Theres something about Reggie

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by F-minus67, Apr 26, 2006.

1. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

I'm all for drafting Reggie, but has anyone else noticed that when ever he is asked about the city of Houston all he ever does is talk about how Texas has no state sales tax? I mean it just seems a little weird to me that he never has anything to say about the city where he might spend the next 5 to 6 years of his life.

2. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

They call him Reggie Bu$h in another thread.

FWIW, I doubt he's even been to Texas, so that's probably the only thing he knows about it.

3. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Really? How many times has he said it, or is the same quote being hashed and rehashed?

I admit I watch very, very few interviews of the draft prospects.

4. Mr. White

I only heard of him saying it once....in the interview after the USC Pro Day.

5. Runner

I have some sad news. From what I've heard, the majority of players are in it for the money. If they could make the same money doing something else, they would.

Edited to add: I'm going to throw an "IMO" on here.

6. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Actually, I think you mean state INCOME tax (I'm sure that's what you meant to say) and, really, I would feel the same way if I were him. Let's face it, Houston is hot, muggy, and full of chemical plants, muddy bayous, and mosquitos. The people are nice, but he probably doesn't know that for sure yet. Other than those things, it's a big city like most of them. We shouldn't expect athletes to make up reasons to like whatever city they're going to be playing in. It's another bone-headed question asked by the media just to get sound-bites for those of us who just want to hear the new hero speak.

Sorry about sounding so negative. It's just that I don't think anyone should judge the guy based on his answers to what I consider stupid and completely irrelevant questions, but I know that some people inevitably will, especially if they are among the least intelligent of the VY supporters.

7. Mr. White

Aw come on... they don't do it to help out the community? lol

8. Runner

Nor the "fun" of "playing" the "game".

9. texplayer2

texplayer2 Veteran

What would you have him say? He probably hasn't spent to much time here in Texas yet. And every time he opens the paper, city Leaders are screaming for Vince Young on full page ads. I think if he is successful with the Texans the city will become his home, it takes time. He will be motivated, because football is his job and he will be getting paid alot to do that job. Same with anyone of these prospects at the top.

10. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Wow, you don't have an income tax? Thats awesome!

But I have seen him say that on the best damn sports show period, sportscenter, on of espn's draft special and in some random interview.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I doubt very seriously that Reggie Bush knows what a mosquito is.... or if he understands the nuisance they really are in this part of the country.

That being said, I wounder how much LT knew about SanDiego....... he probably never left Texas outside of his college road trips..... how many took him to Sandiego??

At the same time, it would be sweet if the Texans lowballed Reggie, and got him to sign... I know sooo many other teams would really appreciate it.

12. Runner

I agree. I don't know what many expect a 21 year old guy from California to know about Texas and it's rich culture and history. If the average 21 year old Texan moved to say, Virginia, I'd say the locals would be appalled at his lack of knowledge of Virginia's - here it comes - far richer history.

As another example, I think D'Brickashaw's New York upbringing has left him less fully informed about Louisiana than he wants to be if he's drafted by the Saints too.

I'm not from Virginia. I'm just using it as an example.

13. bad

bad Veteran

The guy's from San Diego. For those of you who have never been there, I can tell you that not much time is spent researching U.S. cities. They don't even research their own town. Everyone knows how to get to Mission Beach, Ocean Beach and Pacific Beach, where you can view long legs on rollerskates and bodysurf to your heart's content. Dude.

Honestly, there are very few things I know about Houston and not all of them are flattering. Fourth largest city in the U.S. Texans. Enron. Astrodome.

If any native Houstonians were asked about my hometown (Long Beach) they'd likely have a similar lack of knowledge. Queen Mary. Smog. Riots. Snoop Dogg.

14. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

The texans have probably saved themselves 6 or 7 million with the house debacle in SD. Think about it. The uncertainty regarding what the ultimate sanction will be could definitely affect Reggie's asset value.

Why do I think the timing of this revelation is suspect? Not that I would blame management for putting the screws to any agent.

Guaranteed money over a million or so is absolutely absurd. It's what creates the Tracy McGrady's of the world. IE I got mine COWARDS.

Please don't pull this crap when you get your millions before ever doing jack on a pro field.

Think about it boys. Wouldn't it be tempting to just come up lame on the first carry and walk off with 25 mil (no work 4ever, no work for your kids or grandkids) laughing at the system. This kind of guaranteed money robs all but the best of their motivation. It creates 48 hour wonders like Kelvin Cato who impress and play like a madman for two practices before signing a 5 year multi million deal. It's a stupid setup and may end up destroying pro sports.

15. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

You know, I'm not completely sold on him and I have been a person who has said trading down to get D is good but ...there is something about him...I just like the video and speed

http://media.putfile.com/bigreggiestyle

16. eltoro

eltoro Rookie

You know, I moved here when I was 27 years old and thought that everyone was going to be driving pickup trucks with shotguns in the back. Very few, if any, people outside of this city have anything positive to say about it. While that may be unfair, it is reality. Give the kid some time to learn about the city rather than harping on the sales tax comments...

17. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

I have considered this as well ... I don't think it'll be that dramatic of a difference but it'll make him a little more reasonable in negotiations ... :twocents:

18. bad

bad Veteran

In as far as Bush's professional career is concerned, including his professional destination, the house "debacle" won't amount to squat when all is said and done.

:twocents:

19. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

This controversy first came up in the press 2 months ago according to what I heard on the radio yesterday. I don't blame anyone for going hard core with negotiations of this magnitude. With all the hype I'm sure his agent is being a first rate money grabbing a-hole.

It aint checkers they are playing here.

20. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

Well he can't lose his Heismann anyway :).

This is about Reggie the endorsement and face of the team. Based on his pre-taint sainthood status, I would say this was being heavily factored into coming up with a value. Ditto his state of mind. It's leverage for the team, plain and simple, regardless of what you are saying.