Thoughts on Mercilus and My 2nd/3rd Round Draft Value Chart

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by LZ, Apr 27, 2012.

1. LZ

LZ Veteran

I put together a 1st round Texans Draft Board yesterday and I just finished a 2nd/3rd Round Draft Value Board for today.

I don't have any inside info on ANY of my predictions here, I'm simply using my draft ratings combined with my knowledge of what they look for and how they draft along with their team needs to try and create their board.

Here is the board:
    http://bit.ly/Jy6xYD

I like the pick of Whitney Mercilus personally. He's not DeMarcus Ware and he has some holes in his game. I'm afraid people are going to be expecting too much from him too soon when, in reality, he's still very raw as a pass rusher.

What Mercilus does have though is a solid first step, a good change of direction, a good motor and moldable, coachable physical attributes. He will be able to come in and work into the rotation, but I'm not sure if he is ready to start just yet.

Double Barrel, Ryan, Vinny and 3 others like this.
  2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Ahh, cool ... an updated draft value chart.

Thanks, Lance, you've done some good work on this draft! :clap:

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

He has some nice inside moves and will give Wade another credible slashing rusher inside of Barwin or Reed when its third and long. I'd have to think they project him as an eventual starter since they picked him over other need areas. I think they have that luxury the Steelers usually have with their OLB's by bringing guys along slowly.

4. LZ

LZ Veteran

I completely agree with you, Vinny.

5. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I'm not really expecting him to come in and start right away. I do expect him to contribute a lot on passing downs. I think he's quicker and has better pass rushing moves than Reed.

I'd assume Wade can figure out how to use all of them on the field together on 3rd downs. Having Smith and Watt move inside with Cushing, Barwin, Reed and Mercilus behind/beside them sounds truly appealing

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Thanks Lance, love the show BTW.

7. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

I could see Reed playing a little ILB to get all 3 on the field together, but Wade did say yesterday he wanted to draft an ILB

8. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

LZ -

What are your thoughts on his NFL readiness compared to the way you viewed Brooks Reed one year ago?

9. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Great insight and analysis Vinny and Lance!

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

You've got Courtney Upshaw on your day 1 board ahead of Mercilus. What do you think of the Texans passing on Upshaw to select Mercilus?

11. LZ

LZ Veteran

I appreciate it.

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

IIRC, Reed was not expected to start for a while and he did pretty good.

13. LZ

LZ Veteran

I think Brooks was more NFL ready last year despite having him ranked 40th on my Top 100 last year. I had Mercilus at 20, but those ratings reflect overall upside. Mercilus is less experienced and less skilled as a pass rusher than Reed was coming out, but he's the better athlete and has a higher potential ceiling.

ChampionTexan likes this.
  14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Phillips was quoted as saying Mercilus is more polished than Reed as a passrusher at this stage, specifically using his hands better. What are your thoughts on that? I'm looking for a link to the quote and will post it when I find it.

15. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

16 sacks gets me stoked but what really pumps me up is that he tied the school single season sack record held by Simeon Rice. Rice was the 3rd overall pick in 96. He came into the combine weighing 259, 6040 & ran a 4.79 forty. Mercilus measured 261, 6035 & ran a 4.68 forty. Rice had 12.5 sacks as a rookie. It's going to be next to impossible tempering fans expectations in Wade Phillip defense with cast surrounding him.

16. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    I knew about the Simeon Rice part, they discussed it briefly during the draft. Had no idea about his measurables though. Virtually identical. I'm liking Wade's new guy. Big time!

17. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Good list. You'll notice that Devier Posey and Keyshawn Martin are nowhere on the list, makes you wonder what the Texans were thinking and who in the Texans organization made those 2 picks.

18. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Nobody had Posey that high, but the Texans FO obviously saw something they liked. I am still trying to coming to grips with the pick, but I just cant do it yet. I hope I am wrong though.

As for Martin, he was drafted in the 4th, so he would not really be on that list. Martin is an exciting player because he seriously is a player that does what JJ was supposed to do.

19. LZ

LZ Veteran

He might use his hands better, but Reed had an up and under move, an inside spin, a legit edge rush and could bull rush. If anyone wants to show me any games where Mercilus exhibited those pass rush moves, I am more than willing to come watch. Hand placement and usage may very well be in Mercilus' favor. Mercilus is the better overall prospect though.

20. The Medic01

The Medic01 Veteran

No offense man I'm sure you know about this but I'll take Wade's word over yours. No offense just Wade is a genius who probably spent weeks on end studying pass rushers. He gets paid to do this kind of thing.