This Sunday may be Carr’s last.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Rightnow, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Rightnow

Rightnow Veteran

I’ve been a Carr supporter from day one. I backed him up this year, and seen him improve, but this Sunday may be the end of the line for him here in Houston. The Giants brutalized the Cowboys, in Dallas, and on MNF. They have a great run blocking defense, superb pass rush and a great running game. If they get out to an early lead, Carr will have to throw, and they will pin their ears back and get him. Once again our offensive line is questionable, though this time because of injuries.

I listened to every response from Carr that I could get a hold of to see where he is at mentally. I think last week rattled him too much. He sounded terribly unsure of himself and trying to convince himself to put it behind him and do better. I think he will be ineffective, because he will be worried about coughing up the ball and not throwing picks. So worried, that it makes him timid and he will take extra sacks. This game, on the road, against a tough team will be defining moment in his career. If he is benched again, which is very possible, his days in Houston are most certainly numbered.

I actually feel bad for the guy. I think he will give it 110% this Sunday, but it may not be enough and his career in Houston may soon be over.

I want the Texans to win too, so… Go Carr! Go Texans!!!

2. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

is that a threat?

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

You might want to inform head coach Gary Kubiak of this. I don't think he knows it yet.:rolleyes:

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

David Carr is our QB for the remainder of this year, if not further. I don't know how much clearer Kubiak can be about that.

It doesn't matter what the Giants do, as long as Carr does what Kubiak tells him to do, he is our starter.

Dallas OL is a big weakness they did not want to see. Parcells knows more than anyone that if you're going to ride Bledsoe to the Superbowl, then QB protection is paramount. the Giants wrecking that line isn't as impressive to me as it is to most people.

I feel the same way about Dallas run game.... until they consistently put up good rushing numbers against the Panthers, The Ravens, the Broncos, etc.... I won't believe that JJ is the best rusher in the league........ I won't believe he is even close.

He's gotten most of his yardage agains teams that give up lots of rushing yards.

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Excellent post ! I gotta agree with you, because going to NY to play the
    Giants is just bad timing for DCs "comeback game".
    It would really help Carr if he had a less formidable defense to go up against
    this Sunday. But I'm not sure about playing away ?
    The way things are for him now, if he screws-up in Reliant, local fans would probably boo him mercilessly. In NY they will cheer if he makes a mistake.
    But this has gotta be tough for Dave. You know his psyche has already gotta be traumatized from this whole ordeal.
    I dunno, I don't have any idea what's gonna happen Sunday ? But it might not be very pretty.

6. real

real Guest

I think that's a little extreme....

7. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

I don't feel sorry for him. Produce or else. Enough coddling. We pay money to get fired up about watching a local team win for the city. I think his dad ruined him. Made him think too much out there.

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

LOL! Now we're blaming his dad? Did you forget the :sarcasm: after that?:yikes:

9. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

everybody on this board is doubting "ARE" team, i got faith that there is a chance that we can win, all im gonna say at this point is "ANY GIVEN SUNDAY"

GO TEXANS :redtowel:

10. You know, I kinda agree here that he may be rattled. It really shouldn't matter that it's the "Giants" as most teams in this league are pretty good and have good defenses. You really can't say "well, it's the Giants after all, they are good." No, we just can't have that. We need to beat teams no matter what. Carr has a lot of good weapons and even though we don't have a great offensive line, they are playing beyond themselves and their talent. I give Rosenfels as much credit for his comeback as Carr did the second half of the Indy game, so to me there isn't much to go on. But it is hugely important that Carr have a good game and not make mental mistakes.

11. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

David Carr is officially on notice.

[​IMG]

Yankee_In_TX likes this.
  12. Texanfan4ever

Texanfan4ever All Pro

First of all, benching him might have traumatized him for the moment, but it will only make a guy like him better. He is a fighter, and he totally respects Kubiak, and Kubiak respects him, and it will help him.

Second, Kubiak isn't going to "fire" Carr because the Giants are a great team and get to him. And if they do, and he puts in Sage, they will get to him too. I don't feel we have a mature enough team that can protect any qb right now against the Giants the way they have been playing. But stranger things have happened. I've seen them many times in past years come together when the odds were totally against it and that was with capers, So, with Kubiak, the skies the limit.

Whether anyone likes it or not, Carr is here for the season for sure. He might trade them in and out, but he is not taking his job away from him. He has said so.

I watched the weather this morning and as of today it is supposed to be snowing in New York this weekend. Uhhhh....Could it get any worse?

