Thomas Davis could be our guy

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by BuffSoldier, Mar 13, 2005.

1. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

[​IMG]
    After our last game I was hoping that the Texans drafted TD with the 13th pick. Shortley after I changed my mind thinking that we needed to upgrade at other positions other than SS. But that Ive pieced the puzzle together, I have come back to the conclusion that I made early on in the off season. TD could be the best pick for us.

Thomas Davis is 6'1, 230 and runs a 4.55 and can play either SS or ILB in our scheme. We are more than likely going to loose both Jaime Sharper and Jay Foreman to a trade, and if we cant use what we get from that trade to move up for DJ than why not TD. If Greenwood or Wang get injured then, who do we have to come in as backups. Basically no one. Plus I personally believe that TD would win the starting job over Glen Earl any way. He is a 2 position player that could challenge fr a starting spot at 2 places in our defense. Maybe Im not connecting all the dots, but hes seems like he might be the BPA for us come draft day.

2. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

Maybe..... if we do not get the dream pick of DJ, Davis makes sense if we plan on converting him to ILB..... other than his strength in run support, he should be able to do a little bit of coverage....... heck, better than Foreman anyways.

3. stephen1

stephen1 Veteran

hes too small to play ILB, only 230

4. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

If we wanted an ILB, why wouldn't we just trade down to late round 1 and pick Channing Crowder instead of worrying about converting Davis to a position he may or may not be suited for? Add to that the fact that his weakest point is coverage and take into account our affinity for dropping our ILB's into coverage and it looks like he may be a harder hitting Jay Foreman...impressive...

5. H-townTexan

H-townTexan Rookie

NAH listen we could trade sharper to MINNESSOTTA but only if we get the 7th pick and Harris -------------------------- Harris wouls would make a good ilb or olb whATEVER YOU WANT he sure do kick Antwan Peek azz and thaz 4sho

6. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

We'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for Sharper...4th rounder is more likely...

7. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

you are forgetting Earl. he impressed lastt year and i think its his spot to loose. I just dont see a 1st round Secondary pick this year. Maybe a 3rd or 4th round.

8. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Buyer Beware
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3445758

9. jr0ck

jr0ck Veteran

hehe, you said wang...

10. DRIFTAWAY

DRIFTAWAY All Pro

he would fit in good since we are in need of a solid safety, no diss to earl. I can't imagine dallas passing on him with their 10th pick though.

11. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

What makes you think Davis would be a better safety than Earl? If you read their draft profiles, they're nearly identical...}he only difference is that Earl got injured his senior season and Davis didn't...

Also, I seriously doubt the Cowbys take Davis at 10 for two reasons:

1. They already have a SS (Roy Williams), and

2. Dallas has the 11th pick...

12. tiger06

tiger06 Veteran

I don't know how I'd live my life if wang got injured :woot

13. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

the problem I have with TD isnt that he is not a valuable pick.. its that he would not make a good ILB from what im hearing.. he sucks in coverage. And he would not make a good SS in our defense because he sucks in coverage as well.

on top of that we have a rookie that we got for great value last year.. who has already recovered from the injury that knocked him down to the 4th round..and was looking very talented before the season ended.

he may be a valuable pick.. but to me it would be like drafting a QB at #13.. except we dont have much chance of trading Thomas Davis in a couple years and making a profit.

14. wags

wags Hall of Fame

Just wondering, but how many games did you watch to come to this conclusion? What plays in particular did you see him suck it up?

Every one keeps saying TD is weak in coverage. Well guess what Glenn Earl's weakness is, it's coverage.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/41514.html

Earl had 44 tackles, ZERO Int's, ZERO passes defended, ZERO forced fumbles, ZERO fumble recoveries, and ZERO sacks. Anyone who says that SS is a position of strength for us will have to do some serious stretching.

15. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

16. wags

wags Hall of Fame

Fiddy,

It will take more than some nameless executive's opinion to cloud my view on Davis. I generally try not to back up my opinions with quotes from people who are anonymous. It just adds a little bit more credibility.

17. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

im getting the "Davis sucks in coverage" thing.. from a few different draft sights.. and sportingnews magazine.

18. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

I dont know what to think of Davis, I didnt really watch too many Georgia's game and it is hard to grade a safety's performance because they are never on the screen. That is what one scout said. I'm starting to believe that he is going to be a LB for a Cover 2 team.

19. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

I still wanna know what makes him better than Glenn Earl...I've been asking that question for months and nobody has been able to answer it...

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The answer is the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. In otherwords--absolutely nothing. Davis is just the flavor of the week so people will pimp him. Not to say he won't be a good NFL player but he is just another SS prospect for the NFL Every year the grass is greener.