Things you’d like to see going forward...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by otisbean, Sep 11, 2018.

1. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

I’d love to see a base defense with Watt, Reader and Clowney on DL with Whitney, Cole, Cunningham and McKinney at SOLB. This gets our best front seven on the field imho.

During nickel I’d replace Reader with Covington.

Against run heavy teams like Jax I’d like to see a 4-3 front of Watt and Clowney at end with Covington and Reader inside with Whitney, McKinney and either Cunningham or Cole at wlb

I’d like to see any other CB then KJo.

I’d like to see more 2 TE sets. I want to see what the 2 Jordans can do. Plus I’d like to see the TEs chip on edge rushers to help our young OTs

In 3 WR sets I’d like to see the backs and TEs chipping on the edge rushers as well

Also props to Miller, Blue and Ervin for their performances at NE. Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come

Go Texans!

OptimisticTexan and TejasTom like this.
  2. Max

Max All Pro

BoB to pull his head out of his ass.

3. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

More play action

Corrosion and Earl34 like this.
  4. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Can't play action when we don't establish the run to begin with.

Seegara, Earl34 and Mr teX like this.
  5. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Commitment to running the ball. Much quicker routes, ball has to come out quick with this line. A new head coach that understands clock management.

Earl34 likes this.
  6. Max

Max All Pro

I'd really like to start a thread called 'Why didn't any of us think of that - BoB's a genius'. But here we are again trying to come up with ideas for how BoB should 'do his job'. It's getting tiresome -- not directed at you otisbean, just reflecting on where we're at w/ BoB.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  7. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Did we watch different games? Run game was the only thing we had success with. 34 carries 167 yards 4.9 ypc. Miller was hair under 5.0 ypc and Blue was well over.

8. nytexan

nytexan Veteran

I agree with you, I don't have a clue what he was talking about. Not only more play action but roll outs off of it too would help IMO. I don't think Watson's strength is in the pocket and I understand you don't want him running the ball often but roll him out to buy him some time couldn't have hurt.

Bull Durham and TheKDog like this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

I’d like to see more winning going forward.

10. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

I just want to see more of the TE's. Specifically, the TE's running up the seam wide ass open! Ok, Griffin was open on that one play, but like you said, he drafted 2 of them, let's use them!

11. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Id like to see more McKinney blowing up the middle runs. I'd like to see more Colvin and Reid on defense. I'd like to see less RPO bullshit. More designed runs for Deshaun (GAAAAASP!!) in order to free up the defense. If you dont have to fear Watson running, then all they need to do is clog the box. Without field stretchers in Fuller or Coutee then its easy to stop the Texans. Wait for the dive play on the first 2 downs and then the 8 yard curl. PUNT.

Its only week 2 though so still in my Zen mode.

Double Barrel likes this.
  12. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Yeah on that 1 drive in the 3rd........when we committed to it for that drive. We didn't commit to it the entire game is what i think he means.

dream_team and NastyNate like this.
  13. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

That RPO bullshit is what Watson lit Seattle up with last year so i don't have a problem with that...I just think Watson has to take what's in front of him & stop looking for the homerun ball like he was in this past game.

Max likes this.
  14. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

And it also caused the opening fumble THIS WEEK. Either pass it or throw it, no need for all the smoke and mirrors, the NFL has caught up to the RPO and wildcat .. JET formations are only still in use because of the ridiculously fast and gifted skill players, but a decent DC will scheme to minimize the damage from those gimmick offenses.

Double Barrel and Mr teX like this.
  15. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Smart clock management

TejasTom and PapaL like this.
  16. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

I'd like to see Will Fuller stay healthy and catch the ball. My friend already calls him a bust. I always defend Fuller and point to his potential when he's healthy. But at some point even I'm going to lose patience with him if he can't stay on the field and help the team win games.

17. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

If I’m not mistaken, the Eagles killed the Patriots with tons of RPO in the SB. I felt like we were watching the Clemson offense in the first have and it seemed like everything took too long to develop. In the SB the RPOs seemed to happen quicker then what we were trying to do. I liked what I saw in the second half offensively much better. We definitely had guys open that unfortunately DW missed. I’ll give BOB credit for that, but as others have mentioned repeatedly, I’d also like to see competent clock management

OptimisticTexan, NastyNate and Mr teX like this.
  18. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

I think Fuller will be really good. Hopefully the medical staff can get him on the field.

19. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

When used correctly, RPO's are just fine. Cam & the Panthers have been running it for years now....SB run. And as Otisbean pointed, Philly used tons of it in their run to the SB. The RPO play itself didn't cause the fumble, WATSON DID....... b/c he was indecisive with what he wanted to do. Something that seemed to be the theme of the day for him.

20. Max

Max All Pro

We removed the backfield motion and rollouts that worked great last year and a lot of the rpo was under center in the NE game and worked to get the ball to DHop in the seam. The only time I saw us with the backfield motion was the time that Romo pointed it out. The problem I have with removing the backfield motion and rollouts is that it's hampering Watson's ability to escape bad blocking by asking him to stay in a traditional pocket and you also can't pull one of those motion plays randomly and if it doesn't work give up on it. They're designed to be built on each other (last time we did this with this look, but this time we're doing something different). So yes, I'd like to go back to the same offense we were running last year. Teams have film now, but make them prove that they can stop it instead of overthinking things and giving up on it because you're guessing that they'll stop it.

Bull Durham, NastyNate, PapaL and 3 others like this.