13. OrangeCountyTexansFan

OrangeCountyTexansFan Veteran

Let's not get too carried away. Playing a team as well balanced as the Giants is a great game for Carr to come back and prove his worth to the team. If he was coming back against scrubs like the Buffalo Bills this year, he would have a great game maybe, but it wouldn't prove that he is buckeled down enough to play with the Big Boys.
    Coming back against New York, in New York, has him having to show his mettle against the big boys right away, which I think is better than getting overconfident against a sub-par team.
    If Carr can play well against the Giants, win or lose, then he will have proven that he needs to remain the starter and the QB to build our offense around. Our offense has gone downhill since the placement of Davis on the IR. I think Carr was counting on Davis to be there this year, and still has not compensated for that. Just my :twocents: .

14. Rightnow

Rightnow Veteran

Yes. This is the perfect test for Carr. If he shines in NY, he is most likely the QB of the future for the Texans. If he falls apart, he is most likely done.

Like I said, this game may be the biggest of Carr's professional career, and a defining moment.

15. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree. Kubiak will start Carr for the rest of the season to evaluate what he has in this QB. The future of Kubiak's plans for this team depend on his confidence in the QB position, and he has to know what Carr is all about before this season is over.

I think Carr is still on the hot seat for potential benching should his play go south during a game, but I will not be surprised if Carr starts every game this season in spite of his performances. This was never going to be a winning season, so Kubiak needs to use it for evaluating key positions on the team.

I can't even begin to predict what we'll see from Carr this weekend, although I think protecting the ball will be his top priority. The Giants will send it, so hope the rest of the offense steps up, protects the QB, and makes the plays they have to make.

16. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I don't foresee Carr having a great game one way or the other, just because of who we are playing. We just need to watch how he responds in critical situations. If we lose the game..... what did you expect? We will have to dissect his gameplay.

The only thing I am watching for is his ball control in the pocket. That is what everyone is concerned about. We know he can throw the deep ball. We know he can go through progression better than last year. We have seen improvement in many aspects of his game. The only concern is that the boy still doesn't know how to hold onto the ball and feel the pressure!

17. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

First, I agree with a lot of your posts, but I'm not too sure about this one-why? Since day one, for whatever reason, I've felt like Carr has been treated by the team like his 'feelings' are walking on 'egg shells.' IMO, this started when it became public that Capers had to explain to David why the Texans drafted Dave Ragone, so Carr would not get the 'wrong idea.'

Then, Kubiak benches Carr on Sunday, but turns around on Monday and almost 'trips' over himself to tell the whole world that Carr is the 'man,' aks the 'franchise.' JMO, but this Monday scenario kinda 'negated' the purpose/anticipated effect/outcome of benching Carr in the first place---almost like Gary was saying, "I'm sorry, David. I shouldn't have benched you...' ...what was up with that?

Like other posters have stated, I believe Sunday's game is going to be a tough one for David. For starters, this game is a 'huge' challenge for Kubiak to devise an 'effective' game plan that a) not only gives the Texans a chance to win but also b) puts Carr in a position to succeed. JMO, but I don't think there is any 'middle' ground in this game for David, where he doesn't play that 'great' or that 'bad.'

By Kubiak saying on many occasions-- how David 'goes,' the team 'goes-the fans should expect to see our 'franchise' QB play like one on Sunday. If not, IMO, we've got a 'credibility' problem and the fans are back to 'square one' wondering 'WHEN' Carr is going to 'finally' be the 'man.'

Tough as 'nails?' Physically, almost like 'superman' but--for Carr, it's his 'mental' game IMO that is the problem...:lightbulb: :brickwall :twocents:

18. GIANTD86

GIANTD86 Rookie

Friendly NY Giant fan here. Who has the stronger arm? Carr or Sage? The reason I'm asking is the winds at the Meadowlands can be brutal and if your starter is a soft tosser, expect to see a lot of picks....if I remember correctly, everbody in Miami loved Sage...for a few games. In my opinion, drafting Mario ahead of one of the QB's could haunt your team for years...forget Reggie...he's going to end up being a bust. Here's to a clean and safe game...good luck to you guys/gals.:redtowel:

19. Texanfan4ever

Texanfan4ever All Pro

I think in New York that only God can help him! Maybe he can become Half God like Chad. LOL

20. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

David has a stronger arm.

I agree with your sentiments on Reggie, but I think we are good at QB for a while. Whether it be Sage or Carr I am confident in both of them. Drafting two QBs within five years with the 1st pick would be kinda bad, IMO.