This "complicated" offense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TripleTap, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

76Texan has a very thorough explanation of the offense O'Brien runs. Can't remember which thread.

2. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Just another thought on this, I feel the difficulty Os found in dealing with this playbook actually led to him making far too many calls at the LOS.

It's easier for D's to decipher what's being called at the LOS than with just the formation to go off. And also it keys them in to a relatively small number of plays they know Os is comfortable with. All this helped them cheat towards what was coming and we saw a large number of plays break down or go the other way because of this.

There was that deep sideline throw to Jaelen Strong about quarter of the way through the season that was called with a subtle hand signal. After that point D's seemed to latch on to the need to shut down the LOS adjustments and completely nullified the one thing Os had some success with early on.

3. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

It's not complicated, all the offense has to do is get into FG range every drive. Simple. That's the O'Brien FG Offense in a nutshell

4. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

This "complicated" offense consists in handing the ball to the RB for 2 yards over left guard on 2nd & 10. It's become very predictable.
    It's a 2-edged sword. You can have a few plays and execute them perfectly, or lots of plays and catch the D napping if you can run them.

5. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

It's not even about how complicated the plays, formations, derivations, and adjustments at the line at . Seems like a QB like OS who doesn't go through his reads properly or make good decisions needs an offense with less or easier reads. But hey OS is just one overpaid measly underperforming QB, why change it all for him.

Looking at how the season progressed, they probably simplified it more than we know which is why the offense looked so predictable.

It was like one of those new smart tests that asks easier or harder questions based on whether you get the question right or wrong, by season's end the offense was 1+1=?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Might have been "complicated" 3 years ago but it really just sucks and that's what it is.

TxnsJuggernaut likes this.
  7. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

The Broncos ran a West Coast Offense under Shanahan and Kubiak. That's the system they have won their 3 SB's with. Not sure what they will run under the new regime.

As for the Texans, well, I guess they do run a modified version of the Ernhardt-Perkins system, but then again, the Patriots run a modified version also. Came across this article from 2013 that is a good, but long, read that explains a lot of what the Ernhardt-Perkins system and the other 2 systems (West Coast and Air Coryell) are that most NFL teams use.

http://grantland.com/features/how-t...helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

The Ernhardt-Perkins system, to me, works really well only when you have the right QB in place. Is Brock or Savage the right QB? Will it take time to develop one of them, hopefully, into a Brady like QB, and is that what BOB wanted to do with Brock but now wants to move on to another QB?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    ObsiWan likes this.
  8. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Keep it Movin!

All of patriots wrs are ex pr/kr. All they run are option routes and angle routes. Everybody and their mama know Brady cant throw breaking out routes, yet, his wrs get in the middle of the field and break tackles. If you want rac yds on shorter routes, you must have those guys with kr/pr in their background. Or find a freak like Thomas of Denver.

thunderkyss likes this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I sure as hell hope not .... They could develop those two clowns until judgement day ands they still wouldn't add up to the lint in Brady's pocket. It's time to move on .... for better or worse , and I really don't think it can get much worse than the worst starting QB in the league.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    We had Keenum last year? :kitten:

11. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I don't really see how it's difficult. Having gone back and watched a number of games, it comes down to the QB making basic reads and basic throws. We aren't asking the QB to do a lot after the snap, maybe pre-snap, but even then it's hard to say what's being asked.

Bottom line, this offense creates opportunities and they just were not exploited by the QB. If the QB can make some basic throws, the offense can do more and take more risks, but until then it is about as simple as it gets.

Speedy likes this.
  12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

From what I understand, the QB and the Wr's have to make the same read on the play which will be different depending on the defense. That's part of the problem IMO

thunderkyss likes this.
  13. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I have no idea if that is true on alot of routes, it seems to me that it's only happening a small percentage of the time, but even if it is happening often there are a number of problems with it.

1: guys are open so the receiver made the right decision and the QB is not. That's a big statement because most of the receivers are not experienced, whereas the QB had more games played in the NFL and more games observing, as he was a 5th year vet.

2: if that's a big part of the offense, having mostly rookie or second year receivers was not a smart choice.

I think all these questions will come to an end once there is a competent QB at the helm. Brock was really bad and that's all that we really have to say. Obviously, if the QB is bad it changes everything on offense. We haven't even seen what OB is capable of at this point.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    thunderkyss and JB like this.
  14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I agree with all that but will we ever have a competent Qb?

15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I don't give a **** if it's complicated or not, whatever the hell it is it doesn't work.

JB likes this.
  16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Sometimes even ancient eye see with clarity

thunderkyss likes this.
  17. Scooter

Scooter Funky

edit.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I agree with every thing in this post, especially #2, but I don't think it's either/or. I think all of it piled on top of each other to make a bad situation worse. Some times the receiver was right, some times the QB was right. Too many times the receiver or the QB was wrong. Sometimes the protection didn't hold up. Some times a questionable hold away from the play negated a big play. Sometimes the play calling was gutless because the OC didn't know what to do, or he didn't trust the QB to do what needed to be done.

TxnsJuggernaut and JB like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Keenum was arguably better than Os on a much worse team .... Completion percentage - 60.9 / 59 , Yards per pass 6.8 / 5.8 , QBR 76.4 / 72.2

Hell Os was able to make DHop look like an average WR instead of the top 5 guy he appeared to be with scrubs like Hoyer & Fitzpatrick chucking balls his direction.

20. TripleTap

TripleTap Dead Wood

One of the things I'm wondering is What's the sense of forcing this offense on a team that is ill-prepared in terms of personnel, experience, QB, etc? May be a damn fine offense at NE with Brady and those scrappy underprivileged receivers, but here we got nothing at QB, at least one maybe 2 "fancy" receivers and not so many scrappy types (ex-returners), and about zed in terms of experience.

I'm thinking the punishment ought fit the crime.

And Big Bill Broonzy been pushing this O for how many years now?