This is where Rick Smith shines - UDA's

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by the wonger need food, Apr 30, 2007.

1. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

If you haven't had a chance to see the list of UDA's check it out.... http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4761678.html

JZ grabs the headline, but look for 2 players on this list to make our final roster.

1.) Enoka Lucas - Strong, athletic and smart. Much more so than Drew Hodgdon. He makes the roster this year as a backup possibly making Flanagan expendable.

2.) John Abatte - Look up football player on Wikipedia and there is a picture of this guy. Not really, but all the intangibles are there. He should make the roster as a replacement for Troy Evans. Will be a special teams stalwort for years to come.

JZ, Onrea Jones and Brandon Mitchell have a good chance at making the practice squad.

This is the area where Rick Smith and his staff are going to shine and build the core of this team.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

OH man..... I love Zabransky.

Someone explain to me how this practice squad thing works again.... If we put Zabransky on the practice squad, would other teams be able to sign him??

I'm not ready to have a Schaub, Rosenfels, & Zabransky as our depth... I'd rather hold onto Van Pelt for another year at least.

Now Plummer, Sage & Zabransky, I could have gone for that.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

It would be better for us, if we don't see Lucas at all this year. If he's as you say he is, then Kubiak will take his time with him on the practice squad this year, ease him into the line-up next year, and he'll anchor the position for 10 years to come.

4. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

brandon mitchell has a decent shot at being a backup FS at least....

plus the punter looks to have a decent shot also

and TK- yeah other teams could sign him but they'd have to give him a 53 man roster place

5. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

Can't you send a player to NFL Europe and retain his rights?

6. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

TK! Glad to see you finally made over here man... I left you a PM on the HT boards because I hadn't seen you here, and didn't know if you knew what was going on here.
    I left PMs for 7 people, and in the last 5 days none of them has even been read... man the PM system on the software is horrible.

(*edit* I just went and looked at my outgoing PMs on the other board and saw that the one I sent you had been viewed once. Did you read it?)

To answer your question about the practice squad, another team can sign one of our PS guys, but they have to put him on their active roster, and if I'm not mistaken, they must keep him on it for the entire year.

7. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Two years ago, the Jaguars tried to sign Kenneth Pettway from our practice squad and he denied the opportunity. We did play him eventually, though I'm sure he's long gone.

8. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

Sign Leonard Peters And Ramonce Taylor Please

9. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

lol guess where he plays now . . .

Anyways, Im a big fan of Cory Anderson getting picked up as a UDFA. This guy is a powerful blocker and can catch out of the backfield. The complaint about him is that he isn't much of a runner. In other words, he fits our mold at FB perfectly.

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

They do have to put the player on the 53 man roster. But, he is only guaranteed 3 weeks on the roster. If released after the 3 weeks, the player is on waivers. Once cleared, he can choose to sign with any team's practice squad.

I agree that this is a fantastic group of undrafted free agents. Zabransky is a good fit for this offense. And he'll be running the scout team offense, which will help simulate the faster QBs the Texans will face this season. Deljuan Robinson is actually a 295 lb DT, who had open heart surgery before entering college. Really stepped up his game as a senior with 12.5 TFL. Derrick Roberson put up some freakish numbers in postseason workouts, and could push for a roster spot if he excels on special teams during the preseason.

[​IMG]

11. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Just noticed this about Wilbur, the Punter we're bringing in for a tryout:

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Wilbur averaged 42.9 ypp for his career. Last season, he put 26 punts inside the 20, with only 3 touchbacks.

I want Wilbur to win the punting job for 2 reasons. One, Stanley has been a terrible punter the last two seasons. Two, I want to be able to yell "Willlllllburrrrrrr" everytime the punt team come out. Big Mr. Ed fan.

13. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Roberson and/or Jones and/or Richardson could all become the special teams stand-outs, esp. at gunner, some of us hoped Kendrik Starling would become.

DeGrate played OLB for two years, before moving to DE at Oklahoma State. Guy might have a little something when it comes to rushing the QB.

Mitchell reminds me alot of John Walker, low experience, good size, good numbers and practice squad material this year.

14. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

LOL!

I like Stanley (loyalty), but the best man wins the job.
    If Wilbur has a good showing, I will have to say sorry to Chad.

15. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

What do you all think about signing Gary Russell? HE was out of shape, but put him on the practice squad for a season, and then maybe to Europa and I think he could be pretty special.

16. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Hell no to Ramonce Taylor. I don't want that thug on our team.

17. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

typical ignorance from a texans fan

RT is done with drugs, and the bag wasnt even his in the first place

18. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Maybe but when he had a chance, and showed up to his private session before UT's pro day fat and out-of-shpe it shows that there are reasons to still be concerned.

19. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

it never is...

20. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

How many chances did he have to clean his act up?