Thoughts on the 49ers

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, Oct 19, 2009.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Based on mere statistics the 49ers aren't quite as tough as we know they will be. The stats dont reflect their overall attitude as a team but just for fun lets take a look:

Their defense is ranked 15th in the league allowing 322.6 ypg and 12th in the league with 19.6 ppg allowed. Against the pass they are 20th in the league allowing 234 ypg with an average QB rating of 76.3 good for 9th in the league.

Against the run they are 7th in the league allowing 88.6 ypg on the ground and a mere 3.3 avg against the run.

On offense they are 17th in the league averaging 22.4 ppg and are 29th in yards with a mere 267 ypg. This means either they make the most of their opportunities and/or their defense/special teams are opportunistic. Someone who has watched a bit more of the 49ers than I have can probably fill in on that.

Some other things you might be interested in:

The good:

TheRoddy White, the Falcons # 1 WR managed to go off for 200+ yards and a td against this team. I dont know whether it the 49ers were off or what but clearly if any WR in the NFL can put up those types of numbers than our man AJ can do that and better.

The bad:

The 49ers run a 3-4 and run it rather successfully. As we all know, aside from the 2nd half of the Cardinals game and the 1st half of the Jax game we haven't done well against a 3-4 defense. Now is the time to play a complete game against a good 3-4 defense. We're gonna need to find out a way to get the screen passes to work this week but its gonna be tough with 4 LBers on the field this time. Its gonna be no dice running against this team as per usual so its of great importance we get the screen passing going so that they cant send the house at Schaub and we can break open some big plays like last week with AJ's first catch and Slaton's td.

This is a tough team with one of the best LBers in the league, a good CB in Nate Clements, 2 good RBs in Gore and Coffee, a physical freak in Vernon Davis at TE who is finally starting play like Tarzan instead of Jane and lets not forget that Michael Crabtree might be making his debut this week. The bigger threat at WR imo would be Isaac Bruce but their deficiency at the QB position should be able to help us out.

Most importantly though, they've got an attitude and a toughness about them that we're gonna need to match or exceed on Sunday in order to get a win in Reliant Stadium. They're gonna try to hit us in the mouth and we're gonna have to respond properly.

2. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Don't sleep on WR Josh Morgan either. He had a great end to the season last year, and after a slow start this year looks ready to try for the #1 WR spot again.

3. Kulluminatii

Kulluminatii Hall of Fame

I've also heard Crabs will play...wonder how he will do :thinking:.

4. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Crabtree will start according to PFT

5. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

They are starting to take on the personality of their coach, so they will be tough as nails physically.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

Honestly I haven't had the time or energy to go check this out, but IMO what is more important is examining how teams do against the other team's averages. Are teams having good days against them or bad days. For example, against the Texans D the last three weeks (I think without checking) the teams have under performed on their rushing. I don't care so much about what we end up ranking but would rather see the 1st ranked rushing offense look like the 32nd like last weekend.

Texan Asylum likes this.
  7. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

True, i'll start looking at that when i'm looking at stats from now on. Seems more productive.

8. Sal Rosenberg

Sal Rosenberg All Pro

Do you guys think their defense is any good?Jury is still out..but if Crabtree scores on us .....:headhurts::bat:

9. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

there overated just like us LOL

10. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

My thoughts are along the lines of :francis: until the game's over.

11. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

This game worries me. Statistically, the Niners aren't anything special. But they like playing physically, and we never seem to match up well against those teams. It could go :whip: or :gun:

12. SF49erFaithful

SF49erFaithful Crabtree FTW

Should be a good game...assuming the niners pulled their heads out of their asses from their last game. If not, then it could be a long day for us.

And reports indicate that it's very likely that Crabtree will start at WR.

13. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Having only two weeks of practice, and not yet played in an NFL game, I'm curious to see how that will work out. A complicated playbook the 49ers must have. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing him get lit up over the middle. Maybe Dunta can be of some use after all. :heh:

If he does anything of significance against us, it will just be small part of a much larger egg-laying process.

14. SF49erFaithful

SF49erFaithful Crabtree FTW

Well it's not like he is going to know all the plays; this doesn't really have anything to do with the sophistication of our playbook. Honestly, our offense is so bad that we're just trying out any potential sparkplugs that can blow some life into our offense. Crabtree will probably only run a few routes, some of which I bet will be design plays like screens and stuff.

This is a good game for him to start off in. You guys have some playmakers on defense obviously, but the DB corps is definitely lacking, so hopefully he has a chance to do something. But as average as your defense is, our O is probably worse, so we probably won't take advantage of it too much, if at all.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  15. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

So fill me in your QB situation. I fully expected to see Alex Smith at the reins, but I noticed this Shaun Hill starting instead. And it also appears like you have some OL problems?

And FWIW, we've been a lot better containing the other team's running game the last couple of weeks. We held Benson of the Bengals pretty much in check.

And Brian Cushing's a beast. Should have ROY locked if does two things, not getting hurt, and not running into that "rookie wall".

16. Air Canada

Air Canada Veteran

The only thing could be injury...cuz he's only gonna run through any "wall"....Brian "Crushing" :wild:

17. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

The good news is after you back out the 4 defensive/special teams touchdowns that they've scored, the offense has averaged less than 17 points per game which is much more in line with the #29 ypg ranking.

The bad news is that they've scored 4 defensive/special teams touchdowns.

Seems like this would be a good week to cure Slaton's fumbleitis, and not have Schaub throw that one interception it seems like he's developed a habit of doing.

18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

I think after their debacle against the Falcons, Singletary will have that defense ready to play off a bye. I think it will be a tough game. They have weapons and Hill isn't spectacular by any means but he usually makes few mistakes while they grind it down the field.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

We're playing another team coming off their bye. That's awesome! :rolleyes:

20. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

The 49ers are like we were last week: A product of their week schedule.

The only teams they've beaten are Seattle, St Louis, and a Cardinals team that started off very slowly.

They've lost to Minnesota and got absolutely smothered by Atlanta.

The teams theyve beaten have a combined record of 5-12 I think.

This is a team that doesn't have much going on offensively. Hill is a mediocre QB at best, which means if we can stop Gore, I think we'll be ok.

Our run defense has started to turn the corner *fingers crosssed/knocks on wood* and so this is the type of team we should match up very well against. They dont have the offensive threats in the passing game to blow this one open, so hopefully we can score early on them and make them play from behind