Thunder

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by RagingBull, Dec 8, 2008.

1. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

Am I the only one that wishes Kubes would make Vonta Leach the tailback in short yardage situations? That guy flat runs over people everytime he gets a pass; what makes them think he couldn't do the same if they hand him the ball?

2. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

I was just thinking that maybe Leach could be the thunder we are looking for to pair up with Slaton's lightning. It would be an interesting thing to try for the Tacks game.

3. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Would be a good idea, but how are his hands? I have noticed a couple of occasions when he's gotten the ball, he's dropped it. Maybe that's it?

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Lance Zierlein talked about this idea on one his blogs and why it wouldn't work (I think that's what he said anyway). I'll see if I can find it.

5. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

No, you aren't the only one who wishes this.

I called in last week to 610, on Tuesday, and asked Eric Winston the same question. Winston also agreed that he'd like to see Leach get some touches in short yardage, particularly around the goal line.

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

sounds like a plan...
    ...who will be his lead blocker? Dreessen?

And this would be a perfect sucker play too. Dreessen and Leach in the "I"... Schaub fakes it to Leach, rolls out, and tosses it to a wide open Bruener. I'd say OD but everyone knows to watch him.

7. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

Isn't the Kubiak show on Mondays? Maybe I'll call in and pose the question to him.

8. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yeah, it doesnt make alot of sense to take your best lead blocker out of his element on a short yardage play. He needs to pave the way for the play, not run it.

9. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

His hands are good enough that they haven't given up throwing him the ball. *shrug*

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Exactly. I had posted this on another thread prior to game. Most of our TEs are big enough and good enough blocking skills to lead the way, especially in red zone. I'd rather see 250+lbs carrying the rock in that situation than Super Slick.

11. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

The Coke Machine scoffs at needing a lead blocker. He'll lead block himself right into the end zone and then proceed to kill some grass with that cannon of a left arm he has on a spike.

12. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I think one of the biggest fallacies in football is that a short yardage back has to be a big 230+lbs.

All you have to be able to do is hit the hole hard and push the pile. Some of the most effective goal line RB in the history of the league have been smaller guys. Priest Holmes, for example, was a slight 5'9" 213lbs.

Hervoyel likes this.
  13. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

That sounds like a good idea about Leach for now but what about trading for Marion Barber. I know...call me Mr.Crazy Trade Idea Guy if you want..but it looks like Jerry is happy with Felix Jones and Tashard Choice and questions Barber's toughness after Barber didn't want to play injured.....

pft

Just a thought and what would it take to get Barber?...I don't like the Cowboys but I respect Barber and love his tough running style.

Oh by the way...Jerry Jones is an idi0t.....

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yup--look at the list of guys who have set the single season records--Payton, Emmitt, LT, Holmes.

15. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

You rarely see fullbacks carrying the ball from the fullback position. I've always thought is a good play to run to catch the defense off balance.

16. superdave532

superdave532 Rookie

I actually really like that idea. Barber is a hell of a running back, and I can see him doing very well next to Slaton. Imagine the Barberian and Stevie Wonder splitting carries.... Or having both of them in a split back formation of some kind... It'd be nice to have 2 1,000 yard rushers to go along with our pair of 1,000 yard receivers next year, don't you think?

That being said Jerry's going to ask for way too much so it won't happen, just saying I'd be in favor of considering it.

17. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

I'm going with Turk as my choice for Short Yardage. Look at that 18 yarder he broke off yesterday!!!!!!

18. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

SHORT YARDAGE ONLY:

I would keep Vonta at fullback and put OD in as the runner. Despite his fumble yesterday he always gets yards after first contact. that would provide the punch you need to get 3 + yardsw and into the endzone.

19. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

Teams ignore him on passing plays. The Packers learned what happens when you do that and he actually catches the ball.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Y'all can add Marion Barber to the list of crap that isn't going to happen. He is in the first year of a contract which had a $12 mil signing bonus--he isn't going anywhere unless Jerry wants to carry $10 mil in dead money.