Three tackles

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Oct 19, 2010.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

We've seen this twice already.

The Giants & the Chiefs brought in an extra Offensive tackle to manhandle our DL.

What can we do to counter this?

2. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Get a ball-hawking FS. :)

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Honestly, IDK why we can't just put an extra DT in there. I would say an extra LB (maybe), but...

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Trade for Haynesworth

LOL

5. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

What about the prospect of bringing in a 3'4 alignment? I know we're a little down with injuries but disguising that 4th rusher might dissuade someone from doing it. I mean now you've got 3 tackles with the line stacked on one side while it frees us up to rush from the other side. Maybe its not a great idea but a speed rusher or a LB coming from 3 or 4 or 5 yards back might give a swing/backup tackle a bit more trouble.

The other idea I had was to put smith in at DT with Mario and anderson on the ends. Heck put smith and mario in at DT with anderson and ongunglye (sp i know) on the ends.

I wouldn't do it every down... but you mario and smith should easily occupy 3 blockers on the line... imagine a LB knifing in behind those two. At that point you've got 5 rushing 6 with presumably an advantage in speed. On the ends. The reason I like the second package (and honestly if Okoye wants to "rush the passer" from the DE position i'm ok with that too. I wouldn't do it in 3rd and short or anything put 3rd and long if they bring in an extra TE.

They are off the wall.. but I think you tell the other team "ok if you want to double team mario AND basically concede that you'll keep an extra lineman in we'll bring a little more speed on the defense and hide where our last pass rusher is coming from.

I really like the idea of mario dropping back into the flat and rushing a CB. T's hate blocking CBs... but you have to be willing to take the chance. If the CB gets there quick enough you could really discourage that kind of play.

Mike

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Stop the offense? That is what happened when we had Butler cover up Brown in goal line situations against the Colts.

7. 281

281 Hall of Fame

the trade deadline has come and gone. funny though, i remember a time when i actually wanted haynesworth on this team. haha.

8. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Figure out whichever side they are overloading with blockers and overload the other side with blitzers. Sigh....maybe I'm just too simplistic....maybe I just don't know a damn thing about football....maybe the answer just isn't that complicated.

9. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

i would agree with this, except we have the worst blitzing lb'ers in the modern era of football.

10. Texanmike02

We're going to work on that. We're going to get better from within the organization. We feel good about our team and our position.

Mike

11. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Some kind of crazy voodoo where they put the spirit of dead pass rushers into our existing LB'ers?

12. Texanmike02

No. We're just going to fix things in house. Its that simple these guys have to get better. Its on the coach. Its not easy to win in this league. Any given sunday. Fool me once shame on me fool me again and well you can't fool me again.

Mike

13. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

No idea why they would do such a thing.

/sarcasm

Dude, that's brilliant. You should coach in the NFL.

;)

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Add a DT and or LB .... at the expense of a safety (maybe even both of them). On the goal line , not a big deal since there isnt much space to cover to begin with.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Or go with 4 DE's like the Giants sometimes do.

16. Texanmike02

Its not just me. Its the guys around me. 281 does a great job. JB helps out... Joe Texan has input. SWT from NSZ is crucial to it. Its really a team effort. MoJo and Toro are getting better... they're coming along nicely. I like the young group of guys... Steph she's an allstar and Eriadoc is bringing his A game.

People are down on Second Honeymoon and Dan... but She-Texan's got to fill the gaps. It reminds me of when I was a backup sysop on a board back in 1987. It was on me then and its on me now. Now I'm trying to get these guys ready to post-- you know.. you want them to bring energy. RazorEye is just getting back into the mix... after being out for a whle...he's not posting well but he's trying hard... can't complain about his effort... just gotta get better. Its on me

Its nice when it all comes together.. team effort... any given post you know. All we ask is the people contribute.

Mike

17. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

This post just made my day. Hell, it might have made my entire week.

18. Texanmike02

Just trying to get better. Anything to help you out.

Mikiak

ok, i'll stop.. its kind of addicting though.

19. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Move Rackers to the D, he had 3 tackles against KC!:d:

20. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Yes he did Sandy, but Gary worries about him so... :D