Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Thoughts on the 49ers

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Based on mere statistics the 49ers aren't quite as tough as we know they will be. The stats dont reflect their overall attitude as a team but just for fun lets take a look:

Their defense is ranked 15th in the league allowing 322.6 ypg and 12th in the league with 19.6 ppg allowed. Against the pass they are 20th in the league allowing 234 ypg with an average QB rating of 76.3 good for 9th in the league.

Against the run they are 7th in the league allowing 88.6 ypg on the ground and a mere 3.3 avg against the run.

On offense they are 17th in the league averaging 22.4 ppg and are 29th in yards with a mere 267 ypg. This means either they make the most of their opportunities and/or their defense/special teams are opportunistic. Someone who has watched a bit more of the 49ers than I have can probably fill in on that.

Some other things you might be interested in:

The good:

TheRoddy White, the Falcons # 1 WR managed to go off for 200+ yards and a td against this team. I dont know whether it the 49ers were off or what but clearly if any WR in the NFL can put up those types of numbers than our man AJ can do that and better.

The bad:

The 49ers run a 3-4 and run it rather successfully. As we all know, aside from the 2nd half of the Cardinals game and the 1st half of the Jax game we haven't done well against a 3-4 defense. Now is the time to play a complete game against a good 3-4 defense. We're gonna need to find out a way to get the screen passes to work this week but its gonna be tough with 4 LBers on the field this time. Its gonna be no dice running against this team as per usual so its of great importance we get the screen passing going so that they cant send the house at Schaub and we can break open some big plays like last week with AJ's first catch and Slaton's td.

This is a tough team with one of the best LBers in the league, a good CB in Nate Clements, 2 good RBs in Gore and Coffee, a physical freak in Vernon Davis at TE who is finally starting play like Tarzan instead of Jane and lets not forget that Michael Crabtree might be making his debut this week. The bigger threat at WR imo would be Isaac Bruce but their deficiency at the QB position should be able to help us out.

Most importantly though, they've got an attitude and a toughness about them that we're gonna need to match or exceed on Sunday in order to get a win in Reliant Stadium. They're gonna try to hit us in the mouth and we're gonna have to respond properly.

Don't sleep on WR Josh Morgan either. He had a great end to the season last year, and after a slow start this year looks ready to try for the #1 WR spot again.

They are starting to take on the personality of their coach, so they will be tough as nails physically.

Their defense is ranked 15th in the league allowing 322.6 ypg and 12th in the league with 19.6 ppg allowed. Against the pass they are 20th in the league allowing 234 ypg with an average QB rating of 76.3 good for 9th in the league.

Honestly I haven't had the time or energy to go check this out, but IMO what is more important is examining how teams do against the other team's averages. Are teams having good days against them or bad days. For example, against the Texans D the last three weeks (I think without checking) the teams have under performed on their rushing. I don't care so much about what we end up ranking but would rather see the 1st ranked rushing offense look like the 32nd like last weekend.

Honestly I haven't had the time or energy to go check this out, but IMO what is more important is examining how teams do against the other team's averages. Are teams having good days against them or bad days. For example, against the Texans D the last three weeks (I think without checking) the teams have under performed on their rushing. I don't care so much about what we end up ranking but would rather see the 1st ranked rushing offense look like the 32nd like last weekend.

True, i'll start looking at that when i'm looking at stats from now on. Seems more productive.

This game worries me. Statistically, the Niners aren't anything special. But they like playing physically, and we never seem to match up well against those teams. It could go :whip: or :gun:

Should be a good game...assuming the niners pulled their heads out of their asses from their last game. If not, then it could be a long day for us.

And reports indicate that it's very likely that Crabtree will start at WR.

Should be a good game...assuming the niners pulled their heads out of their asses from their last game. If not, then it could be a long day for us.

And reports indicate that it's very likely that Crabtree will start at WR.

Having only two weeks of practice, and not yet played in an NFL game, I'm curious to see how that will work out. A complicated playbook the 49ers must have. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing him get lit up over the middle. Maybe Dunta can be of some use after all. :heh:

If he does anything of significance against us, it will just be small part of a much larger egg-laying process.

Having only two weeks of practice, and not yet played in an NFL game, I'm curious to see how that will work out. A complicated playbook the 49ers must have. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing him get lit up over the middle. Maybe Dunta can be of some use after all. :heh:

If he does anything of significance against us, it will just be small part of a much larger egg-laying process.

Well it's not like he is going to know all the plays; this doesn't really have anything to do with the sophistication of our playbook. Honestly, our offense is so bad that we're just trying out any potential sparkplugs that can blow some life into our offense. Crabtree will probably only run a few routes, some of which I bet will be design plays like screens and stuff.

