Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Time to analyse Schaub

Given what we have seen from Shaub, where does his career project to?

• Elite starter.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Good starter.

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Average starter.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Poor starter/good backup.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Average backup.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Bradlee Van Pelt-esque, cover your eyes awfulness.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
I read this comment on ESPN's Tuesday Morning Quarterback..

Scouts Notes: Houston's Matt Schaub throws pretty well to his left -- but man does he telegraph passes when he throws right. The Steelers have obviously noticed this -- how long until every team does?

It got me to thinking, what exactly have we got ourselves for our two 2nd round picks?

He still has limited starting experience and this sort of comment makes me wonder just how effective he will be in the long term.

This is not a start Sage thread because I don't want that to happen, but I would be interested in how people think he is shaping up and what we see as his strengths and weaknesses and where we project him getting to in terms of being elite starter, good starter, average starter, poor starter/good backup etc etc.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Schaub, like Sage, is a backup QB that is still in the process of learning to be a starter. We'll find out this year what he's made of and if it was a good decision to get him. But we don't know any of that yet.

gtexan02

Working?
He made a few bad decisions, I dont think its the end of the world. I also don't htink he telegraphs passes in one direction only. The pick to Polamalu was to an AJ on his left

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
To be honest I expect him to be a very good QB for us in the long term, but that comment I posted scared me.

If a defense knows what he is doing with the ball and can anticipate that and jump routes etc, that is seriously bad news for his long term viability.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
I read the poll wrong and picked Average. I think he'll be a good starter with time, but you're talking about playing against a defense that is a pressure cooker the entire 60 minutes. He's not going to face the Steelers every week, and I think if the running game improves by about midway through the season we'll all see something we like in him.

I didn't think Schaub telegraphed his passes at all, but I wasn't really looking for it either.

Nawzer

Alienz
Schaub will be an above average starter in the mold of Jake Delhomme. Not a guy who will go to the pro-bowl every year but he'll win games for us. I'm not at all worried about Schaub's performance against the Steelers. I think the coaches did a bad job preparing our guys and you have to tip your hat to the Steelers. I think we'll win this week against the Ravens and all be right in the Texans universe. Ofcourse I admit I could be wrong and we might be talking about Tim Tebow as our qb next year.

Fellas, even Peyton Manning has looked terrible vs. the Steelers' D so to downgrade him based on that would be ignorant
So are you saying Matt Schaub is similar to Peyton Manning on some level?

Schaub is 4-10 as a starter and won 2 of the last 8.

That sounds more like Carr than Manning.

Your use of the word "ignorance" is not appropriate.

Wolf

100% Texan
too early to tell

one thing you can say Texans better find a running game to help him out

I don't know how good he will be. I know he'd suffice if our running game was as good as it's supposed to be.

If I was Kubiak, I'd give him this season to sink or swim. If I don't like what I see I draft a QB early next year and create some competition.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
still too early to tell but I'm not as bullish on him as I used to be. Right now he is a poor mans Chad Pennington.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
So are you saying Matt Schaub is similar to Peyton Manning on some level?

Schaub is 4-10 as a starter and won 2 of the last 8.

That sounds more like Carr than Manning.

Your use of the word "ignorance" is not appropriate.
At least Carr was tough, every time Schaub gets hit, you hold your breath.

Even Kubiak seems to think (from reading some answers in the postgame quotes) when Schaub gets hit about whether he is 'dinged' and Rosenfels needs to warm up.

Vinny

shiny happy fan

Even Kubiak seems to think (from reading some answers in the postgame quotes) when Schaub gets hit about whether he is 'dinged' and Rosenfels needs to warm up.
jerky is tough too but that doesn't make a good QB either. Not being tough enough and being a bad QB are both bad problems.

hadaad

Rookie
Disappointed that there's not an "incomplete" there.

How much did we see from Vinny Testaverde his first, what, decade, in the league? He turned out all right.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
I know that I'm disappointed with him.

I know that if I was the opposing team's DC, I'd have them pin their ears back and put a hard lick on him as soon as possible, and he wouldn't be sh!t after that.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Disappointed that there's not an "incomplete" there.

How much did we see from Vinny Testaverde his first, what, decade, in the league? He turned out all right.
So hadaad, your telling me that there is hope for Carr yet?

I won't get rid of my Carr jersey then!! One day it might be worth something.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
But hey, you know what?

