Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nunusguy, Sep 30, 2007.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I think its a fair question, and not because he's a 20-year-old rookie, but because he's playing on the inside of the DLine as DTs do in the 4-3 and not on the edge where DEs do who are usually a teams sack leaders.
    Is it just too early in the season to reach conclusions, or maybe he's just that good, maybe more than even his biggest supporters expected ?
    Or maybe he's benefiting more from playing next to Mario than Mario is from playing next to him ?
    Or maybe Mario and strongside DE Weaver just aren't contibuting as much as we'd expect them to ?

2. real

real Guest

Said it a long time ago and I'll say it again. Amobi is our best pass rusher.

3. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

He is in a good spot. We have a very good Dline, and there is just too many people to block. Add Okoye's athletism, and there's your answer.

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Probably cause our ends aren't good pass rushers and Okoye has a good motor and doesn't give up on plays...many inside sacks come from persistence. He's living up to his billing...Mario isn't.

5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

I think they all feed off each other. I don't care who gets the sack as long as they get it. I just want the DL to work as a team and so far they've done the job.

I don't care about stats, I want to see results and the DL's been stuffing the run so I'm happy. I would like to see TJ in the back field more but I do see MW playing with intensity which I think is what's helping Amobi get some sacks. Kid's putting up monster numbers for a DT though. I can't imagine what he'll do in 5 or so years, he'll be a monster.

6. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

A little bit of everything. I don't think many people expected for Amobi to do as well as he has done thus far. Clearly having Mario on your team is giving him a little help. However, he has looked great so far and is already at 4 sacks, which is wonderful to see. Go Amobi!

7. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

i would think it helps that he plays next to mario, mario drew double teams last year and we had no one on the inside to capitolize, great d-lines play off each other, sacks are overrated anyways, it's all about qb pressures, would you rather have your d-line post 1 sack in a game or have 8 qb pressures as a group?

8. Spled

Spled All Pro

Mario and others chase the quarterback from the outside and Okoye times them on the inside.

9. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

At least two of Okoye's sacks have come from the QB stepping up into the pocket to avoid Mario. Take from that what you will.

Thorn and scourge like this.
  10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'm glad someone else is noticing that. Thank you. A rep for you.

11. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I think it is because Okoye plays with high energy. He is also atheltic on the football field, as opposed to someplace like a track.

12. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Bingo! A good motor will take you far in the NFL. I think he does benefit from having Mario there to some extent but the single biggest thing is his motor. He just won't be denied on some plays. If anything I think that someday, if Mario does end up with a respectable pile of sacks it may be because he plays beside Okoye and not the other way around.

13. TexansMVP

TexansMVP Probowler

One thing that did impress me w/ Okoye is that both his sacks last week as well as the one today all came on 3rd and about 10. He has a knack on making a good play when it counts. Keep this effort up and he could very well reach his goal of keeping the DROY award in Houston.

14. jaybird

jaybird Veteran

He's very good and is benefiting from having some good guys around him. Mario is still getting doubled which frees up Okoye

15. real

real Guest

I think it diminishes Okoye's talent when you say he is getting sacks because of what someone else is doing.

Amobi is really good. He gets sacks because he is really good.

A lot of players have a high motor. A lot of players are quick.

Look at how Amobi deals with the interior linemen that try to block him. He has so many pass rushing moves it's ridiculous.

I think from a technical standpoint Amobi is way ahead of the game. He has good timing, good quickness, and he is pretty strong.

I'm not saying Mario or anyone else sucks by any means, but Amobi is getting sacks because of what he's doing....

Yeah a DE can make a QB step up...But not just any DT can be there and make the tackle when he does step up...

16. Hook'er

Hook'er Veteran

Mobi is a Beast!:texflag:

17. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

That's what I've been seeing. The QB steps up to get away from Mario or N.D. and Amobi cleans up.

The non-stop motor he's got doesn't hurt
    ;o)

18. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Of course Amobi is getting sacks because of what he's doing, but if the QB is stepping up that means the ends are helping Amobi with whis sacks...just like Mario got a sack off someone else's work because he never gave up on a play.

The Dline works as a whole IMO, when everyone plays well than one or two linemen will benefit from it sack wise. Besides that Mario made some good plays stopping the run today and I think he didn't do bad.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Probably has more to do with it being only week 4.

20. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yeah, Amobi beniefits alot from QB's having to step up.