Thoughts

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by pappy, Aug 17, 2008.

1. pappy

pappy Veteran

The defense is still a work in progress but they improved this week . While we looked better in the flats and up front the defensive backs were beaten . Slaton is the real deal and is far and away a starter at running back while the others need to show me more . We should all be aware that both of the teams we have played are possibly playoff teams this year and played well with very few mistakes . While we are watching this team play nearly penalty free games with very few injuries and some improvement every week the other teams in our division are struggling . They all are having significant injury problems and just not playing with any consistency .

2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

But why are they still a work in progress? This is their third year in Richard Smith's "system" isn't it? Buddy Ryan took Jim Eddy's defense and had them playing like the 1985 Chicago Bears in less than half a season but Richard Smith needs 3 years to implement his system?

I'm sorry but I call B.S. on Smith as a DC. He's maybe our one coach who I think really needs to get demoted or go out the door. The truly annoying thing about it is that he's got 2-3 guys technically working under him who would be upgrades over him at the DC spot.

3. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

As the defense goes, our starting front four is shutting down the run and getting some pressure on the QB. This Dline is looking dominant. Our LB's are still suspect, namely Morlon Greenwood. He keeps playing out of position and lets his man get open for big plays. Is Xavier even playing? Our secondary isnt all that bad, and I like what Reeves brings to the table. We are missing DRob and until he gets healthy we are going to give up some yards through the air. And of course, Demps is the man.

I am not ready to proclaim Slaton as the real deal yet. He definitely earned an opportunity to play with the 1's. I would like to see what he can do against the starting front 7 of the Cowboys. Slaton is an upgraded faster DD. Watch his legs when he gets hit, they never stop. Has he even been brought down on first contact yet?

I said this to my friend last night, we are a pass first offense. We are no where near the same type of system they ran in Denver. This is what the west coast O looks like and Schaub is doing a terrific job running it. I even compared us to the 49ers of the eighties. A little premature I know, but look what we are doing without AJ in the line up?

Our Oline, solid. Its preseason and not many people are blitzing, but they are doing a heck of a job pass protecting, run blocking needs improvement.

I love Alex Gibbs. Last night the camera zoomed in on a rather heated Gibbs talking passionately to Kubiak, and every time Kubiak tried to walk away Gibbs cut off the escape rout. It was awsome. I hope I am that spunky when I get older.

I want Jones to succeed very much badly, but sadly I don't think its gong to happen. If he were a 7th round pick he would have been cut by now.

4. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Unfortunately, I think you may be right. However, I don't think we can grade him on the preseason. We won't know for sure until October. I'm holding out a fool's hope that the defense will play up to potential.

5. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

I agree. At the same time you were posting this, I posted the same thought on another thread. In this scheme, Slaton could carry the load as the #1 back.

6. Chicagotexan1

Chicagotexan1 Hall of Fame

In a van down by the river next to another van dow
    We lost power for the entire 2nd quater. RELAINT SUX DONKEY B***S. Those are my thoughts.

7. jb66er

jb66er Rookie

Good post Red, I was impressed with Bennett last night as well, I cant wait for him and DRob in the secondary together, but I don't think Reeves makes the cut.

Jacoby had a rough game, but with his speed and what we've invested in him, I don't think he has to worry too much about his job, especially after losing Mathis.

I'm really liking Slaton over Taylor and Walker, he will likely go to the PS until Brown and/or Green gets hurt (its only a matter of time)

I think I was most impressed by Schaub's accuracy and decision making, he looked like a true team leader in control.

8. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

My very first look at Moulton and I was impressed with him physically: tall with very long arms and excellent speed, physique wise & athletically he's not that much unlike Bennent which is good. I know he got beat, but it was his first NFL game action so he's getting an opportunity to learn and build confidance.

9. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

Bring on the Cowboys!
    :fans:

10. GP

GP Go Texans!

Richard is consistent: His defense plays conservative, safe, and takes no risks with the blitz for the first 12 games...and then, he turns them loose for the final four games of the year--Saving his job every time.

How is it that us fans can see this, that it's CONSISTENT, and yet Smithiak doesn't? (Sigh).

We have a weakest link, and it's not any of our players.

Does Richard Smith have some dirt on Smithiak? All I can figure is that there's some extortion going on here.

11. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

We are just giving the DLine time to Gel. And its not Smith's fault that DRob is out for the year.......

Richard Smith, you are the weakest link, Goodbye.

12. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

One thing I've noticed is. When we blitz, its easy to tell we're going to blitz, Our guys jump, creep, and send all types of messages of "HEY!! I'm coming to get youz!!" I have yet to see someone who looks like they're getting ready to blitz ... not blitz, nor have I seen someone blitz who I didn't think was about to blitz.

13. stiff

stiff Rookie

If we are going to pass to set up the run Slaton could very well be the answer. If he keeps improving I beleive he will be on the squad come opening weekend. I do not think that the Texans will be able to stash him on the PS without someone picking him up.

Slaton looked pretty good in pass protection I believe it was the 3rd down completion to DA that he looked really good.

At this point I could see either Green or Brown getting cut if they cannot pick up the pace.

I like how all of our QBs can step in and make plays. Even Brink looked serviceable on the goal line passing out of trouble in the 4th Quarter.

JJ was electric last year but in 2 pre-season games he has had 3 fumbles. It doesnt matter how electric you are back there if you cannot hang on to the ball your career will not be long in the NFL. If they do not keep 6 WRs JJ may be the one to go. That would allow the Texans to carry an extra RB.

14. GP

GP Go Texans!

Haven't seen the game yet, so I can't really dispute what you're saying.

However....after reading through the posts of other people here, what you're reporting isn't exactly matching up with what others have observed.

I've been reading that we DIDN'T get pressure on the QB, and that Reeves was consistently picked on (giving up too much ground, and not playing well).

I am excited to watch the replay on Monday and to try and see things for the first time, but with an eye toward trying to see some of the things that all of ya'll are noting in these threads.

15. Revolution

Revolution All Pro

What I do not understand is that people never learn about preseason. We not only run vanilla offense and defense, sometimes we do things on purpose. Badly disguised blitzes being one of them. I've seen it plenty over the years...

16. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I understand that, believe me, I've been making its preseason folks posts for a few days now.

But I saw this with the blitzes last year too. We'll see what happens vs. Pitt

17. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Jim Eddy's '92 defense was top 10 in the NFL against the run and in points allowed; and top 5 in total yards allowed. It's not like Ryan was forced to make chicken salad out of chicken shit - despite what happened in Eddy's last game.

Richard Smith clearly inherited chicken shit, but that said, two years of free passes are enough.

18. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Even before preseason started, there was no way that Slaton didn't make the opening day roster. There was a slight question about whether he was going to be activated for duty or not but that's about it. Third and Fourth round draft choices don't make it to the PS. As soon as they're waived, someone picks them up.

But I want to see him with our 1's before we give him the starting spot. Although, frankly, I can't imagine he's going to be much worse than what we've seen so far from Green/Brown/Taylor.

19. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

20. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

His name is spelled Molden.