Tight end?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanSam, Feb 15, 2006.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't know what (if any) tight ends will be available in free agency, so what do you guys think the Texans should do? I believe we should draft one of the top 3 or 4 tight ends with our 2nd round pick. Marcellus Rivers didn't really show me much. Maybe he'd be a good back up, but I don't think he's a starter.

2. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

I would not use a second round pick on a TE, because there are enough in this draft to get one in the top of the third. In FA I would look at FAs Teyo Johnson and Chris Baker. Those two guys are young and athletic and if we part with Bruener, Murphy, and Rivers one of them plus Joppru and a draft pick is pretty solid. Plus Denver may release Wesley Duke.

3. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

I beleive this is one neccesity that we really need. I think this holds us back from doing alot. A tight end could really open up some options for carr and also act as another blocker which we need. I think we can go 2nd rd and pull a O-line player and then 3rd rd go after either...Davis TE Maryland or Pope TE Georgia....That is if they get pushed back that far. I doubt it..They may go first or 2nd rd. but IF.

4. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Pope, Davis, and Lewis will all likely be gone in the 1st round. If we don't trade down and acquire extra 2nd round pick(s) I don't want to take a TE that high. If we have two or more 2nds then I'm ok with us getting a TE in the 2nd round as long as he's a good value there and we're not reaching for one. I think getting T.J. Williams in the 3rd would be a great addition though.

5. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

TJ williams would be a nice pick up. I also like Day though from Oregon but he will probably go 2nd rd.

6. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    I'm not sure if we should use one in the 2nd round. I suppose it all depends on how Joppru works out. If he can stay fit he could be the franchise TE we thought when we drafted the guy. (I cant remember what round but I thought it was fairly high).

We do need that TE but maybe there are pressing needs.

7. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

Joppru was a 2nd round pick

IMO Joppru and Hollings both should be gone this year - Charlie has had a horrible second round thus far with the Texans. 4 years of drafting and only 1 starter on the current roster.

2nd rnd picks

1st year - Gaffney
    2nd Year - Joppru & Hollings
    3rd year - Traded w/Tenn
    4th Year - Traded for Pbuc
    5th year - ???

8. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I guess you don't consider Chester Pitts (2002) a starter?

9. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Williams is too inconsistent, but Day has my vote for most underrated TE in the draft. Either him or Anthony Fasano in the 3rd.

10. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

how about joe klopfenstein from colorado in the 3rd round...i don't see us using a 1st or 2nd round on a TE...but a 3rd or a 4th rounder isn't out of the question...funny thing is we could wait til the 4th rounder on a guy and he'll probably come out OTA's as the starter...tells you how bad our current TE's are

11. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

He's more of a game ender.

12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think everyone knows my take on the TE position.

13. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

I'd take Vernon Davis with a mid-1st (assuming trade obviously)
    I'd take Leonard Pope with #33.
    I'd take Marcedes Lewis with a late-2nd.
    I'd take Dominique Byrd, Joel Klopfstein or Tony Fasano with #65/#66

14. Xman

Xman Veteran

Ditto

And, I will add that the TE position really needs to be addressed if we want to find out if Carr can cut it.

15. kingdee09

kingdee09 Rookie

For the FA's i would try to pick up Billy Miller once more, he was very effective playing for us and he's def. an offensive threat.

For the Texans Second Pick i would go for David Thomas. He's not a Very big TE standing at 6'3" but hes def. a great choice of TE in the draft.

16. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Personally, I think a lot of our TE woes have been less personnel issues and more due to:

1. The protection schemes we have been running on offense.
    2. The desire to get the ball to AJ/DD. If DD is used a lot as your safety valve, and AJ is getting a lot of the dink passes attempting to get YAC, you are not going to have fat TE stats, no matter who you have playing at TE.

Rivers showed some promise near the end of the season, I thought.

Under the new system and with Brian Pariani as coach, the TE position will have a greater priority, it won't be so much of an afterthought position. If they think that the current TEs can't work out, they will get somebody new to fill the spot. I do think just the change of scheme will make the TE position look better.

So much of last year was focused on trying to get AJ the ball more (oops-dint help when he got hurt) and protecting David Carr that they whiffed on the overall offense working together--getting a non-predictable offense that can get the ball down the field and makes sense.

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Go TE in FA. Carr will be much better just from Kubiak being aboard and we still do not know about Joppru or what we can get in FA for a value. OL and Defense is where the draft should be focused on solely. TE can be a focus in the draft the following year in my opinion.

18. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

I'd go with Dominique Byrd in the 3rd round.

19. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

I think a lot will depend on if the Texans can trade down in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd. They might look to do so then, but I would think maybe looking at Fasano in the 3rd could be an idea. With the other needs this season I'd rather see them try and upgrade during FA and hopefully get to see what Joppru can do. I thought Rivers showed a little at the end of the year.

20. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

AMEN! david thomas could easily become david carr's new best friend!