Time keeps on slipping on Kevin Walter

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by El Tejano, Nov 12, 2010.

1. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

This is what, 3 games with no receptions? I'm sorry but that's inexcusable. What's the deal with that? I know Kubiak has stated that he's largely the reason we are having so much success on the ground but KW gets paid to catch footballs and he's not getting open to catch anything.

It used to be you would see Schaub wind up and chuck it down field to a completely open Kevin Walter but that's not the case no more.

Is it time to go WR in the draft or FA? I know we got JJ but even he has been way inconsistent to depend on as a #2.

2. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

I was also really hoping/thinking that JJ could be the #2 now but clearly he's not ready.

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I dont even have words to express the surprise Im feeling right now. Our STARTING wide receiver has caught ZERO balls in three consecutive games? Wow. Wow. Thats all I can say.

Thats 100% inexcusable. And embarrassing.

He's only been targeted 5 times in the past 3 games, meaning he simply is not getting open. With JJ and AJ both coming off injuries, this is ridiculous

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Are you sure this is all on KW.......or is Schaub locking on his first receiver and failing to go through his progressions?

5. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

The Ds are probably focusing more on him with AJ not playing healthy. I don't know; I haven't watched that close.

6. VTexan

VTexan The Realist

I would love to pick up a WR in the draft.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

He got paid. :hides:

Nah, I don't think KW's that kinda guy. Never know

8. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

KW feasted on AJ drawing triple coverage. Without that threat, KW's
    simply not talented enough to consistently beat coverage on his own.

9. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

To be fair, KW has drawn a few pass interference penalties.

Still, our #2 should be worth more than that. His performance has been subpar and watching him on the field in the KC and SD game, he didn't get open very often. I will say that a lot of Kubiak's plays are designed to draw coverage into a certain area of the field to open up other areas of the field, which is why AJ is so wide open some times. Still, KW needs to be a target.

10. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think when you combine that with the success of Arian Foster, which means the amount of times thrown to KW will decrease, it kind of shows why the decline but when we pass it is obvious he's not getting open.

11. record

record Rookie

I think last season the O took a lot more advantage of what the D was giving them, which is where Walter, Anderson and check downs come in. It really feels like Schuab if forcing the ball to AJ to much this year.

I also think that since we are running the ball more and not spreading the receivers out wide as much, Walter is having a harder time getting open. Since he doesn't have a physical advantage on most DBs, he needs space to get open and that doesn't happen as easily unless spread out.

12. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

Its Jag time Usually KW has his best games agansit the Kittens

13. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

So I thinks this begs the question, do we look for another #2 in the offseason? I think so. I believe we let the talent at WR rest, and we need to get another guy that can stretch the field or be a better route runner.

14. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

We have to. JJ drops way to many balls. He is awful in the short passing game. We also desperately need a slot receiver. DA is beyond incapable of making plays in the NFL. Should have let Denver sign him for a second round pick.

15. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Yep. OD being what he is isn't helping.

Wes Welker has also been awful without Moss in NE. A superstar can make mediocre talent look good.

16. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Haha, that was never an option. It would have been Denver's 7th rounder.

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Who then might be available to replace these guys, draft or FA? It sucks because just a year ago, these guys were making plays left and right and being explosive. Anyone remember the game Jacoby had against Miami last year?

18. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

The drop off of Walter is puzzling; Jones not making a big leap this year is less so, because some players just never get there.

The improvement in the running game should not effect these two that much, and to me it appears like a chicken and egg question. Is it the QB or receivers? There has to be an offensive system component too.

It will be interesting to see if the Texans can correct this problem over the rest of the season.

19. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

I'm convinced it's Dennison. I couldn't tell you why, I just think it's an issue with his scheme and play design.

20. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

I think you have two of the answers right there..