The worst teams and what their primary needs are:

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by gtexan02, Nov 13, 2005.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

This is excluding coaches:

Houston Texans: LT primary; LB, TE secondary
    Texans need to take a franchise LT first, no ifs ands or butts about it. Some playmaking LBs and a TE who can block and receive are the next most pressing

Cleveland Browns: QB primary
    Browns need someone to lead this team.

Greenbay Packers: Secondary primary
    Greenbay has a good vet QB with a good, young backup. They really need some playmaking corners or safeties.

The Saints: Secondary/LB primary
    The Saints are just underachievers. They have a good offense and some playmakers on defense, but just can't win games

San Francisco 49ers: WR primary
    Brandon Lloyd should not be your primary WR target. Give Smith time to develop

Arizona Cardinals: RB primary, QB secondary
    Their leading rusher in every game so far this season has never broken 55 yards. As much as they need a QB, a RB would really open up their passing game

Baltimore Ravens: QB primary
    Boller is a backup. Plain and simple

New York Jets: QB primary
    I dont think Pennington will be back. And you don't want Testeverde to be your franchise QB

2. Davis37

Davis37 All Pro

pretty good assesment

3. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

You forgot to add QB to Houston needs even a blind man can see we are hurting bad with our current field general.

4. bigcarlos

bigcarlos Veteran

5. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I had been meaning to start a similar thread but you beat me to it. Not a bad post, but why does no one put Tennessee in with this group of teams? They are 2-7 and look horrible, yet any thread like this always leaves them off the list of the worst teams. Here's my take on things:

Houston Texans: LT, LB, CB, OL, S
    We definitely need a LT-quality player in the first round, then an athletic, playmaking LB/DE (pass-rushing DE if we switch to a 4-3), a shut-down corner to play with Dunta (if one is available), another OL if there are any good ones left, and then a S. We could maybe use a TE but that entirely depends on the offensive system that we will run next year.

Cleveland Browns: QB, WR, DL, OL
    Cleveland definitely needs a QB and there are several top choices available, although they did get Charlie Frye last year. They drafted Braylon Edwards last year and he should end up being good, but other than him they just have a few fast WR that aren't real good. They also lost their entire DL to Denver last year and lack depth there. Their OL is mostly solid but a OT wouldn't hurt.

Green Bay Packers: LB, RB, DB
    The Packers definitely need defensive help, mainly in the linebacker and defensive back areas, and they could be looking for another RB since Ahman Green has had some injury problems and may not be as effective after his current knee problem.

New Orleans Saints: LB, DB, QB?, DT
    Another team in need of defensive help. May also be looking for a QB to replace Aaron Brooks since he is yet to lead the team to a decent record and is turnover-prone. Their DEs have put up decent numbers but their DTs seem to be lacking.

San Francisco 49ers: RB, WR, CB
    Their offensive woes have been plentiful ever since Garcia and Owens left. They have tried to make Barlow a solid RB but he can't seem to average over 3.3 yards per carry. Gore has done alright but nothing special, so the 49ers might look to Reggie Bush. They also need more good WRs and can't seem to defend against the pass at all.

Arizona Cardinals: OL, QB, CB, LB
    They drafted J.J. Arrington last year, so I doubt they'll look for a RB. Other than Leonard Davis, their OL is not good at all. The Kurt Warner experiment hasn't done much and I'm not sure their sold on McCown being their leader, so they may look for a QB.

Baltimore Ravens: QB, WR, DE
    It is clear to most people in the NFL that Boller is not the answer at QB, but I'm not sure the Ravens are willing to admit that yet, but with so many good QBs in the draft I see them taking one early and giving Boller one more chance. They still need WRs after bringing in Clayton and Mason, but more importantly they need someone that can get the ball to them. Now that they are back in the 4-3 they might want another pass-rushing DE to go along with Suggs.

New York Jets: QB, WR
    Testaverde and Bollinger can't carry the team and Pennington may not be able to play a full season again. With the likely retirement of Chrebet they could use another WR too. Their defense is pretty solid.

