This loss is possibly a blessing in disguise when it comes to next season

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFight, Dec 21, 2008.

1. TexansFight

TexansFight All Pro

Hear me out. I hate that we lost today. I have been on such a high this week after beating the Titans last Sunday and now the crash sucks.

That being said, this loss should have been the nail in the coffin for the Dick Smith reign of error in Houston. If we had a half decent DC there is no way JaMarcus Russell and their no-name receiving corps would have torched us like they did in the first half. That was embarrassing and we were the ONLY team they lit up like that.

Dick proved that he does not have what it takes for the millionth time and I would hope McNair realizes this and will demand his firing now that a 6 game winning streak is out the window.

Shanahan is in over his head too and should get demoted. Those 3rd and 4th inches play calls in the 4th quarter were atrocious. I HATE our slow developing pass plays in the redzone.

Hire competent coordinators and we will make the playoffs next year. That is more important than a relatively meaningless win.

markn and SeƱor Stan like this.
  2. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I don't see how the guy could keep his job. It just would not make any sense.

I'll tell you what this is not a blessing in disguise. Andre Johnson looked like he was ready to change teams. He has never had a good QB to throw to him. Matt Schaub is not even decent IMO. Makes stupid decision after stupid decision.

3. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Disagree with you there. I think Schaub is a good QB and far above being "decent".

I think Andre Johnson was frustrated by the Raiders D.

4. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

wow, you know I usually wait a day before I post b/c I 'm usually to pissed to think level headed but come the hell on. This was a trap game from the beginning. Everyone knew this going into it and still didn't prepare. Mistakes, alot of mistakes were made today. It happens. It was rainy and piss poor tackling showed for it. The only blessing in disguise that I saw for this game is we will get a better draft pick than I'd origanlly hoped for. Other than that I saw nothing good from this game other than you got beat by a subpar team for not being prepared, take this as a lesson don't get big "dallas" heads and play with heart agains the bears and go out on a high note.

5. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I think Aj was frustrated by the lack of faith in him by our QB, HC and OC.

Who cares if the CB lined up across from him is going to the ProBowl? Throw the damn bubble screen. Let AJ pound him. Instead we punk out and let the vaunted OAK D dicate that the best WR in the league will get 2 damn catches?

That's bunk!

6. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

No, this is a horrible loss for this franchise. Next week against the Bears is not a given - 7-9 after the Packers/Titans games would be terribly disappointing.

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

He won't. You'll know when McNair has had enough when he hires a consultant.
    He won't be. And why do the coordinators always get the blame, when every offensive and defensive call goes through Gary Kubiak's headphones?

8. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Hopefully it means more tickets available for next week, hopefully at a cheaper cost. :)

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

I knew there was a reason I never come to the MB on game days. Holy over reaction responses Batman (directed generally, not specifically).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
    Marcus likes this.
  10. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Rep comin.

PapaL likes this.
  11. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Ya think. Some folks must hit themselves in the chin with their knee every Sunday. Kind of funny sometimes to watch them spaz out.

12. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

All you've got to do is watch Weaver and Greenwood stumble and bumble around for a game. It ain't the coach. What it is is a whole lot of people highly over valuing the defensive talent on this football club. The Raiders ain't this good.

Same old problems....send five or six no one gets there. No one.

13. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

So far the raider's DBs have Randy Moss', Tony Gonzales', Brandon Marshall's and now A.J.'s & Walter's scalp hanging in their tee pee. It wasn't an accident. Wasn't an anomaly...Just good DB's doing what they were supposed to do.

drewmar74 likes this.
  14. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

I don't care who you are, if you are the best cover corner in the game, you're going to change the way the opposing team plays. That dude basically shuts down half the field because he's that good.

THAT'S what it looks like to have a shutdown corner. They are few and far between, but they can and do shut down whoever they are covering. I would throw buckets of money at that guy.

15. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

It will only make minor differences there will only really realistically be a 2, perhaps 3 maximum change in places in the draft depending on the last two games.

No, the only blessing is that it was a later kickoff, thus midnight by the end of the game in England, and thus too late to have a depressed Texans drink, thus saving my liver any more pre-christmas abuse. And even then, a blessing? No...I'm just sober and dissappointed.

16. superdave532

superdave532 Rookie

I was at the game today and even managed to sneak down to the 2nd row of seats right behind the Texans' bench.. there's another thread saying that the team was just flat today and that's exactly what the case was.

Point fingers all you want, truth is the Raider's defense actually stepped up today. AJ playing like he wanted to be on another team? Please. Nnamdi Aso..Asum..Ashoblahblah was like a blanket on him all day, he played terrific and Johnson just had one of those (rare) off days.

The last pick Schaub threw was an absolute gift, I swear to God I could see the red ribbon tied around it from where I was sitting as he handed it to Oakland, but that doesn't really matter because the game was over at the point and he was just trying to make something happen.

I really hope this rekindles all the Sage vs. Schaub psycho-babble that this forum has been missing during the four game win streak, because I really miss those good laughs provided by all of the people who really don't know what they're talking about.

The Texans got beat by a team that REALLY wanted to win today, and sometimes that just happens. I'd be pissed if we had something to play for other than a 9 win season, but in reality we don't. So let's just hope we beat the crap out of the Bears next week and have a safe, great game to close out the year!

YoungTexanFan and BuffaloglennTX like this.
  17. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Very well said. Rep to you.

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Kubiak did mention he was not satisfied with practices all week. I think this one is more on the players. sorry :specnatz:

19. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

The Texans got beat by a team that REALLY wanted to win today, and sometimes that just happens. I'd be pissed if we had something to play for other than a 9 win season, but in reality we don't. So let's just hope we beat the crap out of the Bears next week and have a safe, great game to close out the year![/QUOTE]

That is exactly what we saw here last week against the Titans.

Next week is a huge game for this team/franchise.

20. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

That is exactly what we saw here last week against the Titans.

Next week is a huge game for this team/franchise.[/QUOTE]

I was kind of waiting for that, every game is the biggest game of the franchise.