Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The XFL and USFL to Merge as One Spring League!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
XFL, USFL will merge to create one spring league
Published September 19, 2023 10:57 AM

And then there was one. Spring league, that is.

The XFL and USFL are merging, per multiple reports. The deal isn’t done, but it’s close.
Obviously, there will be many questions. Who owns the equity? Who televises the games?

How many teams will be in the combined league? Will they play in home markets or hubs?
Who will run the combined league? Which executives will stay, which ones will go?

Most importantly, what will it be called?

The XFL? The USFL? The USXFL? The SUXFL? (I like the last one.)

In 2023, both leagues competed, with a few weeks of overlap. The XFL started one week after the Super Bowl, and the USFL started in April.

The XFL, the 2023 season represented the third crack at making it go. The USFL returned after multiple decades of going dark in 2022.

Much more information will be coming. We’ll have it here when it arrives.

The XFL and USFL are merging, per multiple reports. The deal isn’t done, but it’s close.
Obviously, there will be many questions. Who owns the equity? Who televises the games?

How many teams will be in the combined league? Will they play in home markets or hubs?
Who will run the combined league? Which executives will stay, which ones will go?

In 2023, both leagues competed, with a few weeks of overlap. The XFL started one week after the Super Bowl, and the USFL started in April.

The XFL, the 2023 season represented the third crack at making it go. The USFL returned after multiple decades of going dark in 2022.

If this works for them (prefer the new league to stay with, USFL)....CFL could be a nice 3rd target. If they join....maybe the new league could be, The NAFL (North American Football League).

This was inevitable. To much duplication of effort across both the leagues. Now, does Houston still have two teams, or does one relocate, or just get dropped from the combination league? If we only get to keep one, let it be the Gamblers. I can't look at another season of those horrid Roughneck helmets.

This was inevitable. To much duplication of effort across both the leagues. Now, does Houston still have two teams, or does one relocate, or just get dropped from the combination league? If we only get to keep one, let it be the Gamblers. I can't look at another season of those horrid Roughneck helmets.

If the Roughnecks brought back their original threads, those were nice. I like those better than the Gamblers. Or the Texans for that matter.

IMG_4336.jpeg

I’m still partial to my “North American Football League” b/c it leaves the option open to include a merger with the CFL in the future. It could include a move into Mexico once that shitehole is cleaned up.

Fans (as well as football execs) here don't want 3-down football and 3-down football is distinctively the canadian game in a way they wouldn't want to abandon.

Reactions: JB
Fans (as well as football execs) here don't want 3-down football and 3-down football is distinctively the canadian game in a way they wouldn't want to abandon.

I will try and catch Canadian football if I can find a game on cable somewhere. It's definitely interesting to watch that style of game, but it's not for everyone.

I will try and catch Canadian football if I can find a game on cable somewhere. It's definitely interesting to watch that style of game, but it's not for everyone.
You can stream one free here when they are playing

edit: I thought you didn't have cable or believe in it

You can stream one free here when they are playing

edit: I thought you didn't have cable or believe in it

I just decided cable the easiest way to go for getting the football minor leagues and more college games. I haven't bought into the NFL yet, and don't think I'll need that anyway.

Merged USFL-XFL apparently plans to sell franchises
By Mike Florio
Published October 7, 2023 09:06 AM

The USFL and XFL are merging. If/when the deal is finalized, the combined spring leagues will pivot toward spreading equity beyond those who currently own the two operations.

Via Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, former Fox Sports executive vice president Larry Jones (who still serves a consultant to Fox) mentioned during a Columbia sports management conference that, in three years, the unified spring league will “go out to sell teams.”

Fox owns the USFL, and a group led by Dany Garcia and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson own the XFL. It’s unclear what the combined league will look like, who will own it, how many teams it will have, where the games will be played, and which networks will televise the games.

The far more important question is whether one spring league will fare better together than two did individually. While they each survived, neither created the impression that it thrived.

So what will they call it? I'd like to suggest the NCFL (Nobody Cares Football League).

Makes sense - too confusing with two leagues

I've read several articles so far that the merged league will keep all 8 USFL teams and bring over 4 of the XFL team, the Roughnecks being one of the teams getting dropped. Based on just the helmets, that's a good decision. LOL

I've read several articles so far that the merged league will keep all 8 USFL teams and bring over 4 of the XFL team, the Roughnecks being one of the teams getting dropped. Based on just the helmets, that's a good decision. LOL
Does Houston have a team in the amalgamation?