Tennessee Titans: WR, QB, CB, OL
    Calico is alright but they need another good WR since Mason left. McNair is getting old and with a QB-rich draft it may be time to draft one to mentor under McNair for a year before taking over. They took Pacman last year but still can't defend the pass, so they may look for another CB later in the draft. Their OL is pretty solid but aging, so bringing in a young guy up front and maybe sit for part or all of his first year and learn behind their current guys could be an option too.

6. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

They are going to pay Carr the $8 million bonus to activate the rest of his contract. If they are going to pay him that much money, it doesn't make sense to draft a 1st round QB too.

7. Bullpen Drew

Bullpen Drew All Pro

Can we draft a coach with our NO 1 pick??

8. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

it would almost cost that much to get most of the names being thrown around.

9. YoungTexanFan

you need to add OL to both. the titans tackles are both old and could be cap casualities. Name one tackle on the browns? Cleveland has been searching for a franchise LT as long as us.

10. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

8 million for three years or 2.6 mill a year.....pretty small change for an NFL starting QB.

11. YoungTexanFan

Carr's 8 million dollar extension is for only one year...

12. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Fortunately we won't have to waste a draft pick to get a coach.

13. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I was thinking about that, but not sure. Cleveland OL for the most part is relatively solid, but as you pointed out they could use a tackle or two. I'll go change that on there.

14. Blake

Blake MMQB

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Semi-grand Poobah Staff Member

People are very confused by this. Carr signed a 7 year contract. By meeting certain performance standards, years 5, 6 & 7 were voided. The Texans in effect have two options to reinstate part or all of the contract. They can pay $5.5 mil to reinstate years 5 & 6 or $ 8 mil to reinstate years 5, 6 & 7.

edo--that doesn't mean if they pay him $ 8 mil that is all he earns for the next three years, it just means that he is still under contract--he will receive negotiated salaries in each of those years on top of the $ 8 mil bonus.

16. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Thanks for clearing that up for everyone. I wasn't exactly sure on how that was supposed to work.

17. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Pretty fair for the most part. I think the Saints are a talented team, and I think a new coaching staff could do wonders for them. The defense has been lacking, but not for lack of talent. With their offense they should be able to put up a defense that is capable of slowing the opposition down. As for their QB situation I believe Adrian McPherson will get a shot if they decide to sit Brooks. He's a talented young player, but he'd take time to get acclimated to the NFL.

As for the Jets I believe they will be looking for some help on the defensive side of the ball. Namely a replacement for Abraham. It's likely that he'll be with another team next season, and they'll need to find a young player similar to him in the draft. I still think that QB is their most pressing need though.

18. College Texan

College Texan Veteran

Texans--OL--S--TE--LB--WR
    We should have a good draft to fill most these needs

Browns--DL--DB--OL--QB
    Their offense will be scary once they get a QB, their D will take a
    long time to regroup

Titans--RB--DB--OL--QB
    Volek will be good for next year, I think they will pick up Bush, and
    have a good draft, they can bounce back in a year or two

Ravens--QB--OL--WR--DL
    I don't see them risking their first on a QB unless its Leinart or
    Young and they get a second round O-lineman and get Kiwi with
    thier first

Packers--OL--DL--DB--RB
    If they land Bush before the Titans, he will be their pick to begin to
    rebuild the Favre packs. hey have a lot of needs and if the rest of
    their draft goes well, they could bounce back in 3-4 years.

Saints--LB--DL--QB
    Their offence can be really good with the right coaching, but the D
    will keep holding them back, they bounce back in a 5 year plan,
    because as soon as thier draft begins to focus on the D, thier O will
    be aged by the time the D gets good.

Jets--QB--RB--DB
    With our first overall I think they will want top trade us so they can get Leinart. This team is good if they had a QB, they also ned to replace Martin, but that will have to wait a year. The D has not many needs except for a D-Lineman and some secondary help.

19. I think it puts the Texans in the drivers seat regarding Carr. Ok so we pay him the 8 million for 3 years. So that's $2.67 m to start with. We can negotiate a decent salary for the remaining years.

I see our needs in this order as:

1. Oline
    2. Safety
    3. Tight End
    3. Linebackers
    4. Cornerback

20. real

real Guest

our needs:

O-Line
    Tight- end
    Linebackers