Thoughts on Jamaal Charles

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by badboy, Jan 18, 2008.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I am looking for thoughts on how this UT junior would fit in Texans ZBS. Fumble-itis is the main red flag that I have. It seems to me that the games I saw or read about indicated the majority of those fumbles were after his forward motion had been slowed and he was fighting for extra yards. I am all for a back or receiver/TE fighting for extra yards, but at some point the player need to stop resisting and decrease the opportunities for the ball to be stripped. This should be something he could be taught to do or how to protect ball better. He did seem to hold on to the ball better as season progressed.

Size 6'1" 200 lbs and 4.39 speed is right there with Felix Jones and Slaton(smaller and a bit slower than Charles).

It has been said that Charles runs better outside than between the tackles, but the supposed move to the full ZBS of the new OC should play to Charles strength.

He also caught 17 passes for 199 yards. Not a lot but he can do it.

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I like Jamal Charles and was having this conversation two days ago. He will be a scat back (Reggie Bush) or a potentially good ZBS RB. I think his value is in the late 4th to 5th round.

3. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

to get a talent like that in the 4th or 5th Rond would be outstanding. I would throw a freaking party.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

5. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I think his speed is going to vault him up to the 3rd maybe even late 2nd. If he wasn't such a fumbler he could be late 1st.

6. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Smaller, weaker, less agile, and less versitile than Reggie:texflag:

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Jamaal Charles will be overdrafted because of his speed and his upside. Not only does Charles have track speed, but he has displayed it on the field with his touchdowns averaging over 20 yards. Yeah, he has a fumbling problem (8 fumbles this season, an average of 34 carries/fumble). This was also only his first season as a starter.

But, I think Charles' big play potential and measurables will trump the negatives. It's possible that he could sneak into the 1st round, but early 2nd is more likely due to the depth at RB in this draft. If the Raiders don't take McFadden in the 1st, Charles would be a typical Al Davis pick early in the 2nd round.

8. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Agreed Lucky. Great Blue Northern has elevated him into the first round with their lastest mock. Buyer beware.

9. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Hope this has'nt been posted but ... who would you take ... Jamaal Charles or Chris Johnson ?

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think there will be some teams that ask themselves the same question. I think Charles has been more consistent and played at a higher level of competition. Johnson may be more versatile, as a receiver and a returner. Charles is slightly larger, and may be able to carry a little more weight than he is currently. I'd give the slight edge to Charles.

11. Honoring Earl 34

I think these guys are luxury picks . If your team is real good with no glaring needs then you pick a guy like these two in the 1st for 3rd downs or change of pace .

If you're the Texans and they are there in the 3rd you do cart wheels . I really wish we had a second round pick .

12. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

So does Rick Smith. Agreed if either one of them is still on the board in the third you make the pick then. That's value. to select either one of them with the eighteen, you're projecting Barry Sanders type potential out of them...I do not see that with either one of them. Again...buyer beware.

13. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

The "scout" from Denver likes Charles, but not in the early rounds (he didn't say specifically what round). Probably the fumble problem doesn't entice them much.

14. TexansSeminole

The big difference between these two is fumbling. Chris Johnson fumbled in the bowl game that East Carolina played for the first time during the whole year (either that or he never lost a fumble). Experience is also a big factor as you stated. I'd take Charles over Johnson.

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Charles is 5-10 lbs lighter and 1 inch shorter that McFadden. McFadden rushed for 1830 with 5.6 avg, Charles 1619 with 6.3avg.

Two different type runners but both very productive against good teams. I like McFadden better, but he is not going to be there. Is Charles 30 picks or more worse than McFadden? What drops him below the second round? I'm not arguing just want to see some reason behind others thoughts he will be 3rd round or lower. It seems he would really fit well under the tutelage of our new assistant head coach.

16. TexansSeminole

Again, the two things that seperate these two are fumbling, and tackle breaking ability. Both are in favor of McFadden. McFadden is a stiff arm champion. I haven't seen a stiff arm like his in awhile.

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Can you or someone get an accurate number for me on how many fumbles in 07 Charles had? I thought it was 7 with 4 losses and fairly early in the season. Most links I found agree he corrected that as season went on. I am not pushing Charles just trying to discover how some of you rule a player out or in.

18. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Yep and the projected delta between Charles, the 7th RB and Choice, the 12th RB, is potentially three rounds, based on this source. Like I said, I like Charles. However, a scat back will not go that early unless he has a marketing machine. Then you come to the ZBS teams who are a finite few and have value based darfting down to a tee.

Personally I believe his value is in the late 4th or 5th rounds.

19. Honoring Earl 34

What if he ate Subways with Jared ?

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

You basically have to go through the play by play to determine fumbles by individual college players. The NCAA doesn't track fumbles on a player basis. I found Charles fumbled 8 times (losing 5), spread pretty evenly through the season.

Central Florida - 2
    Rice - 1
    Oklahoma - 1
    Baylor - 1
    Texas Tech - 2
    Arizona State - 1