Time for Martyball or CowherPower. We need a tough blue collar attitude

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFight, Oct 29, 2007.

1. TexansFight

TexansFight All Pro

Seriously, if I was Bob McNair I would have been on the phone immediately after yesterday's embarrassment with BOTH of these guys to see who is interested into coming in and fixing this mess. I know this, both Cowher and Marty would hold our players accountable and wastes of space like Faggins and Ron Dayne would not see the field. You think Cowher would tolerate a team that does NOTHING when their QB gets nearly decapitated on a cheap shot.

Marty has a great track record in turning around programs and fielding playoff caliber teams. Yes his teams have choked and folded in the playoffs. At this point, I WOULD love to have a team in the playoffs finally. I wax nostalgic for the R&S Oilers since that is the last time I rooted for a winning Houston NFL team.

The Texans are a cash cow. McNair needs to pony up whatever it will cost to get winners in here to turn this mess around. This is a blue collar town that craves a hard hitting, hard working team that is a winner. We have a team that plays like gutless pansies. We need to burn this thing to the ground and start from the ground up with a guy like Cowher or Marty.

2. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Kubes will be here at least another 2 seasons regardless of the result. However, it's WAY too early to start coming down on Kubiak.

3. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

impluse thread.

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I donno about that. This Texans team isn't even competitive. They have not looked like a NFL team the last 3 weeks giving up 108 points between the Jags, Chargers and Titans. This team has been outcoached and plays soft. Not a good combination.

5. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Frankly I just think we need someone like that on defense. A defensive coordinator with a take no prisoners, hit them in the mouth attitude. I think the offense will be OK

6. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Kubes gets to be the goat. Let him go to A&M and find someone better.

Garrett
    Martz
    Saunders
    Rivera
    Pees (NE D-Coordinator)

All would be a good fit

7. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

No matter how much money McNair has, who wants to come to Houston?

If you are a respected coach, you want to go to a great situation. Houston situation is uh, not the bestest.

We have a greater likelihood to be able to get quality assistants than head coaches. McNair is not afraid to pay assistants.

8. TexansFight

TexansFight All Pro

Marty and Cowher are available right now. Both would be a serious upgrade in coaching. Kubiak is not head coaching material. I think he knew that himself and that is why he never went after a HC gig while married to the hip with Shanahan. From everything that I read, Shanahan was the brains behind the Denver offense and still had tremendous amount of control over offensive playcalling.

Kubiak's coaching has been awful. The team is unprepared, the schemes suck, and there is no fire. Repeat with me BURN THIS MOTHERF&$&* DOWN. Start from scratch. I can't take Capers-Kubiak coaching and teams anymore.

9. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Yeah I would think that Cowher and Marty would like to go to situations with a established team. We are more likely to get coaches who are still trying to prove themselves, not a superbowl champion like Cowher unless he feels has plenty of years left in him to help build the team.

10. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

I was hoping Cowher would get the Giants job (the rumor is he was too), however unless they follow the pattern of the last couple of seasons and fall apart in the second half of the season I don't see Coughlin getting axed.

You can have Marty, I went through enough build up followed by playoff chokes with the Oilers.

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

One certain thing about Marty was that his teams were always tough to play, inspired, and most of all...winners. Dude has the same knock that lots of great coaches had not being able to win the big one...but that's better than not being able to build a winning franchise.

12. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

We oughtta get a blue-collar defensive mind like that guy in Miami. Word has it that he's one of the best Defensive Coordinators around. :joker:

13. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I would rather be heartbroken in January than bitter by the end of October, year after year, after year, after year, after year, after year......(if anyone's counting that's 6 seasons. :gun: )

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

As a long-suffereing Texans fan, I would welcome the problem of having a coach who can't win in the playoffs, though has little trouble getting his teams into the palyoffs.
    And in particular, I'm a big fan of Marty-Ball.

15. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

knee jerk reaction.

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

If Kubiak ends with less than 6 wins, you might see McNair have a knee jerk reaction.

17. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

After 6 years of watching this team, I'm developing parkinson's

18. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Cohwer would be my first choice because I think this team is soft. You can't be soft and last on a Cohwer team. Marty would be choice 2. The question is does one of them have so much of an ego that he wants to be the one to be seen as the savior, to show the world how great of a coach he is? Otherwise, they will end up with much better, ready to contend right away teams.

I'm not ready to bail on Kubes at this point UNLESS one of these two is available. Otherwise, he gets at least one more yr from me....of course pending the rest of the season as a caveat. This team needs to show a pulse, and soon.

19. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

There probably is very little chance of ever getting a big name coach here and for two reasons:

1. As everyone has said earlier, team is too much in disarray and would require too much work and effort.

2. Bob McNair puts too many requirements on coaches so they can't do their job effectively. A good coach is not going to be told what to do when it comes to winning. One good example, the Carr extension.

The biggest problem the Texans have when it comes to winning is Bob McNair. You can't run an NFL football team by selecting coaches and players according to white-collar corporate standards.

20. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I want Richard Smith gone. He has shown nothing. He has no track record. His defense is rated like crap with both offense and defense. And he comes across as a out of touch buffoon.

I see at least some life on the offensive side of the ball, even if it is put together like some sort of McGuyver thingy of duct tape, chewing gum, and random practice squad players.

The team likes Kubiak generally. I can't say the same thing about Smith.