Time to rein in the NFL

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TexanSam, Feb 8, 2011.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020705610.html?hpid=artslot

Good article. Unfortunately the 32 rich men in the NFL will probably get what they want.

Double Barrel likes this.
  2. gary

gary Hall of Fame

The owners know how much we crave football and I don't see that stopping.

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

This is what really makes me wonder about our priorities as a nation:

Cities are strapped for cash and are cutting police, fire, and emergency services. Streets and critical infrastructure (i.e. water and sewage lines) are deteriorating and not being fixed or upgraded. Many schools are falling apart, and many are too crowded for children to really get even a modest education. The list of things that directly benefit citizens is long, and the funds have continuously been diverted to build sports complexes for billionaire owners and millionaire players.

Parallels to Rome really are comparable when citizens bleat for more entertainment over the rather mundane, but necessary, things that we continuously take for granted.

And I guess I'm as much a small part of the problem as a fan, too. Perhaps it's time to change.

:thinking:

4. gary

gary Hall of Fame

L.A. is building another new football stadium.:vincepalm:

5. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

The only thing the NFL has to worry about is maybe the NBA thanks to all the stars aligning just right.

The MMA fad has already peaked
    MLB is still old and boring
    NHL... LOL

6. Kulluminatii

Kulluminatii Hall of Fame

Both stadium plans in LA are being privately funded, and the proposed stadium in downtown LA already has a naming rights deal with Farmers Insurance for $700 mill :kitten:.

http://www.farmersfield.com/

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

With this kind of press, if there is a lock out this year it could be worse for the owners than they predict.

Double Barrel likes this.
  8. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

I've thought the SB has been over-hyped for 20 years so I enjoyed the read. The NFL's arrogance has become a sight that is getting harder to miss.

9. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree. I think the owners are arrogant in their assumptions about their customers....errrrr....fans. People watch football as an entertainment escape. But once the business end of the NFL gets in the way of that, and the perception persists that billionaire owners are fighting with millionaire players while basically being subsidized by taxpayer financed stadiums, I think the patience of the common fan is going to be tested with each passing day.

yep. The hype of the event has reached extreme levels of goofy. My 8 yo son wanted to watch some pregame on Sunday, so we flipped on NFLN - you know, the channel devoted to the friggin' sport - and we see Eisen interviewing Jennifer Anniston and Happy Gilmore. Then they go into some really silly thing about showing all the female celebrities that Mariuci has interviewed all week and show all of his hugs in slow motion.

My son turned after a few minutes of this irrelevant nonsense and said "daddy, I thought this channel was about football. Can we go do something interesting?"

I had no problem turning off the tv until kickoff. The event is a giant media circus, and it seems like the only ones really enjoying it are the celebrities and media that get to attend. Media Day is no longer about insight to the game itself, but now goes into plain dumbass with questions about underwear color and other stupid crap. I have yet to meet a football fan that finds much enjoyment from the overwhelming hype.

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I turned on the pregame show and for the first time (for me) noticed that they were talking to people on a "red carpet". People like Keith Urban, not other teams players or old coaches or football talking heads. Just celebrities. I turned it off until kickoff. I don't have any interest in watching that.

In fact I found it downright irritating that they kept showing celebrities in the crowd.

I don't watch the Super Bowl to see who walked the red carpet and where Harrison Ford is sitting. It's all so damned messed up now.

11. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

I turn the TV on about 5 min before the Super Bowl starts.

All the rest of the shows and the previous 2 weeks is nothing but BS. Everything the media has to say or analyze is pure speculation and almost always turns out to be wrong come the game anyway.