This is a good game for him to start off in. You guys have some playmakers on defense obviously, but the DB corps is definitely lacking, so hopefully he has a chance to do something. But as average as your defense is, our O is probably worse, so we probably won't take advantage of it too much, if at all.

Last edited:
Well it's not like he is going to know all the plays; this doesn't really have anything to do with the sophistication of our playbook. Honestly, our offense is so bad that we're just trying out any potential sparkplugs that can blow some life into our offense. Crabtree will probably only run a few routes, some of which I bet will be design plays like screens and stuff.

This is a good game for him to start off in. You guys have some playmakers on defense obviously, but the DB corps is definitely lacking, so hopefully he has a chance to do something. But as average as your defense is, our O is probably worse, so we probably won't take advantage of it too much, if at all.

So fill me in your QB situation. I fully expected to see Alex Smith at the reins, but I noticed this Shaun Hill starting instead. And it also appears like you have some OL problems?

And FWIW, we've been a lot better containing the other team's running game the last couple of weeks. We held Benson of the Bengals pretty much in check.

And Brian Cushing's a beast. Should have ROY locked if does two things, not getting hurt, and not running into that "rookie wall".

So fill me in your QB situation. I fully expected to see Alex Smith at the reins, but I noticed this Shaun Hill starting instead. And it also appears like you have some OL problems?

And FWIW, we've been a lot better containing the other team's running game the last couple of weeks. We held Benson of the Bengals pretty much in check.

And Brian Cushing's a beast. Should have ROY locked if does two things, not getting hurt, and not running into that "rookie wall".

The only thing could be injury...cuz he's only gonna run through any "wall"....Brian "Crushing" :wild:

On offense they are 17th in the league averaging 22.4 ppg and are 29th in yards with a mere 267 ypg. This means either they make the most of their opportunities and/or their defense/special teams are opportunistic. Someone who has watched a bit more of the 49ers than I have can probably fill in on that.

The good news is after you back out the 4 defensive/special teams touchdowns that they've scored, the offense has averaged less than 17 points per game which is much more in line with the #29 ypg ranking.

The bad news is that they've scored 4 defensive/special teams touchdowns.

Seems like this would be a good week to cure Slaton's fumbleitis, and not have Schaub throw that one interception it seems like he's developed a habit of doing.

I think after their debacle against the Falcons, Singletary will have that defense ready to play off a bye. I think it will be a tough game. They have weapons and Hill isn't spectacular by any means but he usually makes few mistakes while they grind it down the field.

The 49ers are like we were last week: A product of their week schedule.

The only teams they've beaten are Seattle, St Louis, and a Cardinals team that started off very slowly.

They've lost to Minnesota and got absolutely smothered by Atlanta.

The teams theyve beaten have a combined record of 5-12 I think.

This is a team that doesn't have much going on offensively. Hill is a mediocre QB at best, which means if we can stop Gore, I think we'll be ok.

Our run defense has started to turn the corner *fingers crosssed/knocks on wood* and so this is the type of team we should match up very well against. They dont have the offensive threats in the passing game to blow this one open, so hopefully we can score early on them and make them play from behind

Their starting CBs are pretty solid but so were Cincinnati's:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_posi...e=r&runpass=&teamid=28&numsnaps=50&numgames=1

Shawntae Spencer seems to be playing a lot better football than Nate Clements right now (altough that could be in large part because Clements got scorched by Roddy White in their last game for 200+ yards and a td).

Spencer has been thrown at 20 times only allowing 10 receptions, no tds, 1 INT, 2 passes defensed and a QB rating of 52.5.

Clements on the other hand has been thrown at 35 times allowing 19 receptions (54.3%), 4 tds,1 INT, 4 passes defensed and a QB rating of 109.7...

Lets match AJ up against Clements!!!

The 49ers are like we were last week: A product of their week schedule.

The only teams they've beaten are Seattle, St Louis, and a Cardinals team that started off very slowly.

They've lost to Minnesota and got absolutely smothered by Atlanta.

The teams theyve beaten have a combined record of 5-12 I think.

This is a team that doesn't have much going on offensively. Hill is a mediocre QB at best, which means if we can stop Gore, I think we'll be ok.

Our run defense has started to turn the corner *fingers crosssed/knocks on wood* and so this is the type of team we should match up very well against. They dont have the offensive threats in the passing game to blow this one open, so hopefully we can score early on them and make them play from behind

Last second Favre pass. They played well that game....so they are dangerous

Favre played his worst game of the season against the 49ers:

So far his QB rating is 109.5 and he's thrown for 1347 yards and 12 tds with 2 INTs.

