This is why I love Kubiak and Smith

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DocBar, Apr 2, 2008.

1. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5667114.html
    After all the "What is Sage Worth" and all, the Texans front office answered us unambiguously. If it doesn't make us a better team, we aren't doing it. Kubes and Smith aren't about making deals for the sake of making deals and headlines. They are about making the Texans a better team. A lot of us got soured by the former regime's propensity for signing a second tier player for firt tier)or above) money because of a "name", then playing the guy regardless of production. "Smithiak" has shown every indication of being abobe that and targeting specific needs within the budget restraints and signing the best player within those restraints. I have loved our offseason to date. We've made good signings that will help the team without putting us un salary cap hell. We haven't made any huge splashes, but we've been solid. If we have a solid draft along the lines of our past two drafts, we should be in position to compete for a wild card slot in '08. IMHO. McNair struck oil AND gold with Kubiak and Smith.

Texans_Chick likes this.
  2. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

i love that you have a GM and head coach working so well together to benefit this team, but i really wanted another pick on the first day! :wild:

also, did you catch this in the other article?

Kubiak weighs needs ahead of NFL draft

:gun: lets see how long the chron keeps this up

3. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

1st rd Pass rusher? Really?

The two that will be left are merling and harvey. Like em both. Merlings a little bigger so he might hold up against the run better.

Both should be a available plus or minus 2 picks.

Any Takers?

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

After reading the Chronicle article this morning, I certainly feel a lot better from Kubiac's comments. I'm waiting for their second draft together, but so far I'm a firm believer that Kubiac and Smith will take us to the promised land.

Plus, being the Sage supporter that I am, that article obviously makes me feel good. LOL

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

John McClain written article and no quotes from Rick Smith.

6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Seriously, the only difference between this an all of the other pre-draft articles is that a pass rusher was included in the mix.

7. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

""We have (three) right-handed quarterbacks (Matt Schaub, Sage Rosenfels and Quinn Gray). Look who we play in our division - Dwight Freeney (Colts) and Kyle Vanden Bosch (Titans) twice a year. You better be good at protecting the quarterback."
    That's a pretty dang explicit expression of Kubiaks concern about getting somebody who can address their need at this position over the long-term.
    For the first time I think I'm of the opinion that if they are really high on a particular LT and think they have to move up to get him or he'll be gone at #18, they might make a real effort to do a deal.

8. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

It has been fixed.

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Kubes mentioned CB, RB and LT as well as DE. Nothing new on first three and we at least know those three will be addressed unless a DE is there unexpectedly. We just don't know what round the CB,RB and LT will be selected in. A 2 would be nice on draft day.

10. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

I won't believe anything that comes out of any NFL Player/Coach/GM/Owner until after the draft.

And then only half.

I don't currently know which half.

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

You want to win, you gotta control the LOS. You addressed it on the defensive side, now's time to address it on the offensive side.

12. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

I'm not following your line of reasoning on moving up, can you elaborate? There are about 4-5 OTs that could go in the 1st round. If are RT is the prototype, then looking at someone w/ his skills/demeanor and LT body should lead us to players we may be targeting.

Guys like Long, Clady and Williams probably go before our pick. So maybe we're looking hard at Otah, Baker, Cherilus, etc. Baker seems a lot like Eric Winston and Otah seems to have some Spencer in him. I'd really like to address LT this year, so I hope we get the guy we want,

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

With what? The Texans only have 5 picks in the draft (tied for fewest). With the Rosenfels deal extinguished, they don't have the ammo to move up if they wanted.

14. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I think there would've been a nice oppurtunity with the third we could've garnered for Sage.

I do think McNair is a bit off to say Schaub and Sage 1 and 1A. It'd be different if we have a situation like Cleveland where both QBs are young with still lots of upside in Anderson and Quinn. We have one starter and one capable backup. I'm okay to leave it at that.

15. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

We may get lucky this draft. We will never be in a poition to take one in the top half of the first round of a draft.

The spotless guy is always going to be just out of reach. Whomever they take...past the first three rounds... will have some warts on him. Doesn't mean it can't work. If all three top propects for his system, Williams , Claddy and now I believe alberts.... are off the board @ 18, it makes sense to bang the CB hole. If Gibbs can find someone he can work with in the second day, fine. Just really bothers me to spend this much capitol on QBs and not do your best as a franchise to protect them. I posted last year this is the draft the second round picks we gave for MS would come back to hunt the franchise... I can think of nothing worse than to watch four or five o-lineman go off the board while the Texans are left one more draft wiffing...tring to plug the Bosselli black hole. It's come to point it isn't just bad luck...it's lack of will.

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

The Texans have their own internal rankings of players like any team right ?
    Of all the O tackles out there, hypothetical speaking of course, lets say that Chris Williams is their highrest rated LT and they even have him rated #4overall on the Board. And as Kubiak admits in this article, LT is one of their biggest needs, both short-term and more importantly over the long-term.
    OK, here's the scenario: they are sitting there at #18 and the team with the
    15th pick is about ready to select and to the Texans surprise Williams is still on the Board and they also know both teams picking between them & 15 want Williams real bad. If they can move up to 15 by throwing in their third-rounder even though that would leave them with only a 4th, 5th , & 7th rounder, should they make that move ? I would in a heart-beat.

17. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

I'm pretty much with vinny on ohat. Except for the fact that McNeil, who I conider simular to Ohtah, turned out to be prety fair OT. The ony way they'd Baker or Cherlilus is with move down, far from a sure thing. Hello King Dunlap -tony Hills. What's that guy from Toledoe's name ?

"We're not interested in getting rid of Sage," McNair said. "Somebody would have to value him much more highly than we do, and so far, it hasn't happened."

Which means if Minnie would of thrown in the other three...sage would be the strater for them by the forth game.

18. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

More likely would be trading something from next year's draft- like a 2 in order to move up 3 or 4 spots. With the needs of the team and the depth of this draft, I seriously doubt they get rid of their 3 middle round picks, regardless of the situation.

19. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

Ok, got it. I really doubt we'll give up our 3rd and if any of the pre-draft mocks are close we'd need to get up before DEN and CAR for Williams...our third probably won't do it.

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

The scenario I've suggested certainly isn't the most likely. We're just talking here, killing time during the offseason.