Even though Schaub hasn't met my expectations, after what I've been hearing, reading, and seeing lately, if the Titans were to offer VY for Schaub, I'd say no way unless you throw in next year's 1st round draft pick.

I mean, jeez louise, they got themselves a real nut case over in Tennessee.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Yes, they do. And I was one of those that wanted him over Mario or Bush. Amazing how time changes your perspective on things. LOL

Buffi2

Veteran
Now I feel sorry for Vince - but that is beside the point - better their problem than ours.

As to Schaub - the jury is still out. I'm not going to make a call on this one for a few more games, at least. I will echo the fact that they need a running game of sorts or it won't matter how good he is. They really need to find someone - anyone - who can run the ball while consistently making some yardage. So far, we can run the ball but not very far and often backwards - this is not a good thing.

J-Russ

Veteran
Couldn't we atleast wait til after we play three or four more regular season game before we start an "analyze Schaub Thread"?

Oh btw, Brad-Lee Van Pelt bad? Puhh-lease. Worst.Poll.Ever.

Insideop

All Pro
I know that I'm disappointed with him.

I know that if I was the opposing team's DC, I'd have them pin their ears back and put a hard lick on him as soon as possible, and he wouldn't be sh!t after that.
With Baltimore and "the tacks" up the next 2 weeks I don't think you'll have to wait long. I fully expect them to be coming "balls out" with everything they have to test our O-line and rattle Schaub. I'm sure, after looking at the Steelers game, those D-linemen (especially "Fat Albert") are licking their chops!

It's time for our O-line to "man-up" and start dishing out some punishment! I know they are "green" but it's time to get that running game (ZB system) going, or Schaub is in for another long day. JMHO!

ESAD2-14

Veteran
I think it's a little early to analyze Schaub for this season just yet.

Last year kind of sucked for him to, getting chin checked by the top of someones helmet in SD; then having 300 and something pounds of Albert squash him into the turf kind of robbed us of a clear evaluation of Schaub's first season.

Hook'er

Waterboy

.................not me, I'm ready for a real QB.

Brando

Hall of Fame

They've had one since Bud arrived, then they had Pac Man and now it's VY's turn.

I think Matt is a good starter. I don't like how in some games he gets off to slow starts though. I will give the Steelers defense a little credit in his last start. He's way better than Carr ever was.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I don't think Schaub will ever become an "elite" quarterback (ie Peyton/Brady) but I think he will be a good starting QB. I think he definitely has the potential to make it to the pro bowl, in a few years when our whole team is good. I think right now he's playing average but it could be a lot worse. I can't put Schaub as a failure... b/c after that game our whole team looks like failures.

I expect schaub to be a good starting qb and better than most in the pros, but we need better play all around to help him out.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Schaub will be an above average starter in the mold of Jake Delhomme.
I'm not basing my opinion of Schaub on what I saw Sunday alone. I've yet to see anything special about Matt Schaub.

He's got a nice arm, decent pocket presence.... But I'm not seeing that intangible.

So far, I haven't seen Matt to be a gamer..... a playmaker..... a baller.

Delhomme is a baller. You didn't see it when he was backing up Aaron Brooks... but when they made him the starter in Carolina, there was no mistaken, that he didn't plan on giving that up. He made plays..... he made things happen.

He's not super athletic, and he doesn't have an elite arm. But he has a nice enough mixture of the two, and he makes it work for him. I'm not a big Delhomme fan...... but I respect his abilities.

Matt Schaub hasn't shown me that ability to make something happen. Now our other QB has shown me that he's going to try to extend/save plays, and I like that. Sure, he's prone to forcing the ball. But he does other things as well. But that's all Matt's got AFAIC.... that's the only way he'll try to make something out of nothing.

IMHO, that's Matt's job, and he's not worried about losing it.

I don't think he should be that comfortable.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
jerky is tough too but that doesn't make a good QB either. Not being tough enough and being a bad QB are both bad problems.

I think he's somewhere between Chris Chandler and Jake Delhomme. I happen to think highly of both QBs as I do Schaub. However, I sure am hoping he's not as brittle and Chandler.

Nighthawk

Rookie
You guys are generous, seems to me. Still, won't matter. Schaub will be out for the season by game 7, probably earlier. Then we'll watch Sage prove again that ON THE WHOLE he's a better QB than Schaub. THis considering if you can't take the hits, can't stay on the field, if you're gunshy and flinch a lot, if you can't control a game, make s**t happen, extemporize, and if you lose your cool under pressure, well, you're probably not going to be a top NFL QB.