Against the 49ers he was 24-46 (52.2 %...much worse than his 69.7% average for the year) for 301 yards 2 Tds and 1 INT. His QB rating was 78.3, his 2nd lowest for the season came in the season opener against Cleveland which was 95.3.

Their starting CBs are pretty solid but so were Cincinnati's:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_posi...e=r&runpass=&teamid=28&numsnaps=50&numgames=1

Shawntae Spencer seems to be playing a lot better football than Nate Clements right now (altough that could be in large part because Clements got scorched by Roddy White in their last game for 200+ yards and a td).

Spencer has been thrown at 20 times only allowing 10 receptions, no tds, 1 INT, 2 passes defensed and a QB rating of 52.5.

Clements on the other hand has been thrown at 35 times allowing 19 receptions (54.3%), 4 tds,1 INT, 4 passes defensed and a QB rating of 109.7...

Lets match AJ up against Clements!!!

Clements is better. These CB stats are total hogwash.

Well, Shaun Hill is our QB and will be for the rest of the season unless he totally self-destructs like he did vs ATL, in which case Alex Smith will most likely take over. I find this highly unlikely, however; Singletary made it clear that Hill doesn't have a short leash, so he isn't waiting for him to screw up to put Alex in. It would have to take repeated crap fests for Hill to actually be shown the bench. Hill is a solid QB; he lacks the physical tools a great QB needs, like a good (or even average) arm, but compensates for that with his coolness. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes and plays hard, making him a good leader. But because of his inability to make those big throws, combined with our crap o-line, if we're down big we ain't comin' back.

So this brings me to the o-line; pretty much all you need to know is that it's atrocious. It can't run or pass block. Mike Singletary shook the starting line-up up a bit during the bye though, so maybe that improved it a bit.

And yeah, Cushing is a beast.

I notice on your team's board there is a debate as to who should cover AJ. Is it a kneejerk reaction to Clements' game against Roddy White?

Probably, but Spencer didn't play well last game either. It's not like Clements was the only one on Roddy though; White (as well as pretty much everyone on the ATL O) burned anyone who covered him. There were times when the safety blew it, Nate did, or another CB who was defending him that play.

Minus last week, Nate is having probably the best year of pro career. He is definitely stepping it up and making a ton of plays for us. What is most impressive is the force he is in our rush defense.

What I'm curious about is your guys' O-line. How has that looked so far?

Probably, but Spencer didn't play well last game either. It's not like Clements was the only one on Roddy though; White (as well as pretty much everyone on the ATL O) burned anyone who covered him. There were times when the safety blew it, Nate did, or another CB who was defending him that play.

Minus last week, Nate is having probably the best year of pro career. He is definitely stepping it up and making a ton of plays for us. What is most impressive is the force he is in our rush defense.

The interior OL is awful. Our starting C has been run over by better DT's, our 3rd round pick has yet to play, and both of our starting Guards are out for the season. Backups have been better than I expected the last two games, but if your DL is up for the game they should get opportunities.

Depends who we are playing. We looked like swiss cheese against the Jets 3-4 and absolutely dominated the Bengals DL. Against the Jets, Kris Jenkins literally karate chopped our center to the ground milliseconds after the ball was snapped. It looked like a cartoon. Against the Bengals, there were many times when Schaub had at least 5+ seconds to throw the ball. Over the last two weeks we've thrown the ball over 75 times I think and we've only given up 1 sack.

That said, we are pretty poor in run blocking at the moment. If we get a hole, its usually gaping. If we don't, the OL seem to bump into each other.

The OL is like the rest of the team--feast or famine

So this brings me to the o-line; pretty much all you need to know is that it's atrocious. It can't run or pass block. Mike Singletary shook the starting line-up up a bit during the bye though, so maybe that improved it a bit.

And yeah, Cushing is a beast.

Hopefully this means that Super Mario will arrive on Sunday!!! How is your OT play? I remember hearing good things about your LT Staley(?) when he was drafted.

Hopefully this means that Super Mario will arrive on Sunday!!! How is your OT play? I remember hearing good things about your LT Staley(?) when he was drafted.

Staley is playing OK.. Got owned a lot against the Falcons, but the whole team sucked that game. I think they were all thinking about going home to the wife, girlfriends etc and getting some..

Yes, Craptree is playing against you guys Singletary stated 10-15 snaps the other day. This does not mean the ball will be, thrown to him..

As of yesterday the team, coaches have been very impressed with craptree and they want him on the field and feel he, can make a difference. Time will tell and I am not sold on this pre madonna.

