The young RBs and blitz pickups

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Putting the dance shoes away
    Well since the Rams are reportedly going to blitz like crazy on Saturday night, we will get a good look at how far along the young backs are picking them up. If Carr ends up on his butt, don't point a finger at the OL until you at least watch the replay. And see if the back gets yanked out of the game afterwards also.

This is a pet peeve of mine because I thought the OL got way too much blame for all the sacks last year, and not enough blame went to the running backs.

Double Barrel likes this.
  2. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"Rookie Wali Lundy, a sixth-round pick from Virginia, will start against the Rams because of his performance in the 24-14 victory over Kansas City. Lundy had nine carries for 59 yards and a touchdown."
    Lundy's preseason performance exceeded Reggie Bushs because his rushing
    total equaled ESPNs favorite celebrity and he also scored a TD but Bush never sniffed the EZ. Funny though, all I've seen this week on ESPN is Bush but with nearly a mention of Lundy's name ?
    I dunno, but based on his strong effort against the Chiefs is this now Lundy's job to loose ?

3. Marcus

I think that too much will be made by the term "starting running back". I believe Kube will be going with a rotating 'running back by committee' format, as alluding to in the article.

4. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

as much as i want domanick out there starting, i believe that eventually lundy or maybe even morency will be getting the starting role. i just have this gut feeling that domanick will not stay healthy. prove me wrong. i hope davis can stay out there and contribute.

5. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

The new system that David is playing in will have David on the move more. This will help out both the backs and O-line. Moving him out of the pocket and giving him the option to run or throw is going to create problems for the linebackers. If you do send the blitz, two things could happen, you hit your open TE, or as we saw last week, Moulds breaks his route and comes back to the ball for a completion. If you don't send the blitz then you have your receivers take the defender with him giving Carr more room to run.

I really think Kubes could turn this team into what the 49er's were of the 80's/90's.

Of course that is just my opinion.

6. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Blitz pick up was probably the weakest thing in DDs game, he couldn't do it for squat. I hope one of the young guys can do it well.

7. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Lundy got knocked on his tail once I remember last Saturday trying to make a block, but hey at least he got in front of the guy and made an attempt.

8. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Blocking a blitzer is as much about the RB's attitude as anything else. Kubiak has made it clear that aspect of an RB's game is important to him. Maybe these guys will make the mental adjustment.

9. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I have a feeling that even if DD comes back 100% and ready to play by the 1st game of the regular season, that Kubes is still going to utilize all of his backs alot. And, I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps 5 running backs for the season. Kubes knows how much punishment rb's take and that most (especially DD) are going to have some kind of injuries during the long season. So, I think he's going to keep as many "fresh horses" in the stable as possible. It should also save wear and tear on DD and the rest of the backs, and if your main "stud" does go down, you have another one ready to go! JMHO! :cowboy1:

10. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree. I expect to see a platoon system of runners, to keep them fresh and agressive, as well as keep opposing defenses on their toes and guessing. If an RB is hot, then he'll probably get more game time. But that does depend on his blitz pickup, as well, because I believe that this coaching staff has put protecting the QB as a no. 1 priority (and not just in lip service).

Good thread for discussion, man. :thumbup

11. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Not questioning this as fact, but where does this info come from?
    I haven't heard it, and would be interested in reading any info on it...

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The Rams blitzed the Colts enough that their poh-poh's hurt and they complained. Folks are just expecting the Rams to continue the same.

13. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Cool... didn't know that.
    Should be a good test, and good preseason experience.

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I can't wait to see Morency in this scheme. This article was about Vernand but everyone seems to be sleeping on him.

15. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

He still took the man out of the play!!!

:redtowel:

16. Marcus

I can't wait to see him either, It will be interesting to see if Vernand can actually DON'T do in game conditions what Kubes doesn't want him to do.

Schucking the shake and bake habit might be more difficult than he realizes. It should be interesting to watch, and will be REAL interesting to watch Kubes' reaction if he does do it.

17. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

That's because he's been on the roster before. No one is as good as the guy who has never taken a snap - they are brand new and haven't disappointed us yet.

But you already knew that.

Vinny likes this.
  18. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Here's one:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/rams/home.htm
    Interestingly, the first part of that article is about Ragone. :)

threetoedpete likes this.
  19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Morency responds to this style. I always liked him last year, but he did have that tendency to dance. I thought it was due to the line not creating any holes more than anything.

I need to keep this article for these statements alone. To me, it gives us the answer to "The Bush Question". We do not need an expensive RB in this system.

20. J-Man

J-Man Veteran

Double Barrel...good point about Bush. I think that Kubes clearly sees things in a similar manner since he was part of the decision process that let Clinton Portis go in exchange for a top defensive player. Hey! that scenerio seems strangely familiar...