Time to talk offseason

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Pantherstang84, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

With the weaknesses at WR and CB with the Texans up against the cap, there will need to be a few cap casualties. Don't forget Foster has to get paid too. Name em and why. I'll go first...

Mario Williams. It was Mario's bad luck he got injured. His injury gave Brooks Reed an opportunity and he made the best of it.

2. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

WR and a true #2 CB are our biggest needs. I'm too bummed to talk specific right now though.

But pay Foster. Pay the man, Rick.

3. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

Cut ties with Jacoby Jones. Need I say more?

...and hopefully a new S&C coach?

4. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

WR... WR... Another CB and another kicker.

5. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I liked the progress of McCain, McMannis, and KJ this season. although it took KJ much longer than the other 2. Isn't Allen a FA in the offseason? He may or may not walk, and hopefully Brandon Harris has been getting coached up while he's watched this defense play outstanding like

6. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I am wondering if we need to trade Mario this season to keep things together enough to make a run with a healthy Schaub.

I really like Mario, but you have to make some tough calls.

We really need another playmaking WR.

I imagine we might have seen the last of Dreessen too. He has played well this year and with the emergence of the TE position this year, he might end up getting more than we can pay.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

This thinking just doesn't make sense to me. If you want this defense to be what we think it should be, you add a Mario Williams, you don't subtract one. If you don't resign him, then an outside pass rusher becomes imperative in the upcoming draft. 1st or 2nd round.

Instead, let the freak'n GM do his job & manage the cap, sign Mario & get us 3 or 4 offensive studs in this upcoming draft.

We'll blow the doors off the NFL next season.

8. Kimmy

Kimmy RealGirls LvFB!

Not yet ... I'm just not ready for anything yet.

The one saving grace is, we don't have to keep typing next year. We made it to next year.

9. Lurvinator11

Lurvinator11 Hall of Fame

Tough game today. We could have won, but the way we played, we have a bright future ahead of us. I wanted to make this thread with all of us talking about who we should keep and who should go.

Keep Arian Foster for sure! Sign that man to a long term deal! Give him the big bucks! Keep Williams as well. Brooks was really good this year, but having Mario and Brooks changing out, we can be unstoppable!

Cut Jacoby. Sorry dude, not only did that muff cost us the game, you have been very lazy. Cap casualty. Also Hot tub time machine will be gone as well. Maybe we can trade him for some value, but the way TJ performed, TJ gets promoted to back up.

So Texans fans, Who stays? Who goes? Who should we pick up?
    Let the discussion start now!

10. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

The whole defense stays.
    Wade stays.
    The whole O-line stays... well, maybe we bring in someone to challenge Caldwell for his spot.

I'm not as excited about Mr. T.J. INT being our #2 QB as some of you are. Needs to learn how to look off the safeties a lot better. Needs to go thru his progressions more effectively. I like his mobility and arm strength but he needs more seasoning. I'd hate to think of what our record would be if he started all 16 games.

We need two WRs, maybe one from the draft and a vet from F/A.

If Allen leaves via F/A we'll need someone with experience to replace him. I'd rather see KJ go to nickle.

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Off season talk, OK. Who's our QB for the start of the season? Schaub isn't coming back that soon, not from that injury. Yates could be much better I think if he has the off season and training camp taking the 1st string reps.

12. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

Don't tell Schaub that. I think he thinks he will be ready for OTAs. Jus' sayin'.

13. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A

Schaub is already off the crutches and putting weight on the foot.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...playoffs/1852d138-3966-405a-88ae-798dc497b222

Buffi2 likes this.
  14. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

Thanks for the link help. I knew I heard it somewhere

15. gary

gary Hall of Fame

This loss is not on Gary today. The defense played very well and did a fabulous job against Rice. Joseph basically shutdown and dominated Smith all day long. Yates made some mental errors which were too much to over come. All and all it was a great seaon I am happy and proud of the Texans and Gary and Wade too and you guys know that means a lot because I am always very critical of Kubiak. Imagine if Schaub played today then I am pretty sure Gary and Wade get the job done together but just not with Yates who was not too horrid when you consider everything. As far as the offseason is concerned I would re-sign as many free agents as possible and I know that some will have to leave but I am not going to guess who that will be right now. Aftwards I would definitely upgrade the number two receiver position and move Walter the number three making Jones the odd man out after his performance today. I also would upgrade the number two CB spot because Jackson nor Allen are great. Then everywhere else like LB and OL just draft depth and BPA. Congratulations to the Texans on their first ever playoff appearance and win. Overall I am happy about the future with hopefully Wade staying put now. Get Matt Schaub back next season because he is the one who leads the offense and makes them move better and then the sky is the limit IMHO. GO TEXANS SEE YOU NEXT SEASON

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

How many offseason threads do we have? Three and counting? Let's look at existing threads before starting new ones.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  17. A time to chill

A time to chill Rookie

If Bob McNair is smart, he'll look for a new head coach. Unfortunately, he'll probably extend Kubiak's contract for 2-3 more years since he finally got 1 playoff win in 5 seasons. I'd also do everything in my power to ensure that Wade Phillips remains the defensive coordinator.

18. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

You can bank on that happening.
    This will also happen

Another thing you can count on is season ticket prices going...

[​IMG]

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Matt thinks he'll be ready for OTAs........ just push play.

20. 80tothezone

80tothezone Hall of Fame

cap casualties are Williams and trade Tate for picks. Williams is a great pass rusher but not at the price he is gonna ask, Tate is a solid #2 RB and could start on a lot of teams which is why you trade him for a first and a second or even just a first.