Tim Tebow

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by gary, Aug 16, 2010.

1. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Did anyone see him play last night? He played four series going eight for thirteen with one rushing touchdown. Also, just one sack. Not jaw dropping of course but he looked cozey for the most part and made some on target throws. He looked like he seemes to be picking up the play book nicely. Overall I'd give a B - with room to improve but that is the case with all rookies in sports. What are your thoughts on Tim Tebow? It might be too early to tell at this point he might get better or he might only time will tell.

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

I saw some of it, and I was very impressed. Considering it was his rookie debut in the NFL, I would give Tebow's performance an A-. He was playing with the Bronco's third and fourth team guys around him.

It should be noted that Tebow scored almost single-handedly on the last play of the game by steam-rolling two guys at the goal line in an open field run. In fact, this was probably the most exciting play I have seen in preseason so far.

He played a lot better than Brady Quinn, that is for sure. In fact, here is a blog entry at ESPN advocating that Tebow be promoted ahead of Quinn immediately based on this showing:

Personally, I agree. I never thought Brady Quinn was all that anyway. If he had not played at Notre Dame, he would never have received the accolades that he did. On the other hand, Tim Tebow looks like a budding star in this league.

3. gary

gary Hall of Fame

How would he have done with the first team?

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

It is not likely to happen this season, unless Kyle Orton goes down. But it is probably just a matter of time before Tebow takes the job over and we get to find out.

5. gary

gary Hall of Fame

He'll get his next chance to prove his own against the Lions this week.

6. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

It seemed like nearly all of his yards came on dump offs against a third string defense so I wouldn't get overly excited yet.

But he did make nice back to back throws down the right sideline to move Denver up the field as time was running down. And his TD was money. Took it down and just trucked the CB on his way into the endzone.

I'm admittedly not one of the guys who thinks that Tebow's best position in the NFL is QB, but I definitely saw some things he can build on. I would promote him over Quinn and he how he does against the twos.

7. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I did see a deep pass which was completed but I don't remember the exact play though I say at least give more time. Another one was on target but dropped down the field.

8. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

His throwing style looks a bit slower but he is able to put a nice spin on the ball and hit his intended target. Not bad for his first NFL game as I think using him in a shotgun formation and maybe doing some option plays would make the Broncos O very unique and versatile.

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

There were some deep passes I recall which were dropped by the WR.

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I didn't see much of Tebow in college, so watching him last night I gotta say my impression was very positive. Actually I did see him earlier this year in the Senior Bowl and his progress in just the 6 months or so since then is remarkable. The guy is fun to watch, definitely talented, and obviously a tremendous competitor.

11. gary

gary Hall of Fame

The one postive is he has room to grow where on the other hand Kyle has pretty much reached his peek not that it's bad or anything JMO.

12. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

He threw deep twice. One was right on target and the WR just flatout dropped it. The other was overthrown by five yards and hit the CB right in the hands, but he dropped the INT.

13. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Gary, just curious, you're obviously a Tebow fan ? Would you have liked the Texans to have taken a run at Tebow ? Schaub is now an established, successful NFL starter here in Houston but he will be 30 next year and maybe grooming a successor for the future would be something to consider ?

14. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Ok, still alright for his very first game I don't have the NFLN so only saw the highlights not the game.

15. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I would not call me a fan of his just stiring up some chatter. As for drafting him no, in the first round the Texans had bigger holes to fill this year but maybe I'd take a QB in year or two just to prepare JMO.

16. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

It was defininetly alright for his first game. Better than I expected him to play for sure.

I think he earned the #2 job for next week. See if he can play the same against second stringers instead of third stringers.

17. gary

gary Hall of Fame

We shall see he may not ever take the big step. Who knows? It's very early on.

18. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

From what i heard about it this morning on 610, that "wind up" throwing motion is still looking mighty slow...not good for an nfl qb

19. gary

gary Hall of Fame

He should probably be second leaving Brady third or cut but more than likely third.

20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

It's still pretty slow...

It got him into big trouble once. As he was windmilling through his motion he got hit and fumbled. The defense recovered and ran it back for a TD. The play was reviewed and the fumble was ruled an incomplete pass (correct call). But still, it definitely showed why scouts wanted him to change the motion. A great majority of QBs in the NFL would have already had the ball away by the time the hit came.