This "complicated" offense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TripleTap, Feb 9, 2017.

1. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

That was a most educational read. Thanks!!

2. TxnsJuggernaut

TxnsJuggernaut All Pro

A coach who is not too set on his own ways with an understanding of his talent can see whether he has to make some changes that best utilize that talent that he has. If the coaches original system does not fit the pieces than a the coach should learn how to get the best out of his players.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Dude you cant squeeze blood out of a turnip ....

Nothing in sports is more debilitating to a team than bad quarterback play , OB is seriously handcuffed by said bad quarterback play.

No amount of tweaking the offense is going to hide Brock Osweiler's ineptitude.

All OB has had since he got get was journeymen and trash at the QB spot .... and he's outperformed it each year (And I am far from an OB fan so consider this high praise) getting 9-7 out of those journeymen and trash QB's three years in a row.
    The best he's had to operate with is Hoyer and Fitzy .... Hell , I'd like to see what he could do with just an average quarterback instead of the hot garbage he's had to work with these three seasons.

JB likes this.
  4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    But how much is on him for those crap QB's being here? I'm thinking that maybe Clowney was forced on him so he couldn't get the QB his first draft. No one good enough his second. And Os forced on him

ObsiWan likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I don't know if they forced Clowney and Osweiler on him or not .... Quite possible.

I don't know who he would have wanted out of that draft .... and other than Bortles & Manziel they could have had Clowney and any quarterback he wanted. BottledWater went one pick ahead of them and HWWNBMv2.0 went 3 spots after they took XSF & JimmyG went three picks ahead of them picking Fido. Any of those guys could have been had with little expenditure of resources ....

Did he think he could win big with Fitzy & Hoyer .... or that he could get a competent quarterback in the draft later ? Was Savage his guy all along ?!

All I know is that this team is still , after 3 seasons desperate for a competent quarterback .... I just hope that they don't make a mistake with the next one like they did with the current one.

I think they almost have to draft one early this season .... Don't know if they would make a move up for one of top 3 , I'd be happy if they could land either Trubisky or Kizer but doubt that either make it past the 12th pick .... where QB's go to die. Not big on Watson or Mahomes.

thunderkyss likes this.
  6. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Yes poor little Bill O'Brien who just WANTS SO MANY THINGS for this team but has been HELD BACK by big bad pushy upper management.

.....gimme a ******* break.

disaacks3, santo, ObsiWan and 2 others like this.
  7. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I totally disagree.

Fitzpatrick went on to the Jets and posted a 10-6 record in a division that includes the Pats while the Bills and Dolphins combined for 14-18..
    O' Brien severely handcuffed Fitz, trying to reign in his mistakes.

Hoyer was 10-6 in Cleveland, a place where QBS go to die.
    Let that sink in for a moment.
    He didn't even have Alex Mack for the majority of the second year.
    And quick, quick, try to name one of his weapons.
    Also, I'm sure you don't realize that the Browns won just one game that Hoyer didn't start in those two years.
    The AFC north had 3 teams that won 10 or more games in Hoyer's second season, and none with a losing record both years.
    Hoyer directed at least 6 fourth quarter comeback.

The AFC south has been the weakest division in the NFL the last 3 years.

So please don't tell me about 9-7s when the Texans were good for a few blow out losses every year and the offense scored fewer and fewer points each year.

The Texans ranked 28th in point scoring last year only because the bottom feeder four had nothing to play for in the second half of the year.
    That's a total disgrace.

TxnsJuggernaut and santo like this.
  8. TxnsJuggernaut

TxnsJuggernaut All Pro

If there is a fair competition this upcoming season we shall see what is what.

You probably are right in regards to bad Qb play but running up the middle on first and second downs and getting less than 3 yards a carry is not a matter of not having faith in your quarterbacks it is plumb ignorant. As well as the Wr's running the same routes on nearly every play and Os passing for less than 5 YPA.

I get it, Os sucked, but I don't give O'b a free ride for all of it.

GG called the shots the season before last as a true OC and the offense was much better.

All I want to see is a fair training camp and preseason for whoever our quarterbacks are. Also in that battle I want to see how O'b calls the preseason games.

As far as a fair Qb competition next season I will have no dog in that hunt. I want the best man to have the job.

That being said I think Os can be much better than we saw from him last season. That is just me though.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Hoyer's issue is that he's scared now. Before Cleveland, yeah he might have turned into a good QB. Now, you have no chance of winning with him because he just wants to get the ball out of his hands. Good decisions have left his wheel house.

10. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan All Pro

This offense finally resembled something close to the O'Brien vision when Savage got the start. I think Savage has the best grasp of this offense but has not had any real opportunities to run with it. Texans biggest blunder during the O'Brien era.....no OL!!! No real running game and TE's that were only there in body only. Give Savage an OL, a RB who commands some respect from defenses and TE's that can take the seams out of a defense and then...and only then do the Texans fans finally get to see how this offense is supposed to executed. The defense might actually enjoy watching it as well instead of preparing for 3 and outs the majority of the time.