We, have made changes on our O line Tony Pashos will play RT and Adam Snyder will shift to RG and rotate with Chilo Rachal. Rachal has been a huge disappointment so far this year, the reason for being benched. Should be interesting to see how the O line responds with the changes.

Sunday's game our defense needs to show up and play like they have been. Should be, a great game coming down to the wire on who wins.

Here are CBSSports.com's thoughts on the Niners.

Week7.jpg

Question: The "expert" records just above here^^. Against the spread, correct? Gotta be. (Miami over N.O. gives it away) Anyway, I'll take it.

:kingkong: :pirate: :kingkong:

Based on mere statistics the 49ers aren't quite as tough as we know they will be. The stats dont reflect their overall attitude as a team but just for fun lets take a look:

Against the run they are 7th in the league allowing 88.6 ypg on the ground and a mere 3.3 avg against the run.

Some other things you might be interested in:

The good:

TheRoddy White, the Falcons # 1 WR managed to go off for 200+ yards and a td against this team. I dont know whether it the 49ers were off or what but clearly if any WR in the NFL can put up those types of numbers than our man AJ can do that and better.

The bad:

The 49ers run a 3-4 and run it rather successfully. As we all know, aside from the 2nd half of the Cardinals game and the 1st half of the Jax game we haven't done well against a 3-4 defense. Now is the time to play a complete game against a good 3-4 defense. We're gonna need to find out a way to get the screen passes to work this week but its gonna be tough with 4 LBers on the field this time. Its gonna be no dice running against this team as per usual so its of great importance we get the screen passing going so that they cant send the house at Schaub and we can break open some big plays like last week with AJ's first catch and Slaton's td.

This is a tough team with one of the best LBers in the league, a good CB in Nate Clements, 2 good RBs in Gore and Coffee, a physical freak in Vernon Davis at TE who is finally starting play like Tarzan instead of Jane and lets not forget that Michael Crabtree might be making his debut this week. The bigger threat at WR imo would be Isaac Bruce but their deficiency at the QB position should be able to help us out.

Most importantly though, they've got an attitude and a toughness about them that we're gonna need to match or exceed on Sunday in order to get a win in Reliant Stadium. They're gonna try to hit us in the mouth and we're gonna have to respond properly.

I didn't read all of the posts, so I aplogize if I'm repeating some one else, but never, I mean NEVER underestimate our ability to make so-so QB's look great. I know our D has been playing better ( actually pretty damned great) the last few weeks, but I'm staying nervous about it staying at that level. We seem to reach above averageness and get complacent.

Stats don't always mean a whole lot, but comparing the teams matchups:

Texans offense is rated 5th over all, going against SanFran defense rated 10th overall.

SanFans offense is rated 31st over all, going against Houston's defense rated 23rd over all.

So, judging just by the numbers each team has put up, our offense is better than their defense, and our defense is better than their offense. But, like I said, stats don't mean a whole lot to a motivated team. I can't wait for Sunday. I want to be 5-3 (wins over SanFran and Buffalo) before heading up to Indy.

I think we absolutely have to get the early lead in this game. If we can do that it'll force Hill to throw the ball in order to beat us. In turn, it'll allow Mario & Co to pin their ears back and go eat.

Defense must stop the run early to allow the offense a chance to get the lead.

If Houston goes up by more than a TD the 49ers are screwed and will self destruct like they did vs Atlanta.

I agree that the Niners will have trouble coming from behind, but I've started to come around on Hill. He isn't going to be a Manning any day soon, but he does a pretty good job of minimizing mistakes and controlling the game. If we get involved in a long drawn out struggle where it comes down to which QB makes a mistake in the fourth and takes a dumb risk, I might pick Schaub over Hill to overshoot and try to do too much. Combined with Slaton's unnerving propensity for turnovers, a close game is going to have me very nervous.

I agree that the 9ers will have trouble coming from behind, but I've started to come around on Hill. He isn't going to be a Manning any day soon, but he does a pretty good job of minimizing mistakes and controlling the game. If we get involved in a long drawn out struggle where it comes down to which QB makes the first mistake and takes a dumb risk, might pick Schaub over Hil to overshoot and try to do too much. Combined with Slaton's unnerving propensity for turnovers, a close game is going to have me very nervous.

I don't see him or that offense making big mistakes either. Hopefully we continue to make a good amount of three and outs and our offense continues to play well.

I am expecting a very solid win against SF. Maybe not a blow out but a "take control" game. Against Buffalo a closer but still solid win. We need some consistency appearing. Whoa, for a minute there I thought I had channeled Gary K.

Back