Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Time for a players only meeting

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Wasn't this all Barwin's handiwork?
Barwin and Cody...........but all the big boys touted their adoration for the idea.

BULL-SHIRTS DELIVERS HOUSTON TEXANS LETTERMAN JACKET SENSATION

When Houston Texans Shaun Cody and Connor Barwin decided that custom letterman jackets would be a great way to demonstrate team unity, they had plenty of vendor choices. When they needed 70 jackets done by the Monday Night Football contest against New England just a few short weeks away, the team's Equipment Director Jay Brunetti knew there was only one choice for the speed and quality they needed.
Defensive End J.J. Watt , a leader in the race for NFL defensive player of the year, loved the jackets and what they stand for. “I think this is really cool. I think it shows a lot about our team and the chemistry that we have, and the guys in this locker room really care about each other and I think these jackets are a great way to signify that. We’re really proud to have ‘em, and we’re excited to wear ‘em,” Watt said.

Quarterback Matt Schaub liked the message the jackets put forward. I think they’re awesome. I think it’s a really good idea that Connor and Shaun came up with as far as camaraderie amongst the guys and feeling a brotherhood," he said.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
What bothers me is that both the letterman jackets and this particular meeting seem to have been more for "show." Too much attention to interviews and statements by the players for "public consumption." In my opinion, if this were done solely for the benefit of the players, all of this could and should have been done and kept behind closed doors.

GoCoogs

Waterboy
Ever since they donned those Letterman jackets this team hasn't been the same. Those jackets deserved burning more than Schaub's jersey.

waynegg

Waterboy
We called those "blanket parties"! ;)
Nah. A blanket party is where you throw one of those lousy State wool blankets over someone, tie it at their ankles and beat them unconscious with whatever you got.

The soap in a sock deal is a dry shower

And Limp Biscuit ain't a band... I would expect Schaub to purposely lose that one too...

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I have my serious doubts that most of the team truly remains confident in Schaub. When you are truly confident in someone, you don't usually have to scream it from the tallest tower.

Tailgate

Fall of Hame
What bothers me is that both the letterman jackets and this particular meeting seem to have been more for "show." Too much attention to interviews and statements by the players for "public consumption." In my opinion, if this were done solely for the benefit of the players, all of this could and should have been done and kept behind closed doors.
So you believe that the meeting was put together as a show for the media and/or fans? So what was said in the meeting?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
So you believe that the meeting was put together as a show for the media and/or fans? So what was said in the meeting?
It doesn't matter. I can tell you from personal knowledge that "special players' meetings" called because of perceived problems are not unusual........and the public never knows about them. It is obvious that the way this meeting was handled, it was very important to the organization that the message was delivered to the public that "we recognize something is wrong and we are addressing our problems."

Tailgate

Fall of Hame
It doesn't matter. I can tell you from personal knowledge that "special players' meetings" called because of perceived problems are not unusual........and the public never knows about them. It is obvious that the way this meeting was handled, it was very important to the organization that the message was delivered to the public that "we recognize something is wrong and we are addressing our problems."
I guess? Or maybe it wasn't handled in anyway, nor did anyone care how it "appeared" or if anyone cared to keep it a "secret" or not. You just don't know. Nor do you know what was said in the meeting.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I guess? Or maybe it wasn't handled in anyway, nor did anyone care how it "appeared" or if anyone cared to keep it a "secret" or not. You just don't know. Nor do you know what was said in the meeting.
Again, I don't think we need to know the specifics. From the comments below, you get a good enough gist of why the meeting was called and what might have been covered.

Just one day after the Texans 23-20 overtime loss to Seattle, Arian Foster called a players-only meeting to regroup. Tight ends Owen Daniels and Garrett Graham shared their thoughts on Tuesday’s Verizon Players radio show.

“It was good,” Graham said. “It was good to get some things out in the open there and kind of get everybody on the same page. We had a few guys talk. I think Arian called the meeting up and people said what needed to be said. It was good to all get on the same page, just know that we are all going forward as a team and just looking forward to playing San Francisco and all getting on the same mindset.”

Daniels, who did not give the specifics of what was said behind closed doors, said the purpose of the meeting was to help everyone gain perspective from the previous losses and learn from them.

“Nothing earth-shattering, really,” Daniels said of what was discussed. “It was basically just the leaders stepping up and putting their two cents in, in what they are seeing and what is going on. No one’s freaking out. No one’s panicking. We’ve got our poise. We just want to make sure that we are all doing things the right way and trying to get better and not have this be a loss that affects us as the year goes along.”
link

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I do worry that some of the locker room leaders on this team tend to get ahead of themselves and chase publicity at inoppertune moments.

You look at the letterman jackets quotes above and you think, this team decided amongst themselves to make a show of their success before they'd actually achieved anything real, #1 power ranking was the celebration wasn't it that time??

This time, a behind closed doors players only meeting spread all over the back pages for what reason? To proclaim to the media that they had sorted the problem amongs themselves. Except then they go and make the same mistakes all over again.

Win a championship before you buy the t-shirt, hold your secret meeting in secret and actually get your **** sorted before making a big show about how you've got it sorted if you haven't.