Tight End Situation

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by joshri, Jun 14, 2006.

1. joshri

joshri Rookie

I know that Bennie Joppru has a serious injury risk problem but he seems to be 100% so far this offseason and is working hard supposedly. He also seems to have loads of potential and management has shown that they want to give him a shot.

We also have Jeb Putzier, Owen Daniels, Mark Bruener and Patrick Hape.

Putzier and Daniels would seem locks to make the team, how does the rest play out?

2. baba ganoush

baba ganoush Veteran

i would think they would split the starts between bruener and putzier...daniels and joppru would fight to see playing time and hape i believe would be a goal line fullback/tight end

3. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

IMO Putzier and Bruener are the two who I think will be locks. I still think we might keep Daniels and Joppru around in case Joppru gets injured again and because of Bruener's age I don't think he'll play but maybe another season or two so all 4 may be with us this season.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

FYI--starts are determined by who is on the field for the 1st play. Many teams, including the Texans last year, have more TE starts than 16, i.e. they started the games in 2 TE formations. Starter is almost an immaterial term for TE's at this point.

5. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Daniels is probably headed towards the practice squad based upon what has been said. Right now, I think it is Putzier, Bruener, and BJ. Kubiak has said good things about all 3.

6. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Kubiak likes Bruener's experience and leadership, but wants him to stretch the field and catch the ball. Those are the question marks? I really think it is Putzier, BJ, and Breuner in that order at the present time.

7. joshri

joshri Rookie

It is strange to me that the Texans would draft a guy in the 4th round (Daniels) and put him on the practice squad. I thought they should have gone another route with that pick. Like D.

As long as they give Joppru a shot, I'll be cool with whatever though.

8. infantrycak

4th round draft picks don't go to the practice squad--they'd get snatched off in an instant with no compensation.

9. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Well that may be the case. I'm just saying Daniels is probably the 4th in the race unless he does something at another position.

10. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

I think Kubiak and company were thinking that BJ was not probably going to come around and I think he has been a pleasant surprise. That has put Daniels who was deemed a project on the cusp I believe. Its going to be a tough cut this year and we are not going to be able to keep everyone we would like to. We may have wasted a draft pick on Daniels as it turns out. It was a resonable decision, but it might turn out to be a wrong one.

11. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

I can think of two reason why Texans draft Daniels.
    I think at the time of draft, Texans' FO wasn't sure how well BJ would be at mini camp. He's been injured for last three years and not much information(films) on BJ to evaluate.
    Broncos always took time to develop TE. Kubiak must saw Daniels as our future starter at the time of draft and still could be our starter in a few years from now.

This is the way I see it

12. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

Someone can always be sent to the practice squad and if another team claims them, the orignal team can then make room for them on the roster. Just because someone is from a certain round does not mean that they will automaticly get snatched up, ie Clarett

The big question I have is assuming 4 TEs make the roster, will 3 of the 4 be the recieving type that can not block a barbie doll? That I why I say Daniels is on the practice squad and the door is open for Hape or Halterman (1st team NFL Europe)

13. infantrycak

There is no first option for practice squad players. In other team can sign anyone on any practice squad with the only restriction being they have to put them on the active roster for at least 3 games. The original team has no right to put them on the active squad to avoid the departure once a deal is done. I am sure informally word gets out sometimes and teams can preempt, but there is nothing they can do once a deal is negotiated. Clarett is a horrible example--99% of the world thought Denver was insane to take him in the 3rd and they were right. The 1st pick of the 2nd day would get snatched.

14. real

real Guest

No way is Daniels going to the practice sqad guys...calm down...we will have 4 TE's on the roster come opening day...Daniel's IMO, is a pretty good TE...Anybody see him play in college ?

15. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

I think........
    Bennie Joppuru-Stay healthy/ He got through OTAs with no injuries!
    Jeb Putzier-LOCK
    Mark Bruener-Maybe Cut/Maybe if they really like Owen Daniels
    Owen Daniels-Maybe practice squad-But I think he is too good to be on that.

16. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

If Bruener would just get cut it would make things a lot easier :)

17. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

He is our best blocking TE though...

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Because Kubiak has a wide use of schemes that employ the TE and double TE,
    he will very likely retain 4 TEs on the regular season roster which
    will most likely be Putzier, Breuner, BJ, and Daniels.
    And yes the Daniels pick was a bit of a puzzle, given that most people felt
    we'd take a DB with that pick.

19. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

Only Bruner can block, I see that as a problem. We have three girly men who just want to catch instead of laying down the thunder.

I don't know which one scares me more the not so MAD rb trio (Morrency, ASmith, DD) or the very lame JOB te trio (JPutz, ODaniels, BJoppru)

20. BamaTexan

BamaTexan Rookie

Hape can crack helmets like Bruener. He isn't on the squad to stretch the field...