This "complicated" offense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TripleTap, Feb 9, 2017.

1. TripleTap

TripleTap Dead Wood

I hate to bring everybody down, but could someone knowledgeable explain the basics about why and how this offense is supposedly so "complicated"?

I mean, it doesn't look all that complicated on the field, at least to this untutored eye. So I wonder if it really is all that "complicated" compared to other NFL offenses.

All details and explanation would be helpful. Also, why is this complexity valuable in the NFL? And if it's so valuable, why don't most teams run it or something similar?

Or is this "complicated" business just a load (or half-a-load) of hooey?

And PS: If this is already explained in detail elsewhere on or off this board, I'd appreciate direction or link.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

What's so complicated about three yards and a cloud of dust ?!

What's so complicated about running a 4 yard route on third and 7 ..... And your QB throws the ball to the other team ?!

mussop and powda like this.
  3. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

You're dismissing the high levels creativity necessary to invent new & different ways to fail every week.
    I mean is it three yards up the middle? Is is a reverse? ...a pitch out?
    is the pass a quick slant into the teeth of the defense where the WR has no chance for RAC?
    is it a button hook or quick out?

give a little credit where credit is due.
    :D

Corrosion, powda and DBCooper like this.
  4. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

From what I've read it seems to be the language of the offense that is complicated, and the fact that there are any number of reads to be taken pre and post snap by each member of the receiving group, each of which requires the QB to view the field and make the same read at the same time sans communication.

It actually sounds like a recipe for disaster to me, especially when you start injecting in a load of inexperienced/rookie players expecting them to all be on the same page from day one.

I prefer the old Kubiak method of clever route patterns scheming open less physically gifted receivers and leaving the QB to make sound decisions to move the chains.

It speaks volumes to me that Andre Johnson didn't look to good in this system. If you are scheming AJ to look normal, then you don't have a good scheme IMHO.

5. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

And please don't forget the 3 yard pass over the middle to the TE when it is 3rd down and 9!
    And the inevitable draw play on 3rd and 17. Because those plays are so complicated the D won't ever be able to cover it!

6. Mangler

Mangler Veteran

I find it hard to believe that a guy that had the smarts to be accepted to Notre Dame would have a hard time learning a playbook. I'm starting to think our scout team on the offense side just isn't very good.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Crue

The most complicated thing about this offense is trying to find the GOAT in the 4th round or later.

ROO, powda and 76Texan like this.
  8. banned1976

banned1976 American

It takes a highly skilled and talented QB to properly throw the complicated 7 yard fumble.

thunderkyss likes this.
  9. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm sure AJ's age had nothing to do with that or the fact that he was complete toast the very next season when he ran to the Titans.

10. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I guess some here believe it's a load of hooey, or a half load anyway, and to tell you the truth, I haven't made up my mind yet.

From what I understand, and I could be totally wrong on this, the reason the Offense is so complicated is because of the number of plays in the play book, not that the plays are complicated themselves. BOB has said before that his Offense plays to the weaknesses of the other team's Defense. So, instead of running a particular Offense, lets say for example a "West Coast Offense" with a "Zone Blocking" scheme like we had under Kubes, and having the Defense know and practice for that, BOB's Offense will use plays that target the other teams defensive weaknesses. So, his playbook will have plays from all different kinds of Offenses and they will pick and choose what plays they think will work best against the Defense they are playing against. I guess in theory it sounds good but I just don't think we've seen it work as well in practice for the Texans. One of the big reasons why is that BOB doesn't have his "Tom Brady" to QB the team. Someone who has been there for years, knows all the plays, and can make corrections at the LOS when needed. JMO.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    MightyTExan likes this.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

To the bold - There is much of that in Kubiak's offense as well .... The real differences are in the lack of those clever route combinations that get guys open and not having a quarterback that can make basic throws on target ....

The real QB guru left the building ..... then went and won a title with the scrub QB we have currently playing a large role in their season.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    welsh texan likes this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

You forget that the guy that Belecheat had before Brady was 1:1 ?? (Drafted by Parcells) Bledsoe had them in the SuperBowl in 1996 .... and helped them reach Brady's first taking over late in the AFC Championship game against the Steelers - leading them on the winning drive.

I don't care if they find the GOAT in the 27th round ..... I just want them to identify a guy who doesn't suck , I'm tired of Suck QB's ..... 9 of them in a row.

13. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

Kubiak-Shanahan -Offense - proven success on many teams, copied and repeated by several teams, been around for a long time, whats the OB offense technically called, its a two last name hyphenated name, one of the more learned commenters probably know it. How many teams use it? How long has it been used? and how successful has it been?

14. Texansphan

Texansphan All Pro

Texans run a modified version of the Ernhardt-Perkins system.
    Not a whole bunch of teams use it - Patriots, Panthers, Broncos, Chargers, Steelers and Giants.
    Most seem to favour a West Coast offense.
    This system has won 9 of the last 15 SB's.

15. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Except no one has ever seen it do that.

ROO, santo and thunderkyss like this.
  16. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

So basically the Pats, Giants, and Steelers have won SB's with it, Tom Brady and Big Ben really skew the data on this one. I wonder what are the most QB friendly systems, one's with less reads and decision making required. I know Kubiak's offense was very easy on the QB's they had few reads typically, god know OS needs as little as possible.

17. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

I think a fair amount of our offensive players are as athletic as the pats offense.

However, i'd love to see a wonderlic comparison. Im just to lazy to make that effort.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

It was only complicated to Os.

Fitz/Hoyer had career yrs in BOB's offense.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Crue

But they had pretty shtty careers.

ROO likes this.
  20. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

They weren't careers in this system.