete dumbass waste of a 2nd rounder last year.

Yea I said we could have traded up but they chose not to. The way Jason Jones played Saturday I see no reason for a Titans fan to complain.

Chris Henry was a wasted pick but its over and he will be cut soon.

After watching some of that Rams-Titans preseason game, I'm wondering if the Titans running attack is really that or whether the Rams are really just that bad. I mean, almost ALL the Titans backs were looking good.

He'll probably make the practice squad.

Yea or someone will pick him up. I think his attributes (speed and physique) are too good to not give a look but he's been pushed out by Johnson and if Ganther has another game like last week I believe Henry will be the odd man out.

After watching some of that Rams-Titans preseason game, I'm wondering if the Titans running attack is really that or whether the Rams are really just that bad. I mean, almost ALL the Titans backs were looking good.

We have a pretty good (and deep) o-line and some great blocking tight ends. I agree that the Rams front line is nothing to write home about but our rushing attack was good last year without Johnson. You had to have thought it would be the same if not better even when the loss of two linemen are factored in. This weekend against the Raiders will be a better measuring tool to see where we're at.

Well, IIRC, Chris Long was demolished on the long TD run. He was lined up at RDE and ended up on the opposite side of the field. LMAO!

I think Long will eventually be a good player, but DAMN! It looked like the guy blocking him was pushing a cart and Long just hopped on it for a ride.

Well, IIRC, Chris Long was demolished on the long TD run. He was lined up at RDE and ended up on the opposite side of the field. LMAO!

I think Long will eventually be a good player, but DAMN! It looked like the guy blocking him was pushing a cart and Long just hopped on it for a ride.

Long may have been the most overrated player in that draft since nobody talked about run support....they just marveled at his potential pass rush. He looked pathetic when run directly at....I recorded the game myself and the Rams looked awful and the Titans looked dominant. I think the Titan D is gonna be special this season...unfortunately.

Back