This time around, three ailing stars must align in Texas(Article USA Today)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Brando, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Read more here...USA TODAY

[​IMG]

2. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Good read until the last couple of lines:

Dems fightin' words pal..... :pirate: :cowboy1: :boxing: :fight: :tedc: resulting in this for our opponents....:ouch:

Texan Asylum likes this.
  3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I agree with the statement, yet i don't.. and this has been dissected to death on another thread on Sage starting.. (not saying he should or shouldn't), just I realize this is a boost in confidence in Matt but to me.. If Sage beats Matt...Sage should start.. if not Matt should start.. I kinda don't like the "cut and dry" approach..with that statement.. Kubiak has stated that everyone has to work for his job,no matter what the salary is.. so why is the QB position any different?

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  4. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

The fact that it says they had to "research" that scares me a bit. :aggressive:

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Because the Qb position is different. The Qb is the defacto team leader and on-field coach.

Besides that, how many players who had successful seasons the year before actually have to "win" their jobs in training camp? I doubt Ladanian Tomlinson has to fight for his spot on openning day during the preseason.

6. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

well while i agree with most but LT is in a very different class than MS or SR... I like Matt as Qb .. but he needs to fight with the rest of them.. This isn't Payton Manning at the helm ..(as QB's ) but both players on our squad are top half of the pack in terms of QB.. not elite

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Who outside of MB's says it is different? Some folks around here assume there is no competition at QB. The fact very well could be all the coaches (and more importantly in the end, Kubiak) honestly believe there is no comparison and Schaub is the clearly better QB.

8. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

that is true.. And yes I thought about Kubiak"hand picked" Schaub... so he has his guy..I just wonder what is says to a backup Qb when on a MB it seems both are pretty similar..except Schaub didn't have AJ last season for most of it and performed well.. going statwise. similar

9. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

I actually liked it because they didn't include the Titans. :heh:

10. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Last thing Kubes wants is a divided Locker room over the #1 QB. Until MS is traded or goes off the field in a body body bag, he's the guy. Period. In a way I agree with you. Until the o-line gets situated....I'd start Rosenfeild, er Rosenfels. Let him absorb the punishment. Not going to happen.

The good thing 'bout the article, we're still under the radar. Everything comes together...and we got quite a few "everythings"...we're going to shock some folks this year.

By Scott Zucker, good job.

Can't make it any more clear wolf...Kubiack isn't going to open that pandora's box unless the sitution is dire ...read one of them is dead.

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I am not even in a Start Sage person(if you are refering to my post).. I am more of a if Sage beats out Matt.. then he does.. if Matt beats out Sage then cool.. but i do see where Kubiak wants the team to know who is leading this team

12. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

it's clear to me. what more proof do you need people?

13. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

wow, we are gonna start training camp with people allready looking to start Sage. Drama.com I'm gonna stop now.

14. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I'm a big fan of Sage. I'm thrilled that we didn't trade him. However, it's pretty clear that Schaub's abilities surpass Sage's.. And, there is no evidence that Schaub won't fulfill his potential- he's a hard-worker, his teammates believe in him, and he's still quite young. So, why on earth would anyone want to limit the potential at the QB position by starting Sage over a healthy Schaub?

15. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I remember a small group of fans clamoring for Commander Cody and Bucky Richardson...at least that didn't last too long.

16. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

I remember that. The back up QB is always the fan favorite.

17. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Most interesting part of the article to me:

As it relates to line work, simple can be good. Less thinking, more doing. All the players keep repeating how the blocking looks the same whether running or passing.

//stuff noodling around in my head alert. I think that this can help us in division. Because teams face you twice a year and have greater pressure to beat you, they spend more time focusing on tendencies and have more opportunity to find those tendencies.

I think that having a more unified offensive vision for the line may make it harder for teams to accurately guess pass or run.

18. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

If Kubiak deep in his heart is uncertain about who's the best QB for this team, and as a result goes into TC with an open mind about the starter, it would still be in his best interest to say what he said. QB controversies do no good at any point in the season or off-season and should be avoided if reasonably possible. He still has the right to change his mind based on what happens in pre-season, but to even hint that the guy you paid a high price for might not be "The guy" after only one season is not the message you want to send to your locker room, your owner, your fans (Well most of them anyway), or your competitors.

If Kubiak deep in his heart believes that Schaub is simply better, and nothing Sage can do in the controlled atmosphere of Training Camp, and the only semi-meaningful (at best) atmosphere of pre-season games can change his mind, then he's simply telling the truth. This, FWIW, is what I consider to be the more likely scenario.

Finally, even if he thinks the two are currently somewhat equal, he may view Schaub as having more potential and upside which can only be realized through playing in real-life NFL games. If this were the case, even if he gave Sage a slight edge currently, it would be in his and the Texans best interest to start Schaub anyway.

Whatever the actual beliefs held by Kubiak, I think he said the appropriate thing.

19. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

agreed. texans chick. same goes for the vanilla defense theory.

the thing that i thought was interesting about gibbs was something that winston said in that interview on ht.com

something about that gibbs told them to change it up. change up there look as individuals so that the defense doesn't see the same thing from each guy. he's a perfectionist who wants it run a certain way but he's designed it so that they have wiggle room to do things differently from snap to snap.

he's amazing.

20. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Barrett made the same point I was about to make....

Capt. Caveman aka, Eric Winston said Gibbs wanted the guys to (a) read the defenses and pick up tendencies while (b) changing their techniques up enough to prohibit the enemy from picking up tendencies from us.

That sounds like more thinking, not less. I think Gibbs' will have the O-line in More thinking and even MORE doing mode.