I’d still go with North American Football League (NAFL) and eventually try to get the CFL to merge. Move everything over to NFL rules while using the league as a test bed for new NFL rule concepts.

I’d still go with North American Football League (NAFL) and eventually try to get the CFL to merge. Move everything over to NFL rules while using the league as a test bed for new NFL rule concepts.

Why would the CFL change their entire identity and scrap their entire history to merge with a no-name division 3 'pro' league?

Not right away….give the new merged league a couple of seasons of growth before knocking on their door.

Right, because all of a sudden a minor league is gonna be relevant..

Relevant enough, like I said, to give up their entire history and identity..

Just honestly, I mean this with complete sincerity, that doesn't sound completely bananas to you?

Canadian football isn't going to make it in the US, or it would have already. Besides, it was tried once and it failed. Minor league spring football can survive on its own if given time, tv contracts, and a bit more paying customers. Which will happen if the league keeps surviving. They're going into their third year next year. If they make it through again into their fourth year, they could be around for a while.

Canadian football doesn't need to make it in the US.

They make it in Canada more than any minor league will ever make it here.

It's always said that people here can't get enough football, and I think that's partially true. They can't get enough NFL and college football. The lineages and fandoms and top-tier play of those established leagues, they can't get enough of that. Off-brand, subpar football is something that will seemingly be trotted out every so often to just to run out of money because running a whole football league is crazy expensive and ultimately unprofitable. The actual audience is tiny.

USFL and XFL have really just started to build a small fan base. The merger and better marketing will expand on that fan base. The most important thing for this new merger…..stay in business long enough to gain some footing.

CFL actually did have a desire to add teams from the US and did so from 1993 to 1995. Sacramento Gold Miners actually won the 1995 Grey Cup…..becoming first and last team to do that. I believe the CFL would still have interest in the US market, and could be a bit more interested if the USFL/XFL merger creates a buying market over a few more seasons of relativity.

CFL will be adding a 10th team (Atlantic Schooners) soon in Halifax, Nova Scotia, or Moncton, New Brunswick.

I believe the USFL/XFL merger should have 10 functioning teams as well. This new league must get 2+ seasons of operations and growth under their belt before any new steps in expansion could be taken seriously.

I’d even go as far as having Canadian teams play only the Canadian teams to reduce travel costs. Same for the American teams. I believe a Championship Game featuring the Canadian winner versus the US winner would have it’s own marketing slants.

The spring league is a MINOR league. It's always going to be a minor league. Not saying the CFL has talent on par to the NFL, but what you're proposing is like having minor league baseball teams joining and trying to compete in the Japanese Professional league.

And the spring league is already going to be a testing bed for the NFL. I think they eventually move to something like the XFL kickoff, and no telling what other things they adopt.

The Roughnecks unis last year were THE worst in sports, but I think I'd rather keep that name instead of the Gamblers. It'd be even better if the 'Necks brought back the unis and logo of their 1st year, while double rodding Amy Adams Skank and the Titans.

The spring league is a MINOR league. It's always going to be a minor league. Not saying the CFL has talent on par to the NFL, but what you're proposing is like having minor league baseball teams joining and trying to compete in the Japanese Professional league.

And the spring league is already going to be a testing bed for the NFL. I think they eventually move to something like the XFL kickoff, and no telling what other things they adopt.

The Roughnecks unis last year were THE worst in sports, but I think I'd rather keep that name instead of the Gamblers. It'd be even better if the 'Necks brought back the unis and logo of their 1st year, while double rodding Amy Adams Skank and the Titans.

I’ve always expected the new merger to morph into a full minor league system. I only hope they find their footing for the long haul.

The Gamblers will play in Houston in 2024, but I haven't heard where yet. I'd guess they'd play at the U of H stadium like the Roughnecks did, or maybe Rice stadium.

Officially the United Football League. There used to be another United Football League. I hope this one does alright.

Starts with fans supporting their local team. I’ll do my part for the Gamblers. I supported them back in the USFL days, and I’ll do it again.

Back