Thoughts on Mario?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, Dec 13, 2009.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Seems like he's coming on in the pass rush... 3 games in a row with a sack and his first multi sack game of the year today.

Is it because he's getting healthy or do any of you DL gurus see anything different that the coaches are doing with him? I liked the playcall on the 2nd sack.

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yes, that was nice. Should see more of that

3. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

It was nice to see a play for him to go up the gut instead of just speed rushing the outside every time.

4. Spled

Spled All Pro

He's up to 8 now.

5. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I say it's some of everything.

6. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

sacks are an overrated stat.

7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I haven't even seen the game yet, but I'll just bet we're getting better pressure up the middle. It's called killer instinct, and we tend to get it when WE are already dead. It has occurred to me before that we need to stop asking our DTs to get around linemen to get to the QB (effectively making them chase our DEs around the outside) and just tell them shove the sons of guns on top of him. Doing it the simple way tends to help our LBs land on the QB more often too, instead of running right into the O-lineman chasing our crazy DTs around the outside.

PS-This is football. Grow some balls!

8. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Not to mention we were playing a pretty-banged up Seattle team.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Well, that would help too. :gun:

10. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i thought he seemed pretty fired up for the game today, moreso than ive noticed all season

11. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

He also has around 30 QB pressures and 20 QB hits.

alphajoker likes this.
  12. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I suspect he is feeling better, but that may just be due to more/better pharmaceuticals. I would not be surprised at all to see him get some sort of shoulder procedure in the off season.

13. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

Just don't think his motor runs all the time. Had the same problem in college. Great physical specimen but not a great football player. Is good just because of his physical gifts, not natural football instincts or heart. Is he injured or do the Texans just say that so the fans will not crucify him and they have an excuse for his average play. If he is hurt then he is injury prone. Just my opinion. I am in a bad mood today

14. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Too bad it hasn't gotten him more sacks.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  15. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

The Seahawks have a very bad offensive line. It was good to see the defense take advantage of it, but that o-line's poor play must be considered when evaluating the big d-line improvement.

16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

His motor's fine. It's his shoulder that's not fine. And he's playing through it because we don't have another player that can rack up 30 pressures, 20 QB hits, and 8 sacks even while healthy, much less banged up like Mario is.

Some folks need to step back from the ledge and rethink where to direct their ire, IMO.

17. The Third Man

The Third Man All Pro

You are wrong. I bet you never watched him college and you haven't been paying attention this year. His motor is fine. Question his lack of technique to assist his ungodly speed and power, but I have never seen him dog it out there. He doesn't take plays off.

18. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Damn, that snuck up on me.

19. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I just retweeted this quote from Mario and he kinda implies that he takes plays off.

20. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Reading the postgame quotes I got the impression that Mario is having personal troubles in addition to injury troubles this year:

Texans DE Mario Williams
    (on how he felt about his play today) "It's just going out and playing hard. There's been a lot of adversity here not just with the team, especially with myself. I've just got to play harder and just keep trying to push it and that's pretty much it."

(on what kind of adversity he has had) "That's classified."

(on how they deal with talk about if head coach Gary Kubiak should lose his job) "I don't want another coach here. I love Kubiak to death. We had a long talk this week, me and him personally. It meant a lot, the things he said to me and the way he came at me. He basically told me I need to play better. Right now, everybody is under a microscope, but if you look at it, there are some things that might've been iffy, but at the end of the day, it's the players that play and it's us that need to be accountable. Myself, I need to give a better effort. Not just for myself, but for him. I think Kubiak is a great coach. I definitely don't want to see anything different here. With that being said, I have to play harder to try and keep everyone intact, everybody together. It's late right now, but it's better now than never. Every day that you go out there now, you know you've got to give it up for the coach and for everybody else on the team."

(on if it was unusual for them to sit down and talk) "It was unusual because we talked about a lot of things, not just football—life. It meant a lot to me. He knew it meant a lot to me. Like I said, it's just a lot of energy that the players have to show on the field that we have to take care of. A lot of times, obviously the first person you blame is the coach. He always takes the responsibility, but it doesn't seem fair that way. Eventually, it's going to come down to us, if we want to have somebody different, what are they going to say then if the same things happen? So we have to take ownership and play better."

I'm sure the story will eventually come out in the offseason. I could be wrong but I get the impression there is something going on in his personal life that is effecting his play on the field other than a bum shoulder. Why else would Kubiak have a talk with him about life?